•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comments on Sky Channels

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
365 replies to this topic

#26 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:40 PM

Randy,

Last Tuesday, I was broadcasting some of the DVD sessions I recorded with my HyperStar CPC110 and MallinCam Color HYPER PLUS while at Chiefland Astronomy Village. Last Thursday, I was broadcasting some DVD sessions recorded with other scopes including my Orion ED80, Celestron 6" refractor, Meade 8" LX200 GPS and 17.5" TeleKit. People in the audience were asking for views through different sizes and types of scopes and I was able to comply.

I assume that this type of "recorded" material would be appropriate. :question:

Jack

#27 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:23 PM

I think as long as it is just a playback, and there's some sort of indication that it is, would be fine.

I wouldn't want something 'pre-recorded' to be confused with a LIVE observation session...

What say others? It's your forum...

#28 raf1

raf1

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:13 PM

After all, this is the "Cloudy Nights" forum. If I'm socked in, I'd especially appreciate Jack's DVD playbacks in lieu of about anything else I'd be doing!

Thanks

#29 skyguy88

skyguy88

Ranger 4

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:17 PM

If someone in Australia will take the pains to record an observing session and then play it back at a convenient time for me, I sure want to see it.
I would think that some of the best recorded sessions would be from dark sites where live access is not possible. We would be penalizing ourselves if our rules barred them.

Bill McDonald

#30 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:30 PM

I just got back from my first Astronomy club meeting and was wondering if I missed anything? Also can't believe that their still trying to finish the Nascar race?? See were not the only one's that get our parade rained upon. :foreheadslap:

Ps That is so sweet Lars!!! :bow:

#31 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:00 PM

SOOO cool!

I love having the overview at the top and the individual ones down the listing.

Great work guys!

#32 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:05 PM

Isn't that something else Randy! So professional looking!
What a great bunch of people on here willing to do so we can enjoy our hobby. Wait till the others catch on! (the one's that don't visit this part of the site) I mean this is simply amazing!! What a revelation.

#33 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:12 PM

I'm going to isolate "Sky Channels" at the top of the forum, and move the comments to their own thread.

#34 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:29 AM

I'm going to isolate "Sky Channels" at the top of the forum, and move the comments to their own thread.

This is great stuff guys! I'm sure it can and will be improved with everyone’s input, but in a short window of time this sure has shaped up to be an awesome tool for those people unaware of this type of technology. Now you can simply say "stop by, and I'll show you" :lol:

I guess this thread has been allocated for our comments on Sky Channels, so if anyone wishes to sign up, or let us know when you will be broadcasting, this is where it should be done. You can also PM me your info, and I'll take care of it that way as well.

By the way, I should be LIVE tonight if my CSC isn't lying to me, but my computer object locater took a nose dive on Saturday, and I'm not sure if I can get it fixed by tonight, but I'm sure we can see some of the easier to find things. I'm getting a message on my hand controller that says "encoder error!" Not sure what that means, but hopefully Orion’s tech support does. Anyway, you guys stop by tonight and hang out a while.

I see Dave's CSC looks pretty good too!

What’s the temp going to be like Dave?

Clear skies somewhere!
Neil

#35 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:11 AM

Neil,

Starting on March the 5th, I will at the Kisatchie Starparty in west-central Louisiana. It is held in a national forest and is one of the darkest areas of Louisiana. There is no AC power available, but if we can isolate the super quiet Honda generators in the borrow pit behind the observing field to eliminate the noise, and if my camping buddy is able to do likewise and keep his satellite internet running at night, I may be able to do a "live" broadcast using my CPC1100 HyperStar and MallinCam Color HYPER PLUS.

Jack

#36 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:23 AM

Neil,

Starting on March the 5th, I will at the Kisatchie Starparty in west-central Louisiana. It is held in a national forest and is one of the darkest areas of Louisiana. There is no AC power available, but if we can isolate the super quiet Honda generators in the borrow pit behind the observing field to eliminate the noise, and if my camping buddy is able to do likewise and keep his satellite internet running at night, I may be able to do a "live" broadcast using my CPC1100 HyperStar and MallinCam Color HYPER PLUS.

Jack

That will truly be one for the books. These cameras do great from our light poluted back yards, but realy show there stripes under dark skies. Your videos from the last few weeks prove this. The fact that you are running at f/1.8 doesn't hurt either :bow: I'll probably plan both of my vacations this year for these type of events as well. I know that I'll be at the Mid Atlantic Star Party in Oct/Nov, and I'll need to check and see which other one will be "a must be at" event!

Feel free to stop by and chat a while tonight. I'm sure you'll have some pointers for me and my rig. I should be on shortly after sundown.

Neil

#37 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:13 AM

Temps should be a whole lot better tonight, I'm going to give it a go using my EQ mounted Vixen ED100Sf. It'll be much easier for my first "broadcast attempt" that way (everything within reach.

The real question is going to be, will my wireless internet REACH that far or not... Signal strength might be an issue, but, we'll see!

I did get out for about 60 minutes last night, enough to setup the Dob on the RTP, get it aligned, and check out Saturn, M42, and M41(? - going from memory here - open cluster in Canis Major). All visual.

When you have 6" of icy snow on the ground, it gets to be a real issue setting up all the OTHER stuff (power, cables, laptop, etc.) for the MCHP and Live broadcast, and with the breeze and the temps, I knew I wasn't going to "last" for that! :lol:

So long way of saying, my first broadcast (if it is tonight) will definitely be "aperature challenged"..

That said the Light Pollution from bouncing starlight off all the snow cover, was keeping my SQM readings down around 19.05 - even without Luna up! I quite simply couldn't find much of anything last night using the Dob! Too much LP even for 10" - at least visually. I couldn't even find M81/82!

The goto EQ finds things no problem at least!

Maybe see you all tonight!

clear enough skies

#38 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:37 AM

Temps should be a whole lot better tonight, I'm going to give it a go using my EQ mounted Vixen ED100Sf. It'll be much easier for my first "broadcast attempt" that way (everything within reach.

The real question is going to be, will my wireless internet REACH that far or not... Signal strength might be an issue, but, we'll see!

I did get out for about 60 minutes last night, enough to setup the Dob on the RTP, get it aligned, and check out Saturn, M42, and M41(? - going from memory here - open cluster in Canis Major). All visual.

When you have 6" of icy snow on the ground, it gets to be a real issue setting up all the OTHER stuff (power, cables, laptop, etc.) for the MCHP and Live broadcast, and with the breeze and the temps, I knew I wasn't going to "last" for that! :lol:

So long way of saying, my first broadcast (if it is tonight) will definitely be "aperature challenged"..

That said the Light Pollution from bouncing starlight off all the snow cover, was keeping my SQM readings down around 19.05 - even without Luna up! I quite simply couldn't find much of anything last night using the Dob! Too much LP even for 10" - at least visually. I couldn't even find M81/82!

The goto EQ finds things no problem at least!

Maybe see you all tonight!

clear enough skies

Sounds good Dave. I'll have both my page and your page up on the screen and be conected to both. You will have the gotos and I'll have the apeture. A combined force if I've ever heard of one :grin: I'm going on at sundown, so I'll keep you all updated.

Neil

#39 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:49 PM

Change Rock Mallins info to...

Posted Image Ottawa, Ontario

#40 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:24 PM

Fixed.

#41 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:23 PM

My CSC is apparently not figuring on the light cloudiness that has crept in... enough that I can't really align (tried)... so even though it is NOT cold, and there aren't ANY winds... it isn't (quite) clear enough skies!!!

:cloudy: :doah: :nonono: :bawling:

Oh well... it WILL happen!

clear enough skies, guys!

#42 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:05 PM

Well I just finished up my first LIVE show tonight (for the lack of a better word) and I learned a lot. The night was frought with complications, and Rock was good enough to jump online and give me pointers from his spot on the globe. How cool is that! With this technology, not only can we share our skies with one another, but the creator of your camera can tell you what you are doing wrong! Its a little humbling to say the least. Its so much fun to be able to do this with you guys. Its like taking a road trip to the stars with people you share the same passion with.

Thanks for keeping me company tonight. I'll have clouds for the next couple of days so its on someone else with better skies. Its just as well anyway. Orion is sending me a new COL, so the next time I broadcast I'll have gotos.

So the question now is "whos next"? Jack???

#43 HendyPhoto

HendyPhoto

Sith Lord

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:41 PM

Nice job tonight Neil! VERY good! I had to run for a few and when I came back, everybody had gone to bed!! lol I hope to see y'all tomorrow! I am hoping to learn everything there is to know before I even get my camera! It's going to be a long painful wait! LOL (but well worth it of course)

#44 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:29 AM

This all sounds very exciting, but whenever I click one of the links in the other htread, I get a message they're not broadcasting.

I realize I'm probably in the wrong time zone for this, but on the off chance that I can get to my computer at the time somebody is broadcasting, it would be nice to have a button or so next to the list of urls that lights up when they're active.

#45 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:39 AM

This all sounds very exciting, but whenever I click one of the links in the other htread, I get a message they're not broadcasting.

I realize I'm probably in the wrong time zone for this, but on the off chance that I can get to my computer at the time somebody is broadcasting, it would be nice to have a button or so next to the list of urls that lights up when they're active.

Best way to quickly figure it out, Mark, is to click on the SkyChannels Quick Preview Link... it takes a minute to load, and then they are ALL in thumbnail mode.

The reason the all seem to not be broadcasting is because, well, most all weren't broadcasting (for various reasons). Due to weather and personal situations, I would anticipate that broadcasting by any given one of us will be spotty at best...

But, hopefully with enough of us, there'll always be at least one.

Like last night was Neil! :jump: :bow: That was great Neil! Gave me the "astro fix" I needed after spending all that time this weekend flocking! And then to be let down by my CSC!

I can only wish for DEW to be one of my problems just now :lol:

Clear enough skies

#46 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:38 AM

Thank you Dave for pointing out that quick preview link! :bow: I hadn't noticed it before... :bigblush:

#47 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:56 AM

Thank you Dave for pointing out that quick preview link! :bow: I hadn't noticed it before... :bigblush:

Mark, another way to quickly figure out who might be broadcasting is by checking the CSC beside their name. I realize that that would only apply to those in North America, but for the most part you could quickly see who wasn't broadcasting if you saw a bunch of white beside their name. We are still working on a cloud filter :lol: If you see a bunch of blue beside a name you're more likely to see something on that channel.

Clear skies somewhere!
Neil

#48 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:08 AM

Thanks Neil; do these CSC always give current time at the far left?

#49 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:55 AM

Thanks Neil; do these CSC always give current time at the far left?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but if you simply click on the CSC beside the name it will open up that persons clock and give you, by the hour, the cloud cover, transparency, seeing, darkness, wind, humidity, and temperature by the hour for that region. Once the CSC page is open you can click on the small blocks under any of these conditions and an overview map of that area will show you more detail than you will need to figure out what is like there.

Hope this helped.
Neil

#50 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:32 AM

Neil,

I was having technical difficulties with my webcam last night. Plus I had to go pick up an alderwoman in town to show her the lights that were not shielded and affecting my observatory. As I pulled up in her driveway, I was greated by one of those offending sodium lights. :foreheadslap:

I knew I had a hard sell to make. I showed her my back yard and the lights in my neighbor's yards and she said she would see what she could do. The other alternative is the construction of a 30' long 10'high light barier. I can't call it a fence as the town only allows 6' fences. I told her it would be a 6' fence starting 4' off of the ground. :roflmao:

Jack

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics