•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Panorama 3" refractor fl1250mm

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 October 2004 - 07:49 AM

Has anyone come across a 3" japanese refractor.The name Panorama is on the id plate. Manufacture mark is 104 which is Kyanon Kamera Co. I didnt know Canon ever made scopes. Think these manufacture marks finished in 1980.Anyone got one of these?.

#2 javago

javago

Vostok 1

Posted 02 November 2004 - 03:25 PM

Hi Colin,

A few weeks ago I bought a 3" fl:910 refractor.On the focusser is standing O.K.K.K astronomical telescope japan,
and a letter K in a tiny circle.The included original manual
mentioned the 3" fl:1250 refractor and several 2.4" refractors with focal lengths of 710,910 and 1200mm.
The name Kyanon Kamara Kompany was used from 1947 until 1969.The optics of mine 3" are very good and comparable with
the 3" Unitron/Polarex.
A 3" fl:1250 refractor was recently sold for $175 and all
original and complete with the wooden case ( in the U.K ).
It was marked as a rare telescope and I also had never before heared of a Canon telescope.It is likely that not many of them were imported in the U.S and Europe.
Jan van Gool-Netherlands.

Polarex 4",3",2.4"
Tasco 50mm,60mm,76,2mm
O.K.K.K 76,2mm
Satellite 108mm FL:1600
Palomar 101mm FL:1600

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 November 2004 - 09:10 AM

Thanks Jan for the info. The one you saw for sale was probably the one i bought 85GBP. A good buy. I will take some photos and post soon. I suppose it will be weeks before we have clear skies to try it out. The OTA is immaculate and so is the EQ mount.
Colin

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2004 - 08:55 AM

Post deleted by colin

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2004 - 08:56 AM

Post deleted by colin

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2004 - 09:03 AM

Post deleted by colin

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2004 - 09:20 AM

Post deleted by colin

#8 rodrake

rodrake

Ranger 4

Posted 11 November 2004 - 10:44 AM

Nice looking scope Colin. Have you had a chance to test it yet?

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2004 - 01:17 PM

No, not yet Rich, still waiting for clear skies.
Colin

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2004 - 01:40 PM

new photo

Attached Thumbnails

• 248518-jap2.jpg

#11 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2004 - 01:42 PM

New photo2

Attached Thumbnails

• 248519-jap3.jpg

#12 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2004 - 01:44 PM

New photo3

Attached Thumbnails

• 248523-jap4.jpg

#13 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 November 2004 - 01:25 PM

More photos

Attached Thumbnails

• 250401-pan1.jpg

#14 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 November 2004 - 01:27 PM

Another photo

Attached Thumbnails

• 250403-pan2.jpg

#15 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 November 2004 - 01:28 PM

Yet another

Attached Thumbnails

• 250404-pan3.jpg

#16 dougspeterson

dougspeterson

Apollo

Posted 20 November 2004 - 11:06 AM

Looks like the ATCO 1254 I recently acquired for a song, the 1250mm fl was rare in Japanese 3" scopes, most were 1200. Perfect optics, very clean design, nice foam-fitted wood case. No dates but looks to be '70s.

#17 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 November 2004 - 01:49 PM

Yes, it came in a nice wooden case with foam inserts. A diagonal, 3 eyepieces, poro prism,barlow and 2 filters. There is a square metal plate with an arm for attachement to where i dont know.Maybe a solar projection although only about 6x6inches. Still waiting for clear skies to test it out

#18 bobbie

bobbie

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 November 2004 - 06:52 PM

Essentially identical to my 3" Towa which is the same, with a different label as the Tasco models 10T and 15T (f = 15) "planetary refractor"/solarama refractor" from the 1970's (and probably earlier decades as well). (The Tasco was the common model here in Oz.) The Rose City Astronomers had an article on Tasco and like models in their newsletter a few years ago that gave a good account of them and the variations (it's on the net). The 3" are excellent performers (the 2.4's weren't bad either). I had mine out a few nights ago next to the AR 5 (f = 9.3). Lots of extra blue around bright stars in the AR that tended to obscure the airey disks somewhat while the old 3" gave beautiful disks with the one readily visible ring around (against a little, but not much, atmospheric wobble that night!). The Towa was purchased new in 1976, - its previous owner never collimated it and neither have I - and it doesn't need it yet!

#19 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 January 2005 - 10:14 PM

Looking for information on a OKKK telescope I bought last year I came upon this thread, which seems to be the only one on internet for these telescopes.

The telescope I have is a Panorama 60 x 1200 mm refractor.

It is marked O.K.K.K. Astronomical Telescope D=60 F=1200 Japan K.

Last weekend I set it up for the first time. Being summer in the southern hemisphere (Lima, Peru Lat 12º S) the sky was clear enough to see the rings of Saturn with the 20mm eypiece. I could not manage to see them with the 6mm.

Believing the equatorial mount had to be level befor setting the polar axis, I have added a 1mm steel plate between the base and the rotating mount, on top of which I put a small round level. See attached photo.

Clear skies.

Aquiles Rubina
Lima, Peru

Attached Thumbnails

• 326765-P1260002t.JPG

#20 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 February 2005 - 08:57 PM

I am now also the proud owner of a Circle K, 76.2mm fl=1250mm japanese refractor. I have been trying to find out information on the telescope. The distributor is Sans and Steiffe in Chicago, IL.

I found a gentleman who also owns this telescope and has the original manual that came with it indicating it is Vixen made. That manual is on the way to me. So, after obtaining information from Company 7 indicating Vixen was Koyu Co, Ltd before they changed the name, I deduced Circle K=Koyu=Vixen.

Now, I come across this thread. Very interesting. Does someone have some information indicating Circle K is Kyanon Kymera? And, if so, is Kyanon Kymera known today as Canon?

I collect vintage refractors and have never seen the Circle K before having acquired about 50 vintage refractors and hundreds of eyepieces. Now, today, a little 40mm arrives with Circle K. Matches the 76mm nicely :jump:

Thanks!

Steve

#21 LesB

LesB

Soyuz

Posted 12 February 2005 - 03:54 PM

The original name for Canon was derived from Kwanon. In 1947 the company Seiki Kogaku changed its name to the Canon Camera Company. Bell and Howell was the US distributor for Canon and occasionally you'll see their name on some old Canon cameras. (Source: Mckeown's Cameras 2001-2002)

For this reason I would say that the Panorama telescope is probably not made by Canon.

#22 Gneiss

Gneiss

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:05 PM

This is amazing!!!

For about thirty years now I have owned a 3" refractor about which I have been unable to find a single snippet of information and had pretty much given up!

The focuser bears the markings:-

H&G
Astronomical Telescope
D = 76.2 F = 910
T.705
Japan followed by a K in a small circle

The scope came with a single folded sheet manual, which had a table on the back listing other scopes in the series, their specifications and product numbers.

According to this table mine is an OKT-118

The others listed were:-

OKT-122 specification D = 76.2 F = 1250

OKT-117 specification D = 60 F = 910
OKT-119 specification D = 60 F = 710
OKT-121 specification D = 60 F = 1200
OKT-123 specification D = 60 F = 710

The manual has absolutely no information regarding the manufacturer at all :( and is very poorly translated presumably from Japanese :lol:

I have no idea about any of the others, but mine yields near perfect diffraction patterns on a star test and CA only really becomes evident once you exceed the 50x per inch limit… and it is still my favourite scope for white light observation of the sun - obviously properly filtered!

#23 Gneiss

Gneiss

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 March 2005 - 03:11 AM

Yes, it came in a nice wooden case with foam inserts. A diagonal, 3 eyepieces, poro prism,barlow and 2 filters. There is a square metal plate with an arm for attachement to where i dont know.Maybe a solar projection although only about 6x6inches. Still waiting for clear skies to test it out

You unscrew the eyepiece adaptor from the focus tube. The ring on the end of the bar then slides onto the focus tube. You can then refit the eyepiece adaptor and lock the bar in place with a thumbscrew, the projection plate then fits onto the bar...

Maybe a picture is easier :lol:

Posted Image

Sorry it's a bit dark, but I was more interested in the total eclipse which had just started :foreheadslap:

Incidentally, the little white spot below and to the right of the Sun is the reflection of the eyepiece on the projection plate...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics