•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SCT's don't make good planetary scopes.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
255 replies to this topic

#251 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:56 PM

Yes, but also the A-P primary is shaped to reduce unnecessary mass (semi-conical I believe) and also has it's uncoated back-side polished (!) to facilitate even, rapid cooling. It's a work of industrial art.

Regards,

Jim

#252 Kolenka

Kolenka

Apollo

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:49 AM

Im wondering with all these fans and vents, do you have to worry about dusting up your mirrors? Especially if you live in an area with lots of dust, sand, etc? Maybe filters need to be installed.

A good fan or vent (like the ones installed on that C11) will have filters as well. If you look at the image, I think you can even see the filters installed over the fans.

#253 pstarr

pstarr

Skylab

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:04 AM

Curious ....

I wouldn't mind trying an SCT. Ive' never owned one but have looked through many at star parties and have alway been underwhelmed. Perhaps miscollimated scopes.

Anyway, I would be willing to buy one but, I'd want some type of testing to ensure that the optics are very good. I really don't trust C$%^%$ and M%$#^%$ quality control , sorry.

Does anyone offer new, pre-tested SCTs?
I'm thinking of C9.25 maybe or C11.

Thanks,
Rob

I think Meade and Celestron should offer a hand picked, or premium scope with a guaranteed, say 1/6 wave front optics. They already have them in their inventory and would only need a way to identify them. I have often seen used sct's for sale with the owner saying that the optics are superb because he knew someone at the factory and was able to hand pick them, so they are being produced. This type of offering could increase sales and command a premium price. I don't think admitting that their optics vary would hurt regular sales, we already know they vary. People who buy Newtonians have this choice to upgrade to a premium mirror after they get their scopes. It doesn't stop them from buying the scope with optics as is. Many of the mass produced optics are excellent but its luck if you get them. Offering a "premium scope" in a sct would be a pleasant thing. I might consider one if I could be quaranteed of a certain optical quality. All the manufacturers would have to do, is pick them out as they come off the assembley line.

#254 Kolenka

Kolenka

Apollo

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:08 AM

Well, they could certainly do that. But it will degrade the quality of the cheaper purchases. Especially if wait lists start forming for these guaranteed optics, then you know no scope of that level of quality will ever make it into the non-guaranteed line.

While it might not hurt sales, it would hurt the reputation of the cheaper line.

#255 pstarr

pstarr

Skylab

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:37 AM

Well, they could certainly do that. But it will degrade the quality of the cheaper purchases. Especially if wait lists start forming for these guaranteed optics, then you know no scope of that level of quality will ever make it into the non-guaranteed line.

While it might not hurt sales, it would hurt the reputation of the cheaper line.

I'm not sure it would degrade the cheaper scopes. You would be getting what you pay for. Cheaper Newtonians far out sell the premium scopes but with the Newts, the customer has the choise of getting better quality optics if he wants to pay for them. If a line formed for the hand picked better optics, maybe it would send them the message that people want better optics from them and they would up their standards to produce more of this quality. Galaxy Optics used to sell mirrors that way. They would do a run of a certain size and offer the best of the lot for a premium. All the mirrors in the lot sold but at least the customer had the option to get a better one. The better quality sct's could be offered as a differnt line, with maybe the addition of a cooling fan.

I know this won't happen. I'm just thinking out loud here.

#256 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:37 PM

http://www.intes.su/kattade.aspx?t=1

regular vs. deluxe.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics