•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX200GPS 10" f/10 or f/6.3?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Posaunist

Posaunist

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2003 - 08:59 PM

Hello All,

I'm torn between these two scopes. I wanted to know what your opinions were of these two. Thanks!

#2 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 17 September 2003 - 09:04 PM

It all depends on whether you want to astrophotography or not! The F10 would be better for viewing, the F6.3 is better for photography work. I personally would get the f/10 and use a reducer for photography work.

My opinion
Charles

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 17 September 2003 - 09:15 PM

Hi, Charles.

Yes; I'm on my fifth F10 LX200. It's easy to make the F10 act almost exactly like the F6.3 but not so easy to go the other way. Unless the priority is heavily on imaging (in which case is either one the right instrument?) I'd go F10.

I thought the F6.3's were dried up by now - are you sure you even have the option?

#4 Posaunist

Posaunist

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2003 - 09:24 PM

I'm asking the question a little after the fact. :) I made the order for the f/6.3 this evening. B&H had one left. I'm going to change the order to the f/10 with UHTC. I really have only a little interest in astrophotography. I would do nothing more than a digital camera on a digi-T mount. Thanks!

#5 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 17 September 2003 - 09:27 PM

I think you've made the right decision. Now you can start shipping for a Losmandy DM10 plate for it so you can put a widefield refractor on top and really take some pictures!

#6 Posaunist

Posaunist

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2003 - 09:29 PM

That day will probably eventually come... :)

#7 Posaunist

Posaunist

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2003 - 01:02 PM

I changed the order this morning. As it turns out, I ordered the last 10" f/10 UHTC they had as well. There is now an f/6.3 available. :) Thank you for the help!

#8 Posaunist

Posaunist

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2003 - 09:41 PM

Hello All. The scope will arrive tomorrow. I'll post to let you know how the scope is.

#9 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 23 September 2003 - 07:20 AM

Congrats! Lets us know when it arrives. Don't open the box with the clouds. (Its not marked) :p

#10 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 23 September 2003 - 06:04 PM

I hope everything arrives in great shape and I can't wait to hear about your first light out, no matter how many problems you might have. In fact it is really nice here tonight and I think I'm going to go setup and get ready for dark.

Good Luck
Charles :)

#11 Posaunist

Posaunist

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2003 - 08:18 AM

The scope arrived in great physical condition. I had to go to work imediately, so I didn't have time to take it outside last night. Talk about time going slowly! It sure looks great! I'm currently an intern teacher at a high school and working a small job on a few evenings of the week. I'll have time to read over the manual and get it out this evening. It has been partly cloudy for the past few days. I'm hoping for clear skies tonight. I'll hopefully be able to post on its first light later.

Mark

#12 Posaunist

Posaunist

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2003 - 01:24 AM

Clear Skies! First light turned out to be a great experience. First off, it's heavy! I'm only 5'8" and not very strong, so I found it very difficult to get the scope out to the tripod. From now on I'll only take it out with the help of my friend. I just couldn't wait today.

It took me a while to get it aligned. The automatic alignment never puts the alignment star in the field of view. After about three hours of just exploring Autostar, I managed to get the scope aligned well. On the alignment stars, I had to find the star, center it and have the scope re-caluculate.

I eventually got it right, and it found every object I tried. I couldn't see a few things. I currently only have the 26mm that came with the scope. I've already ordered Meade's barlow #140, and I'll be getting the eyepiece deal. I also had a large percentage of the sky blocked by trees. I have a few fields behind the house, but I didn't think I could carry the scope that far by myself.

A question or two... Every nebulae I looked at was blue. Is that normal, and is there a filter that brings out other colors? Besides being blue, the Ring Nebulae was very nice, as was the Andromeda Galaxy. Mars was far too bright to see any details. What kind of filter or lens is used to view Mars with more surface detail?

All in all, I love it. Once aligned, the scope was great! I still have a few things to figure out with it. The autofocus is something I didn't use tonight. I'm going to work on getting that working tomorrow.

Thank you for your help. It is really appreciated. :)

-Mark

#13 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 25 September 2003 - 07:09 AM

Mark,

Congrats!

You should train the drives and calibrate the sensors. That will improve the alignment process. The instructions on how to do so are in the manual. After that the alignment stars should be close enough that you won't have to slew far to center them.

You won't see much color in most deep sky objects You may see the dust and gas in M42 as a grenish hue and you can see the different colors of certain stars (check out Albrieo!) and the planets but thats about it. Our eyes just don't do the light collecting like a CCD camera or Film :)

There are filters that will enhance the contrast of deep sky objects and block out certain wavelengths of light called light pollution filters. There are quite a few different ones and they have their specific uses.

Have fun with it and let us know how things go :)

Craig

#14 Posaunist

Posaunist

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2003 - 02:24 AM

Hello,

I found the manual section on training the drives, although I didn't see a section on calibrating the sensors. Is there a separate section on calibrating sensors?

Also, I noticed what looks like a few small, white chips of something on the inside of the correcting lens. Is this something to worry about? What effect, if any, could this have on image quality? It looks like small chips of something that came loose from inside the tube. Here is a link to a picture I took of the lens: http://www.rivervall.../S_DSC01177.JPG

Thanks!

Mark

#15 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 29 September 2003 - 06:02 AM

Posaunist did you have any data about weight of your Meada. I check all Meada .pdf, but nothing.

#16 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 29 September 2003 - 02:52 PM

On Yahoo Group I fond following information:
________
LX200GPS 8" 46 LBS, 10" 62 LBS TRIPOD 20 LBS
12" 73 LBS TRIPOD 50 LBS. I have the 10" and feel it
is the best compromise between weight and appeture.
Hope this helps.

Sid
_________

#17 Echo

Echo

Gemini

Posted 29 September 2003 - 03:33 PM

Hi,
I think you will be happier with the f/10. The focal reducers work very well. I agree that the 10" is the best compromise for aperture and weight. I am a petite female and can carry our 10" scope out alone. The 12" was not an option! I could not get it onto the tripod.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics