•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I think I screwed up !

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
184 replies to this topic

#26 Tel

Tel

Voyager 1

• In Memoriam

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:56 PM

Hi Cenk,

Nor I with regard to corrector plate orientation NOT being required, but there's only one way to find out and that's the hands on approach.

With a bit of careful and methodical work, my bet is you'll get it right and be very proud of yourself in your achievement !

If I do hear of anything else I will let you know. Likewise if you need further help, with artificial star construction or collimation in general, I'm sure the folks here would be glad to assist if and where possible.

Best regards,
Tel

#27 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:22 PM

I should have added to my previous post that I too am skeptical that all C6s don't require corrector orientation. My money is on Cenk's scope being a bit of a "one of", which is likely true from at least the disassembly point of view. I'll bet very very few C6s have ever been taken apart by their owners.

#28 Cenk

Cenk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:33 PM

hehehe. I obviously like taking things I dont know anything about apart !!! I got a photo attached of mine (after purchase and removal of corrector plate). Celestron's and my hunch was that the serial number printed in the middle (behind the secondary) as seen on photo should be in line, correct way up with the dovetail. Which is how i corrected it now. Pretty good guess I think. I agree with not mattering at all.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2170810-cenkscope.jpg

#29 Cenk

Cenk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:39 PM

Looking at the attached photo from an Internet site of a new 6SE sort of proves the theory.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2170828-new6se.jpg

#30 Fusion

Fusion

Viking 1

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:02 PM

I removed the collector plate of my 8SE for cleaning 3-4 times and the orientation does NOT matter. Only thing I had to do was recollimate afterwards.

#31 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:20 PM

Well Lee I think you're a lucky guy. You are very fortunate that you've gotten away with this since Celestron SCT scopes are indeed manufactured with sensitivity to the orientation of the corrector. For most of us changing the orientation of the corrector really does affect the scope's performance.

There are a few recent threads on this subject and a few folks who know the manufacturing process have described how this is all done.

#32 Tel

Tel

Voyager 1

• In Memoriam

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:48 AM

Hi Mark,

Any chance of highlighting those threads you mentioned ? I'd be most interested to learn how it's done and what's involved.

Best regards,
Tel

#33 rick rian

rick rian

Seeker of Truth(s)

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:15 AM

Hi Mark,

Any chance of highlighting those threads you mentioned ? I'd be most interested to learn how it's done and what's involved.

Best regards,
Tel

Ditto Tel ... I'd like to read those also.

#34 Cenk

Cenk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:15 PM

Nexstar is getting proper first light tonight !! Moment of truth... Not that I will be able to tell any difference.

#35 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Vanguard

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:27 PM

I wonder if they are no longer "hand figuring" the sets?

#36 Tel

Tel

Voyager 1

• In Memoriam

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:27 PM

Hi Cenk,

As long as it works to YOUR satisfaction then it must be right ! A short report would be nice though !

Best of luck for tonight then, (sky looking good here too at the moment !)

Regards,
Tel

#37 Cenk

Cenk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:29 PM

Sure will. Yes looking good here too. Which alignment do you guys recommend ? How does the 3 star alignment actually work ? Sounds too good to be true.

#38 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:35 PM

OK, I've dug up a few ... they contain some interesting comments and insight but you have to wade through a bunch of other stuff.

Positioning a secondary in the corrector

Corrector plate manufacture

Broken corrector plate - caution disturbing image

#39 rick rian

rick rian

Seeker of Truth(s)

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:37 PM

Thanks Mark,

I found the last link to be the most interesting ... sounds like a lot of differing opinions regarding this subject. I only hope this is something I never have to deal with. :smirk:

#40 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:53 PM

I wonder if this is more a function of the size of the scope/corrector. I'm pretty sure it's critical on the 8" and up scopes, otherwise there wouldn't need be so much care taken in marking and positioning it. Perhaps in the smaller scopes it doesn't make any/as much difference...?

#41 Cenk

Cenk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:20 PM

Arghh, slightly changing the subject. I can't align my scope ! I tried 3 star, 2 star and 2 star auto. No joy. I checked with a spirit level and I am level. What am I doing wrong ? I even used the proper coordinates of my position using GPS.

#42 Tel

Tel

Voyager 1

• In Memoriam

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:55 PM

Used the American date format ? (Month/Day/Year) ?
Regards,
Tel

#43 TonyDralle

TonyDralle

Apollo

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:56 PM

Which alignment do you guys recommend ? How does the 3 star alignment actually work ? Sounds too good to be true.

The 3-star SkyAlign method works well if you play by the rules (bright stars, centered accurately). But you would use this method only if you don't know any (or very few) star names. If you do, then use one of the two-star methods, which also work well. Polaris, if it is visible from your observing site, is a good choice for star 1.

Incidentally, 3-star SkyAlign actually does a two-star alignment; the third star is used only to confirm the telescope's identification of two of the stars.
- Tony

#44 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:48 PM

I use the auto-two-star and it works for me. Where I live and use my scope, I don't have a wide-enough viewing area for the 3-star SkyAlign to work. I tend to use Polaris and for the second star, Rigel. Last night I successfully tracked the Orion Nebula for an hour and it only drifted slightly in my 32mm eyepiece.

#45 Cenk

Cenk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:04 PM

I tried both the auto 2 star and the 3 star. I just managed to get it reasonably right. How accurate is it supposed to be ?

#46 Cenk

Cenk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:08 PM

Also got dew now !!!!!! Cant see very much through the finder and the view through eyepiece is hazy. Which isnt ideal observing the Orion nebula. Adds extra nebulosity.

#47 rick rian

rick rian

Seeker of Truth(s)

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:12 PM

Cenk,

I gotta ask ... is there a cloud following you about? :grin:

It seems like if it weren't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all ... :cool:

Hang in there sir, things will work out. :bow:

#48 Cenk

Cenk

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:31 PM

tell me about it !!! Just looking around to get a Dew shield now. Right here is a brief first fright report, sorry light !

Firstly alignment. Was a bit of a problem initially. tried 3 star, then auto 2 star. no joy. Realised that I have been using Summer time in the settings, not sure if it is summer time but I removed it and it got better. Still not very precise (especially not for Sol objects, like Saturn and Mars tonight).

Used, Rigel,Sirius and Procyon as my alignment stars. Got the success message, when I then asked it to move to Saturn, it was a few degress out, had to manually center it.
Move from Saturn to Orion Nebula was ok. All was a bit dewy at this point, so don't ask about quality. From Orion over to Mars was a bit out. From Mars to Castor was out, then the move to Polaris was way out but in the correct sort of direction. If I didn't know where these objects were, I would I probably missed all apart from Saturn.

Is this normal ?

#49 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:32 PM

I tried both the auto 2 star and the 3 star. I just managed to get it reasonably right. How accurate is it supposed to be ?

Well, I wouldn't rely on it for serious astrophotography where prolonged exposers are necessary. It does drift somewhat.

#50 osbourne one-nil

osbourne one-nil

Vanguard

• -----
  • Moderators

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:36 PM

Your alignment stars were very close together. I aligned tonight on Polaris, Castor and Rigel and that seemed to work a treat.

By the way, we're not into summer time until 4th Sunday in March.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics