•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Goto, Nikon, & Zeiss Had a Party

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:43 PM

Dan S stopped by today with some scopes from his collection.

In the picture is the 15cm Goto, an amazing 2.5" Nikon, a rare 60mm Goto with Alt/Az Mount, and the biggest ,heaviest most amazing 80mm scope I have ever seen, a 1911 Zeiss 80mm with both an E and an AS lens.

The Goto is a #451 Hy-Score with a rotating focuser, chrome lens cap, perfect balance on the mount, and ultra smooth slow motion controls. A great grab and go scope.

The 2.5" Nikon, Nippon Kogaku, has so many unusual parts it is actually hard to describe. The diagonal has the zenith prism. The RA slow motion is achieved through a tangent arm assembly at the rear of the RA shaft. There is no slow motion for the dec axis. Extremely accurate polar alignment must be easier in Japan. :question: The entire mount sits on an adjustable ball encased in two lock nuts, with dedicated wrenches, that allow you to adjust the mount in any directions after placing the legs in their desired position. My 80mm Nikon was a very well built top quality telescope. This 2.5" puts it to shame.

As for the Zeiss-WOW! Dan should have its own thread on this one.

Fun day and Dan is a great guy to hang out with and talk "classic telescope"

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• 2275439-IMG_0247.JPG

#2 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:45 PM

Nikon...Sorry about the poor picture. I need a new camera.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2275442-IMG_0250.JPG

#3 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:47 PM

Goodness, what a collection of treasures :) .

Keith

#4 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:49 PM

We went outside and used our night filters and took this nice shot of Saturn with the 60mm Goto.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2275451-ferfe41cd.jpg

#5 JWW

JWW

Apollo

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:38 PM

Very nice!

-JWW:

#6 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:47 PM

We went outside and used our night filters and took this nice shot of Saturn with the 60mm Goto.

And I'm a monkey's uncle!! :whistle:

#7 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:56 PM

Wow, I gotta get one of those night filters! :roflmao:

#8 Dan /schechter

Dan /schechter

Apollo

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:27 PM

Thanks Steve for posting this thread so quickly. I was in telescope heaven this morning being able to hang out with someone who shares my passion for telescopes and knows much more than I. The pictures do not do Steve`s 6" GOTO justice. I got to be examine and touch it from stem to stern. GOTO did not cut any corners with this telescope. It also has a fantastic assortment of accessoories. My favorite being the star diagonal and the Solar diagonal. They are both very substantial in weight, are machined to very close tollerances and attach to the OTA with a bayonette attachment. The documentation that Steve has aquired for his GOTO is also fantastic. I am looking
forward to spending more time with Steve. I am hapy I got a chance to get to know him and his family.

Thanks again Steve,

Dan

#9 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 23 March 2008 - 02:48 AM

And I rototilled my garden all day!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics