•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pictures of fake moldavite?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 molniyabeer

molniyabeer

Confused and Asleep

• topic starter

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:02 PM

Does anyone have any pics of fake moldavite? I've read on several sites the warnings that some moldavite is just etched green glass but no one seems to have any pics of real vs. fake to show differences.

I'd like to see examples of identified fakes to be more educated at gem and mineral shows.

Thanks.

#2 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:21 PM

Steve,

I don't have any photos, but I have heard that some "moldavite" from the far east is actually made in molds. I'm not sure what they make it out of, but it has seam lines on it from the molds and many of the pieces are identical - so it's relatively easy to spot them in person, not so easy on the internet where a photo may only show a favorable angle and the seam may be hidden.

I have a nice 2 gram moldavite in my personal collection, and I bought a 1/3rd carat faceted moldavite for my wife. :)

I'll scare up some photos of the real deal later. :)

Regards,

MikeG

#3 Jamie76

Jamie76

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:46 PM

Your best bet is to buy from a reputable dealer if you are looking for a specimen.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics