•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comments on Sky Channels

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
365 replies to this topic

#1 raf1

raf1

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:45 AM

Hey Neil - thanks for getting this started. Would be great if some of our southern hemisphere brethren could share their skies with us too.

Cheers,

Ron

#2 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:49 AM

Hey Neil - thanks for getting this started. Would be great if some of our southern hemisphere brethren could share their skies with us too.

Cheers,

Ron

I completely agree. I would almost kill for a live color view of Eta Carinae!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

#3 Alicatt

Alicatt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:00 PM

Great! I've run out of bandwidth but have a Live! channel.
I've re-graded my internet connection to allow suffucient bandwidth, now I have to get my scope over from Belgium and I'll be up and running here.
New connection is scheduled for 4th March and scope should be here for easter.
http://live.yahoo.com/Alicatt

#4 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:32 PM

Hey Randy and Chris, what do you guys think about this idea. I don't want to step on anybodys toes here.

Neil

#5 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:04 PM

Randy and Chris: I think Neil's idea is a fabulous one - it'll make it easy for folks browsing by to find all the potential "webcasting" assisted video setups.

Here's another idea, guys: on this links thread/page, why don't we Add (in a table fashion) a ClearDarkSky Clock for everyone who has one?

That way - at a glance, we can all peruse to see who MIGHT be broadcasting (afterall a bunch of white squares aren't worth botherin)...

This combo-burrito would make it killer easy/quick to find good webcast potential "channels"...

thoughts?

clear enough skies (somewhere with a Stella or Mallincam!)

#6 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:52 PM

Randy and Chris: I think Neil's idea is a fabulous one - it'll make it easy for folks browsing by to find all the potential "webcasting" assisted video setups.

Here's another idea, guys: on this links thread/page, why don't we Add (in a table fashion) a ClearDarkSky Clock for everyone who has one?

That way - at a glance, we can all peruse to see who MIGHT be broadcasting (afterall a bunch of white squares aren't worth botherin)...

This combo-burrito would make it killer easy/quick to find good webcast potential "channels"...

thoughts?

clear enough skies (somewhere with a Stella or Mallincam!)

Daves idea about the clear sky clocks really kind of rounds off the original idea. As you can see I've already done mine, and if you PM me yours I'll take care of it!

Great idea Dave! It would give us the heads up on whick channel had nothing on that night for sure. Just like an astronomy TV guide!

Clear skies, somewhere!
Neil

#7 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:41 PM

Well,
I have sold many cameras to people in Australia and two to individuals in Malaysia just north of the equator. So, some of them could provide images of the stuff we can't see from the CONUS. I will try to get some of them to join Yahoo live

Jack

#8 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:46 PM

Well,
I have sold many cameras to people in Australia and two to individuals in Malaysia just north of the equator. So, some of them could provide images of the stuff we can't see from the CONUS. I will try to get some of them to join Yahoo live

Jack

That's what I'm talking about Jack! Global coverage. Someone somewhere will have a view of the sky, and do more for outreach than anything I can think of.

Clear skies somewhere!
Neil

#9 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:55 PM

Holy Smokes!! Neil have you ever had a busy day! Nice the way your organizing this whole new aspect of our hobby. Boy who would have thought this just a few short month ago. I'm sure the moderators wouldn't mind abit. This is the place we gather then we go to some one's observatory for a night of great views with just a click of the mouse! GREAT GAS MILEAGE!! :lol:
Like everyone was saying, in a little while we might be world wide observing views that I for one may have never had a chance to see.(Southern Hemisphere)
Make room Neil on the mantle. I can smell a Cloudy Nights Star Contributor Award! :)

#10 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:00 AM

I think it's super!

Just as long as the links are done as has been done so far they're fine. I think it might be better to use the UBB threads shortcut links, but as long as they don't get too long, this will work.

On second thought, I'll go edit them to UBB thread links for you...

#11 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:25 AM

Ok guys,

There will (of course) have to be some rules.

1. ONLY Astro views allowed. Nothing off color or personal.
2. The moderators will have the right (and duty) to remove links that EVER display anything other than what would be allowed under the CN ToS.
3. The moderators' decisions will be final, no arguments.
4. Neil is going to be "tagged" to be the "liaison" to get things in to the thread. He started it, and is the only one (besides a moderator or admin) who can edit his post. (And unfortunately he'll have to do something to his post roughly every 24 hours to keep the ability to edit.) (I'll work on that).
5. Let's see some GREAT live views. LIVE ONLY!!!

#12 Alicatt

Alicatt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:04 AM

Just a thought, along with the CSC a rough location on the world to see where the live feed would be coming from, or build a set of links to the likes of google maps.
I see that google earth now lets you look outwards towards the sky.
My rough co-ordinates are 58.25N 3.06W

#13 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 February 2008 - 06:42 AM

Alicatt, I'm not sure but I think the CSC only works here in North America. :( I was wondering if there is a European version on the web some where? :praying: Since it would definitely help to let a fellow know who might be broadcasting.

#14 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:26 AM

I was just checking out if CSC cover Europe and just what I thought it doesn't, but there is a similar site called "7 Timer" so here is the link to it:

http://7timer.y234.cn/eng/index.htm

So hopefully you will be able to make that work some how. It doesn't seem to like my computer that much. Appears to be only half there. Good luck
Just tried another, but I don't think any will have the same format as North America. But check it out anyway:

http://www.weatherwe...t/astronomy.htm

http://www.metcheck....locationID=3734

#15 Alicatt

Alicatt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:42 AM

thanks Kent, I'll have a look at it. I knew that CSC was not available here... I had tried before!

#16 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:56 AM

4. Neil is going to be "tagged" to be the "liaison" to get things in to the thread. He started it, and is the only one (besides a moderator or admin) who can edit his post. (And unfortunately he'll have to do something to his post roughly every 24 hours to keep the ability to edit.) (I'll work on that).

Randy, I don't think its unfortunate at all. I'd be happy to help out. It should be a great outreach tool for anyone with a computer, and internet.

Happy to help out!
Neil

#17 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:37 AM

Ok guys,

There will (of course) have to be some rules.

1. ONLY Astro views allowed. Nothing off color or personal.
2. The moderators will have the right (and duty) to remove links that EVER display anything other than what would be allowed under the CN ToS.
3. The moderators' decisions will be final, no arguments.
5. Let's see some GREAT live views. LIVE ONLY!!!

Randy, I think this makes a lot of sense and is emminently fair. One question: when we are NOT broadcasting, is it acceptable to have a static "screen shot/picture" (which is superimposed with, I believe "not broadcasting" by Live!Yahoo)?

For example in my case, I just have a pic of my observatory?

Cause we aren't going to be broadcasting all the time...

I ask because that isn't "strictly" live.

I think we're all going to have to be very diligent to "self-police" this, because as Randy surmises, it *could* have the potential to snowball out of control. I think it behooves all of us with links here to be quick/ready to hit the "alert mod" button, so's things can get "delisted" (if/when they must).

The good news is, that there is a certain pre-requisite set of not (today) inexpensive hardware involved - that will tend to keep non-astro trollers and other such assorted internet riff-raff away...

I am LOVING this idea - imagine the ability for those in the south to see M51, for those in the North to see Eta Carinae, and so forth!

This is GREAT!

Clear enough skies

#18 HendyPhoto

HendyPhoto

Sith Lord

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:23 AM

This is great Neil!! God bless you for taking this on!! And thanks to you too Randy for handing the controls over to Neil!
ANYWAY, I have to ask though, during the day and setup time, when I am testing the camera and internet connection, I aim my camera at the neighbors roof or on the wall of my observatory to check settings, connection and focus. Sometimes I leave the channel open and forget to turn it off. Like right now I just looked and it's still aimed at my neighbors roof. Is that a violation? ALSO, sometimes it's switched to the webcam for live chat. I think I am confused as to what is a violation. Thanks!!!

#19 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:31 AM

This is great Neil!! God bless you for taking this on!! And thanks to you too Randy for handing the controls over to Neil!
ANYWAY, I have to ask though, during the day and setup time, when I am testing the camera and internet connection, I aim my camera at the neighbors roof or on the wall of my observatory to check settings, connection and focus. Sometimes I leave the channel open and forget to turn it off. Like right now I just looked and it's still aimed at my neighbors roof. Is that a violation? ALSO, sometimes it's switched to the webcam for live chat. I think I am confused as to what is a violation. Thanks!!!

You can go into the edit my settings and over ride the last "snap shot" with anything you want. If your worried, just put up something that's astro related, and I'm sure it will be fine.

Talk to you tonight at the e-star party!

Clear skies somewhere!
Neil

#20 Gavin Bray

Gavin Bray

Messenger

• -----

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:59 PM

Well,

Jack

I'd be happy to oblige if and when our weather permits. The only issue I can see is the timezone difference but I guess this can be worked out.

URL is: http://live.yahoo.com/astrogav
Latitude: 28°S
Setup: 14" Meade + MCHP

Regards
Gavin

#21 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:39 PM

Well,

Jack

I'd be happy to oblige if and when our weather permits. The only issue I can see is the timezone difference but I guess this can be worked out.

URL is: http://live.yahoo.com/astrogav
Latitude: 28°S
Setup: 14" Meade + MCHP

Regards
Gavin

Gotcha covered. If you could give us some more info on your location, that would be great!

Looking forward to some views of the south!

Neil

#22 Gavin Bray

Gavin Bray

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:19 AM

Neil

My location is Gold Coast, Australia (GMT+10:00).

The problem with this is trying to find a suitable time. My midnight is 9am US Pacific time and 6am US Eastern time. I guess I could always stay up all night one weekend... :)

Regards
Gavin

#23 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:04 AM

Thanks Gavin.

I think you would find, at least on the weekends, that many of us northerners will do what it takes to get a view of some southern skies. Only one way to find out, right! I know I'd be there.

Clear Skies...
Neil

#24 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:18 AM

Randy, I think this makes a lot of sense and is emminently fair. One question: when we are NOT broadcasting, is it acceptable to have a static "screen shot/picture" (which is superimposed with, I believe "not broadcasting" by Live!Yahoo)?

For example in my case, I just have a pic of my observatory?

Cause we aren't going to be broadcasting all the time...

I ask because that isn't "strictly" live.

Ya, that's fine. I just don't want this to end up replaying a bunch of recorded stuff that's NOT astro-related or it'll end up getting the wrong kind of attention.

#25 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:32 AM

Dwelling in Pacific Time, it would be great to check out some images from Southern skies in the morning! No worries, mate!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics