•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meteorites

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#26 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:39 AM

Hi Dick,

I have never used a metal detector personally for meteorite hunting. Over the years, I have owned or had access to a few detectors, but I was not into meteorites at that time. Meteorites is a fairly-recent obsession for me that has only taken root in the last year - and reached a fever pitch in the last 4 months. :lol:

I have plans to get another metal detector and do some hunting of my own in the future, but the wife and I are not free to travel right now, so combing the deserts with a metal detector will have to wait. Basically, I am in the a similar place as you with metal detectors - curious and researching my options. I honestly don't know jack about the different brands of detectors or their features.

A metal detector, a rare-earth magnet on the end of a long probe, a GPS, scale cube, file, loupe, and specimen containers would be in every meteorite-hunter's basic kit I would think.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#27 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:33 AM

Also why note start a forum dedicted to the interest of
meteorites.

Dick, the Administrators are reluctant to open new forums, as there are so many now. If a large amount of interest from members shows, then it may be a possibility at a later date.

Carol

I would like to see a forum too. It took many years to get the General Observing forum after being told there would be a lack of interest, however as one can see it is a busy forum. I am not sure if a meteorite forum would be as busy, but it is astronomy related so I would say keep nagging the admins and maybe we will get one.

#28 Dick Lipke

Dick Lipke

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:05 PM

I had a detector myself a long time ago,when they still had pull off tabs on beverage cans,guess why I became frustrated and almost threw it in the scrape metal heap.
I've been checking a lot of web sites trying to determine what would be best for finding meteorites and found there are just to {##%~*@@} many choices,some of those things can sure get fancy,and cost,WOW!
As far as a meteroite forum,you could spark an interest in something that has always been out there but nobody thought of,something that has always been there but once again its the simple ideas that take humans forever to come up with.We humans seem to love to complicate things.Ask any chimpanzee,the answer will always be the same.
Check it out,it could be fun.

#29 Scott Horstman

Scott Horstman

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:04 AM

I would like to see a forum too. It took many years to get the General Observing forum after being told there would be a lack of interest, however as one can see it is a busy forum. I am not sure if a meteorite forum would be as busy, but it is astronomy related so I would say keep nagging the admins and maybe we will get one.

There's gardening, pets and audio forums. What does that have to do with astronomy? There should be a meteorite forum IMO. It brings astronomy right in to the living room! (or office in my case)

Attached Thumbnails

• 2289791-IMG_2389.JPGsm.JPG

#30 meteorite

meteorite

Viking 1

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:29 PM

Sorry, I don't have much free time. Only log on to CN on occasion.

Many people have successfully found meteorites with metal dectectors. They search in places like the desert SW US, or Utah, or Nevada, or parts of California. I live in the SE USA, where climate conditions and brush, forest, etc are not favorable to meteorite survival and/or hunting. I don't have time to search for meteorites. It's a hobby and my family comes first.

As for a meteorite forum, it would be a great idea, as it would be more relevant than some others which are here.

-Walter

#31 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:45 PM

I would think dry lake beds in the desert southwest would be a good place to start searching. But that is just a guess...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics