•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Buck-Eye On The Sky (BEOTS) II, June 27-29, 2008

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
601 replies to this topic

#1 Dob Frog

Dob Frog

Ninjamphibian

• topic starter

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:09 AM

I'm starting this thread separately from the Ohio Never-Ending Star Party thread so the star party information is at the top and not lost in the thread. PLEASE keep this thread for questions and/or comments strictly about BEOTS. Thanks! :)

Once again we will be holding the Buck-Eye On The Sky (BEOTS) star party this year. It is June 27th through 29th held in Lodi, Ohio 44254. (When mapquesting, be sure to enter the zip code as there are two Lodi, Ohio's.)

My husband, Scott Horstman, and I have the star party at our home here in Lodi. We have 7 acres in farm country. The perimeter of the property has trees that help block any stray lights and we set up a large tent with tables and chairs to help block the rest of it and to give everyone a place to eat and find some shade.

There is no cost to come to the star party. What we do is we all pitch in bringing pot luck type food and/or drinks to share with everyone. We have a jar for donations so everyone can pitch in for anything we cook up on the grill or to help cover the cost of the tent and porta-potty. We weren't quite sure how that'd work out last year, but we had plenty of food and drinks and a lot of fun working together to prep meals.

There is power available in the field also. Plus this year, we have wireless internet connection for those who would like to bring their laptops! :bounce:

There will be a porta-potty, but unfortunately no showers. If there happens to be a line, the bathrooms in the house are available too. Near camping at it's finest. :grin: Last year a couple of the guys just jumped in the swimming pool to "refresh".

Folks bring RV's, campers, or tents to sleep in. There are also a couple hotels not far from here, maybe 10 min.

If you have kids, we try to have crafts for them to do, plus our kids (ages 10 & 15) have plenty of things to help occupy any down time, plus there’s the pool available for swimming. We also have a pond stocked with fish for anyone wanting to fish a little. All the kids that have come are well behaved and respect everyone's equipment. Kids are always welcome here!

Also, on Saturday afternoon the Ohio Scottish Games are being held at the Lorain County Fairgrounds about 15 min. from here and I believe a few folks are going to check it out during the day. I'm sure others, will stick around to get some solar viewing in or catch up on sleep.

Saturday evening we'll also hold a door prize drawing. We had gotten a lot of nice donations last year.

I'll do my best to update this BEOTS thread occasionally with these details. If you can make it, just PM me or post on the thread and we'll add your name to the list. Last year we had over 40 people each night. It was a great time to meet other CNer's, talk gear, share views & equipment, and just get to know each other.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2272177-IMG_0382 (Medium).JPG

#2 Dob Frog

Dob Frog

Ninjamphibian

• topic starter

The Buck-Eye On The Sky star party began with Scott Horstman, John Crilly, Jim Winter (oldsalt), and Erika and Paul Rix deciding, on a whim, to meet up at the SkyTour star party in Bellevue, Ohio. This was in 2005.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2272178-465182-CN Gang.jpg

#3 Dob Frog

Dob Frog

Ninjamphibian

• topic starter

The following year, 2006, brought more CNer’s to Bellevue. There was 19 of us!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2272179-Group photo.jpg

#4 Dob Frog

Dob Frog

Ninjamphibian

• topic starter

As our CN crowd grew, we decided to hold our own star party here at our place in 2007 and named our star party Buck-Eye On The Sky (BEOTS). The number of folks that came more than doubled. (Not everyone was available for this group shot.)

Attached Thumbnails

• 2272180-IMG_0412 Sunday group.JPG

#5 Dob Frog

Dob Frog

Ninjamphibian

• topic starter

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:29 AM

I meant to post this above with the field shot above from BEOTS 2007. This is the other side of our field by the observatories.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2272224-IMG_0381 (Medium).JPG

#6 oldsalt

oldsalt

Astro Philosopher

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:10 AM

There will be a welcome packet for those attending , along with an observing list. Carrying on in our usual tradition, we have very simple rules. Have fun. All of us on the planning committee look forward to seeing you. There is no rain date, as we never have rain when we schedule. If you have any special needs, or questions, post them here, and we'll be sure to answer. June is just around the conner,

#7 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:08 AM

I'm planning to come (early, of course - Baksheesh in the form of fresh shrimp and Jamaican Hellfire Sauce).

Among the attractions is Erika's cooking...not to miss!

BTW, that lovely white motorhome whose rear parts are only shown, is StaRV II - lair of Maggie, Casey, and me....

#8 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:11 PM

Dutch oven cooking at it's "not so" best, but having fun trying! :grin: If our cabana boy, Halfmeter, truly is coming this year, THAT will be a real treat with regards to dutch oven cooking!

Right, so keeping with the spirit of this thread being for "star party information", if anyone would like to contribute an astro image or astro sketch for the BEOTS 2008 logo for shirts and ball caps, please PM me. I'll be making the design soon so that John can then get the shirts created for us to order if anyone wants them.

#9 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:56 PM

Gerri and I are coming; and bringing our two sons (Hampton - 11 1/2, and Matthew - 8).

Couple of variables we don't know yet:

1) if we'll be "camping it in a tent", or wimping out and doing the hotel route

2) if I'm going to bring any telescopes - I *will* be bringing my laptop and my Mallincam setup though! I'm just not sure if I can fit too much astro-gear into back of a Minivan destined for a two week family vacation!

3) baksheesh, spiffs, goodies, etc: still tbd. For certain some good bourbon(s) and maybe some nice vino... Given the "road trip" nature of our plans (3 days in upstate NY, 3-4 days in Ohio, 3-5 days in Michigan) I might have to settle for "local acquisition and gastronomic prepartion" versus bringing something!

Gerri is expecting a detour to the local alpaca farm, and will be most definitely interested in hooking up with other knitsters (knitting sistas) while there

How far is Lodi from 6 flags, btw?

clear enough skies!

#10 oldsalt

oldsalt

Astro Philosopher

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:53 PM

Dave, don't worry about a scope. Usually the scopes out number people at least two to one. I'll be bringing a few so if you want my imaging rig will be at your disposal.

#11 Dob Frog

Dob Frog

Ninjamphibian

• topic starter

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:28 PM

Gerri is expecting a detour to the local alpaca farm, and will be most definitely interested in hooking up with other knitsters (knitting sistas) while there

Hi Dave, I'll make up some directions to the alpaca farms in the area. They are no more than 10 min. away.

How far is Lodi from 6 flags, btw?

I believe the 6 Flags was changed back to Geauga Lake, but then closed its rides in 2007. The water park is still there and is called Geauga Lakes Wildwater Kingdom.

There is also Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky, Ohio. It is 60 miles NW of here (about 1-1/2 hrs. drive).

(Note to everyone, just remember to put in our zip code, 44254, when mapquesting to or from here as there is two Lodi, Ohio's.)

#12 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:48 PM

Yeah, Dave, I'll also be bringing my Mallincam CHP (and you can visit your/my VSI Slider).

"Good" bourbon is subjective...JD Black is so, well, common (and sadly, citizens of Taxachusetts' selection of "Southren" corn squeezin's is suspect). Knob Creek is OK, but I prefer (and will bring) Maker's Mark. But we'll judge you only upon sampling (repeatedly, if necessary) your choices :grin:.

#13 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:19 AM

Yeah, Dave, I'll also be bringing my Mallincam CHP (and you can visit your/my VSI Slider).

"Good" bourbon is subjective...JD Black is so, well, common (and sadly, citizens of Taxachusetts' selection of "Southren" corn squeezin's is suspect). Knob Creek is OK, but I prefer (and will bring) Maker's Mark. But we'll judge you only upon sampling (repeatedly, if necessary) your choices :grin:.

How do you feel about Rock Maple Hill, or Bookers??? ;)

Just want to get an idea of what the "tastes" are! :lol:

clear enough skies

#14 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:25 AM

AWRIGHT!!! You guys got this pat down right here on it's own thread! Great!

I already told Diane that I was coming along with my son Scott again. Scott wanted to come back and he's definitely bringing along a friend or two for this event. Looks like they'll be using the tent and I won't! Scott refuses to sleep anywhere near me or John Crilly cuz of our loud nocturnal singing (snoring). :sleepy: :sleepy:

I haven't decided what scope or scopes I will be tagging along this year.

#15 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:50 AM

Just a friendly reminder from Da Mean Ol' Mod to keep the chatter on the Ohio chatter thread and keep this one low key for "real" party info (what booze you're bringing doesn't count...sorry... ;)).

Thanks, folks. :)

Her Royal Meanness

#16 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:42 PM

:smarty: :smarty:

#17 Dob Frog

Dob Frog

Ninjamphibian

• topic starter

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:01 AM

Hi Gang! Following are some hotels that are located near us. They are all within 15 minutes of our place.

Super 8 Motel - Seville
6116 Speedway Drive
Just off I-71, I-76 and Hwy 224
Seville, OH, 44273
330-769-8880

Comfort Inn - Seville
4949 Park Avenue West
Just off I-76/Hwy 224
Seville, OH, 44273
330-769-4949

Hawthorne Suites - Seville
5025 Park Avenue West
Just off I-76/Hwy 224
Seville, OH 44273
330-769-5025

#18 Dob Frog

Dob Frog

Ninjamphibian

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:25 AM

Hello all! Only a couple more months until BEOTS II. :bounce:

#19 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:26 AM

Hi Diane!

For anyone else staying at a hotel, we've reserved at the Hawthorne (from Diane's link) for Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights... If others end up there as well, it might make carpooling and/or late night "trips" more feasible, etc...

Clear enough skies and can't wait!

#20 Lucky13

Lucky13

Mariner 2

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:01 AM

Adding this thread to my favorites.. I wanna try to make it to this. :)

I'll bring my Z10 :jump: Sounds like fun!

Whats the moon phase supposed to be? :grin:

#21 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:50 PM

Hope you can make it Sean. BEOTS is a blast!!

I checked the sky student edition and according to it, the moon should be 33% illuminated and rise early in the morning saturday.

#22 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:05 AM

Last call for images/sketches for the design logo for BEOTS 2008.

So far I've got images from Jim, Andy and John. If you'd like an image from your gallery, please choose one and send it to me (PM me for my email address if you don't already have it) or please supply me with a link to your gallery.

Scotty, I think you told me I could use any from your gallery? Can you give me a link to it please?

#23 Scott Horstman

Scott Horstman

Vendor - Backyard Observatories

• Vendors

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:17 AM

Hi Erika. Feel free to take anything usable. The Omega pic may work if you make it really really small :grin:

The link is in my sig line.

#24 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:11 AM

Got it! Thanks, Scott.

#25 Dob Frog

Dob Frog

Ninjamphibian

• topic starter

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:22 PM

Hello folks! :wavey:

Just wanted to pop in here to let everyone know there's only 49 days left until BEOTS II. :bounce:

If you are planning on coming, please drop me a PM so I can get a head count.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks! Di

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics