•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comments on Sky Channels

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
365 replies to this topic

#51 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:19 AM

Neil,

I was having technical difficulties with my webcam last night. Plus I had to go pick up an alderwoman in town to show her the lights that were not shielded and affecting my observatory. As I pulled up in her driveway, I was greated by one of those offending sodium lights. :foreheadslap:

I knew I had a hard sell to make. I showed her my back yard and the lights in my neighbor's yards and she said she would see what she could do. The other alternative is the construction of a 30' long 10'high light barier. I can't call it a fence as the town only allows 6' fences. I told her it would be a 6' fence starting 4' off of the ground. :roflmao:

Jack

Jack It sounds like it might be cheaper to go ahead and buy the right "light fix" for her so you don't have to build a fence. If she is a reasonable person she might even be grateful for your help in instaling it, and you would be making sure that its instaled in the right manner to not effect your obsevatory. I doubt she would want a six foot fence, four feet of the ground as a view out of her back yard, and its so much easier to get the right light sheilding to give her enough light, and not bother you.

Good luck with that. :flower: Kill her with kindness, is what I always say!

I've given up on the webcam thing. They don't need to see my ugly mug anyway. Now I'm concentrating on the sound department. It is nice not to type while messing with a scope or just wanting to kick back and relax. I think I going to get the Freetalk Wireless Stereo Headset and just be able to chat with you guys. HERE is a review on the headset that I found revealing. This setup would stop all the feed back problems that can happen, its wireless so I could adjust the telescope, walk around the room, or whatever, and its in stereo!

Just a thought
Neil

#52 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:52 AM

Hey Neil, just missed your Premier Show last night, got there too late, sorry.
You had trouble hooking up your Mallin to the live site how did you over come that? I played around for a while this morning trying to hook it up but always came back saying the camera was in use some where else(more or less)What did you have to do to fix that again? You had to get a different capture device did you?

#53 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:08 PM

Hey Neil, just missed your Premier Show last night, got there too late, sorry.
You had trouble hooking up your Mallin to the live site how did you over come that? I played around for a while this morning trying to hook it up but always came back saying the camera was in use some where else(more or less)What did you have to do to fix that again? You had to get a different capture device did you?

I ended up getting a Pinnacle Dazzle DVD Recorder , and it works like a charm. I was getting the same message as you so I broke down a got one. Now I have two capture devices :foreheadslap:, but I like the AVer for taking snapshots since it has its own remote controll, and the Dazzle for web stuff since it actually works! If you get one all you need to do is download the drivers. I've been told that the software isn't worth downloading. You could still use the Dazzle with windows media to capture if you wanted to, but it sounds like you will be like me and have two devices :foreheadslap:

Hope this helps
Neil

PS: Make sure to download Amcap too. Its free, and will allow you to controll the brightness, contrast, hue...and so on, while online. Its a must have for any capture device.

#54 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:13 PM

Your the MAN!
Neil thanks I'm going to look into that see if I can get my hands on one. Pretty easy to use is it?

#55 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:38 PM

Yeah Kent! Pretty much plug and play type of device. Just make sure to plug in the USB before you open up Yahoo Live. On that subject, which capture device do you have now? Did you make sure to plug it in first, and are you running Vista? I have Vista, and I think it was one of the reasons my first capture device didn't work will yahoo. Just be sure you try everything before spending another $50!

I'm sure the Dazzle device will work though.

Neil

#56 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:47 PM

Thanks Neil for getting back to me right away! I'm using a "Smart TV Card" PCMCIA card. And I'm running Windows XP Professional I guess. If you can think of anything else to try let me know. Thanks

#57 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:57 PM

Another idea for our Video Channels sticky: put the local timezone and GMT location of each "channel" next to it, so everyone can tell at a glance what the timezone is relative to them (blue squares are useless in daylight!)

I'll start: I'm US Eastern Time, GMT -5

Re: Dazzle... I had some interesting hiccups installing it on my PC, but it seems to work (standalone)... haven't tried hooking up the MCHP yet! But my kids got a kick outta seeing my ugly mug on the PC screen, and kept jumpin to get into the picture :roflmao:

I'm running W2KProfessional on a 1.4Ghz Centrino 512MB memory Dell Laptop right now - no way I'm upgrading THAT to Vista! I can't say what I think about Vista without violating the CN TOS. Yes, really.

clear enough skies

#58 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:46 PM

Neil,

The lady I brought to my observatory last night is not my neighbor. She is one of the elected officials in town and the onlyone of the bunch who really cares about trying to preserve some of the things that made our small town appealing. BTW she has to be 80 years old. I already bought a shield for one of my neighbors and he put it up. His light is only 70' from my yard but shed light 400' to the rear of my property (I live on 5 acres). The offending lights are in at least two other neighbors yards that are about 150' from my observatory and across a creek bottom. Katrina thined out the tress severely and lights that use to be shielded are now visible. I lost 350 trees on the 5 acres. The alderwoman was going to contact the local electric company to see if they will shield the insecurity lights in the yards. If not, I will write the town a letter of complaint due to light tresspass to see what they will do about it. If all fails, the wall is going up.

Jack

#59 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:50 PM

Neil,

I used one of Rock's USB adapters the 2 times I broadcast pre-recorded DVDs to the group. With it I can also adjust the appearance of the broadcast image. However, it is a hit and miss thing. I can tweak the brightness in the dvd software, but I can see the result of the tweak until I call up Yahoo Live again.

With AMCAP, do you see the changes on Live Yahoo while you are making them?

Jack

#60 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:54 PM

Neil,

Instead of my Sky Channel stating "Waning Moon II Observatory" maybe it should state "Southeast Louisiana" so people will know where I am actually located.

Jack

#61 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:26 PM

Neil,

The lady I brought to my observatory last night is not my neighbor. She is one of the elected officials in town and the onlyone of the bunch who really cares about trying to preserve some of the things that made our small town appealing. BTW she has to be 80 years old. I already bought a shield for one of my neighbors and he put it up. His light is only 70' from my yard but shed light 400' to the rear of my property (I live on 5 acres). The offending lights are in at least two other neighbors yards that are about 150' from my observatory and across a creek bottom. Katrina thined out the tress severely and lights that use to be shielded are now visible. I lost 350 trees on the 5 acres. The alderwoman was going to contact the local electric company to see if they will shield the insecurity lights in the yards. If not, I will write the town a letter of complaint due to light tresspass to see what they will do about it. If all fails, the wall is going up.

Jack

Well at least your going about it in the "legal" way. A lot of people end up taking the law into their own hand, and this should be frowned upon. I hope you can forgo the fence. People just don't realize that when a bright light is present, it only lights the way for criminals. When its dark they as well as anyone else can't be sure what they will find in the shadows.

Five acres is a lot of buffer, and sould you be sucsessful, you should have some pretty dark skies.

Heres to you for fighting the good fight! :waytogo:

Hope to see some Live stuff from you soon
Neil

#62 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:31 PM

Neil,

I used one of Rock's USB adapters the 2 times I broadcast pre-recorded DVDs to the group. With it I can also adjust the appearance of the broadcast image. However, it is a hit and miss thing. I can tweak the brightness in the dvd software, but I can see the result of the tweak until I call up Yahoo Live again.

With AMCAP, do you see the changes on Live Yahoo while you are making them?

Jack

Yes, Jack. AMCAP is in real time, and easy to use. You just have to make sure that you start the program after you start Yahoo, and if you have multiple browsers that you are on, make sure to open them all first, before you open AMCAP.

I think this is a must have for these "shows"

Neil

#63 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:34 PM

Neil,

Instead of my Sky Channel stating "Waning Moon II Observatory" maybe it should state "Southeast Louisiana" so people will know where I am actually located.

Jack

I'll take care of it. there are a few others that need this change as well. I also like Daves idea about time zones, so I'll try and format something and get it more organized.

Neil

#64 HendyPhoto

HendyPhoto

Sith Lord

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:31 PM

Deleted my question to post in a more appropriate location.

#65 rshassell

rshassell

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:45 PM

Looks like I'll have clear skies tonight, so I might as well give broadcasting a try. I'm a single dad this evening, so I may have a few distractions, but look for a signal tentatively around 7pm MST (0200 UTC).

#66 HendyPhoto

HendyPhoto

Sith Lord

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:47 PM

Thanks! I will play with it as well, I may have clear skies too, FINALLY!

#67 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:22 PM

Thanks! I will play with it as well, I may have clear skies too, FINALLY!

Excellent Jon and Rhassell! This is precisely how things should work... snowing for me, not good for Neil, but good for you guys...

I'm next looking possible on Thursday!

With enough of us, we can all get a "fix" much of the time!

Loving it!

clear enough skies

#68 rshassell

rshassell

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:19 PM

I've just arrived home from work, and the wind has picked up here at home. We had 4" of snow overnight last night, and now it's blowing and drifting. I usually set up in my driveway, but not under these conditions. I'm cancelling my broadcast this evening.

Jon, I hope your weather is better than mine.

#69 Bill Cowles

Bill Cowles

MacGyver

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:28 PM

Jon, are you planning to broadcast tonight, looks clear at 5:30PM?

Bill :jump:

#70 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:18 AM

Great show from Jon last night! :waytogo: Just goes to show that you should work with what you got, and make the best out of the equipment at hand. The Handycam actually did a wonderful job on Saturn. I could see banding all the way around the planet.

Jon, when you get your MallinCam, your going to be one to watch! Even until then, I'm sure you wont disappoint. My hats off to you. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Batter up!
Neil

#71 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:23 AM

Guess I went to bed too early! What time was your broadcast, Jon?

clear enough skies

#72 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:16 AM

Tonight, I will try to multitask - broadcast live MallinCam images using my C-8 and test the Real Time functions in SkyTools 3 Beta with my Argo Navis.

Jack

#73 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:21 AM

Tonight, I will try to multitask - broadcast live MallinCam images using my C-8 and test the Real Time functions in SkyTools 3 Beta with my Argo Navis.

Jack

:yay: :bow: :jump: :bigshock: I'm sure it will be a great show, and you CSC looks very nice!!!

Can't wait!
Neil

#74 HendyPhoto

HendyPhoto

Sith Lord

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:56 AM

Great show from Jon last night! :waytogo: Just goes to show that you should work with what you got, and make the best out of the equipment at hand. The Handycam actually did a wonderful job on Saturn. I could see banding all the way around the planet.

Jon, when you get your MallinCam, your going to be one to watch! Even until then, I'm sure you wont disappoint. My hats off to you. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Batter up!
Neil

HEHEHE Thanks Neil!! It was alot of fun! Saturn will never get old to me! After you left, we went binary hunting! That handycam picks up bright things such as stars and planets very well, and I was able to resolve several binaries. Then I went and tried to get M42, and was able to get the core stars split up VERY nice, but wasnt bale to get any nebulosity. Thanks for everybodys patience! I just absoutely cant wait for my MallinCam!

Dave, I went online at about 7:30 Mountain time and finally shut down at about 11:30pm.

Thanks again!!

#75 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:23 AM

That explains it! I got off around 9:15 or so, cause it looked like everyone had already left! Maybe you saw my plaintive cries for attention :lol: in the chat window!

Anyone know what timestamps that Yahoo!Live actually uses for the chat postings? I can't seem to make any sense of it? are they localized for the Chatter? For the Channel? or something else?

I'm looking OK so far for Thursday night... we'll see!

clear enough skies

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics