•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 3

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1456 replies to this topic

#26 Spaced

Spaced

Aurora

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:58 PM

I spent some time out last night, too. Never moved the XT 10 from inside the garage door, but looked at Beta Mon, a showpiece triple star, M 50, M 41, Saturn, and did some cruising around through asterisms in Monoceros.

It was a real spur-of-the-moment session. I thought it was clouded up, took the dog out for a comfort break and hey! it's clear! The weather rock says it's going to rain soon, again.

#27 buckaroo

buckaroo

Space Cowboy

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:58 PM

Mg, Why do you want to stop tracking? Can you rig up an ac-dc adapter to run off 110?

#28 MtnGoat

MtnGoat

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:07 PM

It's not the tracking that is the problem, it's that I seem to be fighting the Goto on an object if I slew around to correct it or look at something else. It seems like once it informs me I'm on target, it should accept recentering from slew commands and track the new region. Instead, it seems to want to aim back at the object.

#29 larrymax

larrymax

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:19 PM

Hey MG, It was doing that to me also until I "trained and calibrated" the scope. Don't know if it was coinsidence, but it stopped fighting me. I also did a complete reset and started over.

#30 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

• topic starter

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:56 PM

Tom, sounds like you had a fun weekend! And glad to hear some of you PNW guys got some sky time this weekend. Me, I made a little trip this weekend too... :grin:

Aloha from Maui!! :wavey:

Attached Thumbnails

• 2233250-IMG_0098.JPG

#31 MtnGoat

MtnGoat

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:12 PM

Larry, I haven't trained the drive yet but last night I took a little extra care during calibration and I had a lot fewer problems.

Today I read I can 'sync' to objects by holding down ENTER for a couple seconds in order to calibrate on the fly using the object coords. I'll try it tonight.

Last night I had my first view of M51 with the Z12...holy *BLEEP* I love aperture! The last thing I need at this point is a jones for more. I guess this means I'll have to spend some time at Buckaroos place looking through his GigaDob.

#32 buckaroo

buckaroo

Space Cowboy

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:05 PM

yep

#33 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:16 PM

Aloha from Maui!! :wavey:

Wow! That's blue. :D

#34 Spaced

Spaced

Aurora

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:25 AM

Great skies last night! Very good seeing & transparency. Was out from about 7:30 to 10, and was just action packed.

-- Trapezium, E & F instantly obvious @ 230X, hints at 153X

-- Spent some time on M42, comparing filters and different mags. Decided I prefer the UHC over the O III on that object. It brings out more of the amorphous nebulosity away from the core. But with the OIII the "wings" were symetrical curved falcon wings, which was an intriguing sight. Both the UHC & the OIII revealed a lot of texture.

-- Triple star Iota Or, since I was in the neighborhood

-- Neighbor came over and I walked him through Trapez. & M42, with and without filters, then we went to

-- Saturn. Stable, constant Cassini div. at 230X, lovely banding on the planet. 3 moons visible (I'll have to look 'em up tonight). Increased mag to 276X, which was still steady and even more detailed. Increased again to 345X and it was too much. I'm pretty sure the seeing permitted the magnification, but the view was so fleeting as Saturn passed thru the FOV that I was constantly jiggling the view while trying to reposition the scope; also a problem with my pulse moving things. I can hardly wait for my 14.5" with tracking, promised for the early fall. :praying:

-- NGC 2244, the open cluster in the Rosette Neb. Found it easily (first time -- Gad, I love my Telrad). Tried to tease out a hint of the Rosette, with OIII & w/ UHC. I *think* I was able to see a circular area of lighter sky, extending beyond my 1.9 deg. & 1.4 deg. FOV w/ two EPs. If so, the thing is huge, and I really do think I saw hints of it.

-- I tried to find Epsilon Mon but I'm not sure I succeeded. I found a *double* at what I thought was the right location, but Eps. Mon is a triple. Much as I peered I couldn't tease out a third star. I'll try that one again.

-- Quick look at Castor

-- M41, bright cluster SE of Sirius. It was behind the top of a fir tree about 150 yd. away (the tree, not the cluster), but I thought I'd take a look anyway, and I'm glad I did! Through the EP it looked like a X-mas tree with lights all through it. :) Really a cool sight.

A few weeks ago I finally finished shimming my new focuser and doing a major recollimation after the secondary was totally whacked out of position. This is the first night of good seeing since then, and I'm really patting myself on the head with my collimation. Especially looking at the Trapezium and the double & triple stars tells me that I did a pretty servicable job, using just a sight tube & a barlowed laser.

Cheers! :jump:

#35 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:55 AM

Outstanding report Mike. It was beautiful last night.
However, I didn't spend ay time at the EP, but rather in the shop......(I'm in *make it* mode) :grin:

Again...great report.

Rob

#36 RS67Man

RS67Man

Tinker King

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:26 PM

I have not been allowed to go out and gaze upward, I have had a cold since saturday, and I am still trying to get over it. The wife says I have to be well before she will let me go. Of course it clears up and no moon at the same time...... :bawling:

#37 Holst

Holst

Apollo

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:42 PM

Well guys this is no big deal to you probably but I'm pretty psyched that I saw my first DSO last night! Orion's nebula and Trapezoid. I got myself really nicely collimated (using the new H. Glatter holographic laser collimator and tuBlug with side tube w/ cut-out window) and then even though the clouds were rolling in i could tell I'd have a little time to see something...anything. So when I saw Orion's belt with the 26mm and a little fuzzy area, I thought "could it be?" and went in with a 9mm and sure enough, I saw the diamond stars inside. What an unexpected treat! i was starting to think I'd see now DSO's from inner Portland skies, ever!

Now I'm wondering how it's gonna be tonight since the sky clock isn't updated very often. any of you know? Can't wait to try for some more tonight, if possible!

Last thing: I could ask this somewhere else on CN I realize, but do any of you know of a website that would show best DSO objects to observe in urban skies?

Thanks!

#38 Holst

Holst

Apollo

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:44 PM

I have not been allowed to go out and gaze upward, I have had a cold since saturday, and I am still trying to get over it. The wife says I have to be well before she will let me go. Of course it clears up and no moon at the same time...... :bawling:

Ah, Walt! Sorry you're under the weather instead of under the stars!!! I think if you put on warm clothes and hat (if the weather stays nice) you could go out for a little while without getting sicker - in fact who knows maybe the fresh air would help you get better?!

#39 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:16 PM

Last thing: I could ask this somewhere else on CN I realize, but do any of you know of a website that would show best DSO objects to observe in urban skies?

Here's a good place to start.

http://www.astroleag...an/urbanld.html
and
http://www.astroleag...an/urbanls.html

#40 buckaroo

buckaroo

Space Cowboy

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:44 PM

Nice ob. report Mike. And yes it should be clear tonight Marya. Walt get better before going outside.

#41 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:20 PM

Well guys this is no big deal to you probably but I'm pretty psyched that I saw my first DSO last night! Orion's nebula and Trapezoid.

Way to go Marya :waytogo:

Any time we find a DSO in the light pollution around here is reason to rejoyce!

#42 Spaced

Spaced

Aurora

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:35 AM

I have not been allowed to go out and gaze upward, I have had a cold since saturday, and I am still trying to get over it. The wife says I have to be well before she will let me go. Of course it clears up and no moon at the same time......

Can't you ask her to pick up some cold remedy for you . . . that's only sold in Vancouver, B.C.?

Congrats, Marya!

#43 Holst

Holst

Apollo

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:45 AM

Thanks Tom - I'd seen that list before but lost it so I'm very happy to have it back!

- Marya

#44 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:09 AM

Just wait until you get to some dark skies....

#45 ad701xx

ad701xx

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:49 PM

Just wait until you get to some dark skies....

Hopefully that will be soon...

#46 Downward Bound

Downward Bound

Adrenaline Junkie

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:54 PM

Congrats Marya!!! It's only just beginning!! :waytogo:

#47 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:40 PM

Aloha, y'all! :wavey: Missed me? Y'all been behavin' in here while I've been off gallivanting in Hawaii this week? :) Alas, I leave for home later today, overnight flight getting in tomorrow morning after a 3-hour layover in Honolulu. :bawling: So I'll be back full time to keep you folks -- especially those Mod/Admin types ;) -- in line. :grin:

:wavey:

#48 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:25 PM

Aloha, y'all! Missed me? Y'all been behavin' in here while I've been off gallivanting in Hawaii this week? Alas, I leave for home later today, overnight flight getting in tomorrow morning after a 3-hour layover in Honolulu. So I'll be back full time to keep you folks -- especially those Mod/Admin types -- in line.

Boy, I could sure use some Sun right about now!

You gonna have some pictures to share when your back?

#49 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:56 PM

Sure will dear, though probably not duped in here just to keep volume down. I've posted a few in the Ohio thread this week already, deuling with JohnC's Caribbean cruise and the Ohio blizzards. ;)

#50 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:59 PM

Have a safe journey home, Steph.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics