•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Woodlawn Lake Observatory

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
414 replies to this topic

#1 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

• topic starter

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:29 PM

Well I've passed the dreaming phase and entered into the planning phase. Scott and the BYO team will be making the journey to San Antonio, TX soon to build my roll-off roof observatory. I had originally planned to build 50 miles outside of town on some property that my brother and I have but have changed my mind and decided to build one at home. The thought of an hour drive one way became less and less attractive the more I thought about it. I work odd hours and am on call at the hospital most nights, the thought of just getting comfortable at the EP and having to shut down and drive back to town on a moments notice took all the joy out of that idea.

I live 2 blocks from a 50 acre lake, Woodlawn Lake to be exact, hence the name. It's a beautiful neighborhood lake with a lighthouse, sailing, walking paths, sport courts and the BEST 4th of July fireworks display I've seen. The view of the fireworks from my front yard is amazing, it'll be even better from a rooftop observatory!

The plan is to take the roof off of the center portion of my 2 car garage and studio and build an 8X10 roll-off on a mezzanine floor. Similar to John Crillys' obs but with a peaked roof. The roof will slide to the west over the existing studio space. The studio will do double duty as a control room and studio. The obs will be up a short flight of stairs. The scope will be mounted on a pier that extends down to the garage floor below. The south wall will fold down giving great views of the southern sky and that fireworks display. This is a rough sketch of the obs that I drew and sent to Scott thinking that he'd tell me I was crazy and it couldn't be done. An hour later I got an e-mail that said it could be done and things have taken off from there. When I thought of an observatory Scott was the only one I wanted to build it, his work is beautiful. So wish me luck, the adventure begins now.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2186865-img009.jpg

#2 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

• topic starter

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:36 PM

A view of the lake

Attached Thumbnails

• 2186881-82213651_c410be74ae_o.jpg

#3 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

• topic starter

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:36 PM

Another

Attached Thumbnails

• 2186882-woodlawn-lake_town.jpg

#4 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

• topic starter

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:38 PM

1 more

Attached Thumbnails

• 2186887-DSC00376.jpg

#5 Spaz

Spaz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:40 PM

Excellent work! And such a restful-sounding name. Almost like a cemetary!

#6 Rick

Rick

Gemini

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:42 PM

Cool. I am a San Antonio native myself. My Dad grew up near Woodlawn lake too. Hope it turns out to be everything you wanted! :bow:

clear skies,
Rick

#7 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

• topic starter

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:53 PM

Excellent work! And such a restful-sounding name. Almost like a cemetary!

Lakeview would make a good cemetery name, that's why I didn't use it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2186931-Lakeview_Cem_Gate.jpg

#8 Paula E

Paula E

Non-standard Title

• -----

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:59 PM

Very nice Karen! San Antonio is a neat town, and that looks like a lovely location. I'll be really excited to see your progress!

#9 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:59 PM

Karen, Congratulations on your upcoming Woolawn Lake Observatory! A beautiful name, & I can see that the name fits the area. This will be a most exciting time, with Scott building it, luck doesn't enter into it, his work is amazing!

I think you will be far happier to have the Observatory at home, like you mentioned that drive isn't too desirable.

Keep us posted, as we are all so happy for you! :bow: :bow:

Carol

#10 Scott Horstman

Scott Horstman

Vendor - Backyard Observatories

• Vendors

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:07 PM

Karen sure drew up a great plan too! Makes my life easier :)

#11 Pedestal

Pedestal

Skylab

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:10 PM

Sounds like a good plan, Karen. Will be looking for your updates. I used to sail on Woodlawn Lake. I had forgotten the name, though!
Any idea on timing?
Hubert

#12 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

• topic starter

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:22 PM

About a month away. :whee:

#13 Pedestal

Pedestal

Skylab

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:16 PM

Just in time for decent weather... :)

#14 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:40 AM

Karen sure drew up a great plan too! Makes my life easier :)

Quick, Karen, negotiate a lower price from Scott while he's thinking its going to be "easier"! Just :poke: you Scott.

Seriously, from my experience, I'm surprised he would even need "plans" - WSO was built, near as I can tell, from synaptic memory!

That said, since your's is modifying an existing building, I'm sure y'all got them there codes n thangs what require fancy plans and all!

Congratulations - you will love it, love having and using it, and be very happy!

Show Scott some good 'cue while he's down there, ok?

clear enough skies

#15 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

• topic starter

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:07 PM

Received a set of plans from Scott @ BYO the other day. The excitement builds! Spent the last couple of days in the garage imagining it without a roof and with a rooftop observatory instead. My neighbors think that the fact that I'm building an obs is great, they promise that when the roof is open their porch light in back will be turned off. The tree trimmers are due next week, Thursday or Friday at the latest. Tomorrow the studio/control room organization begins. Debating between painting the walls or paneling them. I'm leaning towards paneling since it's faster and covers a multitude of sins. Flooring in the control room will probably be indoor/outdoor carpeting since it's a ground level room and will need to be vacuumed periodically. So many decisions to make and things to do to prepare for Scotts arrival. Everyday brings the dream closer to reality. :hamsterdance:

#16 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:18 PM

:bow: Way to go Karen. Your sleeping at night is officially over! You will be too excited!

Again, congratulations!

Carol

#17 Mike Lewis

Mike Lewis

Ranger 4

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:31 PM

Congrats Karen!!!!
Scott and the gang do first class work!!! You'll love it!!!
Ahhhh.....the fun begins :jump:
Best skies

#18 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 16 February 2008 - 11:49 PM

Karen.....You lucky so an' so! That little gem is going to be a piece of classic ingenuity! Scott's going to have fun on that baby. The basics never change but there will be a few challenges along the way. Lots of extra little things that aren't real obvious to some who will be following this project along. It'll take a good part of a week if not all....no 2-3 day trip through the tulips on this. My biggest hope for everyone is no early showers or any other inclement weather especially if you have a finished off garage etc. Good luck and you'll have someone who will care doing the work proper.....I hear Scott isn't too crazy about doing warranty work by proxy! :lol: :lol: ;)Mike

#19 Snaproll

Snaproll

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:10 PM

:bow: Way to go Karen. Your sleeping at night is officially over! You will be too excited!

Again, congratulations!

Carol

:waytogo:

#20 SometimesKen

SometimesKen

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:55 PM

Wow! Way cool !!
Good Luck Karen and try to get some sleep now, 'cause once your observatory is up you'll think "sleep is overrated"!

Remember ... you have to take lots a pics!!
Thanks for sharing
Ken

#21 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:57 PM

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to Lowes I go. Started moving things around in the studio (soon to be studio/control room) and discovered that some small 4 legged critters (AKA mice) have found their way in and have built a nest(unoccupied at the moment)under my Craftsman tool chest. Time for a bit of clean-up and barricade work. Amazing how small a hole the little blighters can get thru, this one's a little smaller than a quarter but it will soon be plugged up.

"Might as well" is going to be my motto for the next few weeks. Might as well get a few filters for the ShopVac, might as well put new guts in the toilet tank in the studio/control room bathroom, might as well replace the shower head too, might as well look at lighting while I'm there and carpet and paneling and on and on and on. Might as well put in a little O.T. at work while I'm at it cause something tells me I'll be hanging out at Lowes ALOT!

Since this is actually becoming a reality I'll start with the pix soon and you can all come along on the journey to Woodlawn Lake Observatory. :photo:

#22 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:58 PM

Sleep is, indeed, "wicked overrated"...

Congrats, Karen! Can't wait for the pics!

btw: those of use "more recent" BYO-folks, have sorta set a, ahem, trend...

lotsa pics...

Turns out Dianne really gets cranky when she can't see what
Scotts "really" upta on that there road!

:lol:

Seriously, it is a fabulous thing, having a byo!

Now ONLY if it could cure tendonitis... :(

clear enough skies

#23 Dob Frog

Dob Frog

Ninjamphibian

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:56 PM

btw: those of use "more recent" BYO-folks, have sorta set a, ahem, trend...

lotsa pics...

Turns out Dianne really gets cranky when she can't see what
Scotts "really" upta on that there road!

:lol:

Nah, silly Dave, I know what Scott's doing, it's just that I need pictures to remember what he looks like by the time he comes home. :lol:

Although, we really do get a kick out seeing the buildings going up and how y'all catch him actually getting a break and the crew in action. :roflmao:

We sure are looking forward to working with you Karen! It'll be a fun project!

#24 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:33 PM

Thanks Diane, I'm looking forward to it with so much excitement. I rolled out the SV80 NHNG on its ScopeBuggy tonight to get in some views of the moon and realized that in the not too distant future all I'll have to do is throw a couple of switches and the roof will roll back, the sky will be overhead, and the scopes will be ready.

I've started to get ready for Scotts arrival, lots of clean-up and organizing to do before he gets here. You never realize how much junk you have until you want to use that space for something else. The dogs know somethings up and are underfoot constantly. It's bad enough with the Lab Shadow, keeping an eye on things by parking herself EXACTLY where she'll be in the way. Eventually she gets bored and wanders off. The Great Dane, Jake, has his big self in the middle of everything and NEVER wanders off. I hope Scott likes BIG dogs cause Jake's 7' tall when he stands up to say hello.

I'll take lots of pics so you can see what your sweetie is up to down here in Texas. I'll feed him well and keep him safe for you. Tell him to e-mail me so we can settle on a date and get his deposit to him. As the Pointer Sisters so aptly put it...."I'm so excited". :band: :banjodance: :elephdance: :hamsterdance: :tomatodance: :whee: :flexible:

#25 Dob Frog

Dob Frog

Ninjamphibian

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:56 PM

Hi Karen, Jake will need to be careful. Since he's that tall, Scott may put him to work. Shadow too. They'll be hauling materials up to him and the crew. :lol:

And like I tell everyone else, don't go spoiling Scott and the crew. I'll have to learn how to do Texas BBQ and all. (Dave (bowmoreman) got him started on using a smoker after Scott was there. :foreheadslap:) :grin:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics