•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Restoring and Repainting Classic Telescopes

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#151 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:16 AM

Beautiful!
  • sgorton99 and AstroKerr like this

#152 turk123

turk123

Gemini

• Loc: N.E. Ohio

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:34 AM

Very, very nice!  What was the final cost for powder coating it?

• sgorton99 and AstroKerr like this

#153 sgorton99

sgorton99

Skylab

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:55 AM

Very, very nice!  What was the final cost for powder coating it?

$205 with tax for all 3 pieces. Includes the prepping of the parts.

• Mr Magoo, terraclarke, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#154 orion61

orion61

Vendor - Clear Edge Optical

• Vendors
  • Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:43 PM

Tim did a SUPERB job of restoring his early C8. My mouth automatically starts watering whenever he posts a Picture of it here. I think I have something liken to Pavlov's Dogs.

I was given a basket case Orion Short Tube 120. I decided to work on it. I was thinking of a Tweety Bird Yellow, but since my Daughter was helping me as a Daddy/ Daughter project, She got to pick out the color. She chose Krylon Ocean Breeze Blue, it sort of reminds me of Brandon Blue. I am SOOOO glad she put the veto on the color.

Notice the small 12V Battery, it was from my Daughters old Barbie car she used to drive around the yard, that is until she ran it into a Tree

breaking the steering... I told her she doesn't get a Car until she is 21!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• ST120.JPG

• sgorton99, Bomber Bob and AstroKerr like this

#155 tag1260

tag1260

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:58 PM

That color actually works well. I like it.

• AstroKerr likes this

#156 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:45 AM

Every time I see your ST120 Du', at first glance, I think Brandon! You did a great job on it. I love the color! They are gret little summertime/anytime grab and go scopes. Perfect Milky Way criusers! I really like mine, even though it still is the stock black.

Edited by terraclarke, 04 November 2015 - 09:46 AM.

• AstroKerr likes this

#157 Couder

Couder

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Missouri Ozarks

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:33 PM

I have restored several telescopes and associated equipment. One of the things I learned early on (I also had a clock repair/restoration shop for 30 years) was you cannot simply take things apart and expect them to go together correctly. An example: The mount on my 6" Clark had 4 bolts that held the base to the housing. They were all the same size, so I kept them all together in a small container. When I got ready to reassemble, I found that after assembly, the previous person had to cut or file the ends of the bolts off to leave room for it to rotate. I figure there are maybe 24 combinations, and it seemed none of them worked. I could get one or maybe 2 of the ends to sit flush, but the other 2 would have a half thread sticking out. Then I also figured out they had to be tightened (torqued) to the correct tension. After that I made up a primer so others could profit from my mistakes. I have had this page on my website for years, and it is freely available for everyone. Another point: many pieces of equipment have marks of some type (punch marks, or stamped numbers are the most common) and they should be used for reassembly. However, take notes as on the last scope I took apart the numbers were mismatched. When I assembled it, it was in a bind, so I put it back together like it was. Whoever originally put the tiny punchmarks on the pieces apparently did it wrong.

http://www.justfurfu...tion_primer.htm

My current project is another large one - two tubes that each hold an 8" F13 lens, both on a large Cooke mount. I have had to design and then make parts, bolts, nuts, etc. There will be an article when I finish. You should be able to get to my albums (look under Couder) and see a small sampling of other things - more to come.

• Defenderslideguitar and AstroKerr like this

#158 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 16 August 2018 - 06:46 PM

Couder 

Thanks for rebooting or rediscovering this 11 year old thread. I liikew when something like tis surfaces  as I did not know it was here  and   a learned alot from it. Thanks

Meanwhile    I still cant get overe the SPC-102 from Barrysimon etc    the Purple Planet Eater.    an outstanding pic at the begining of this 2008 tread      That scope I have seen several places on c/n

Meanwhile...  I have an old  scope scope 60 mm basketcase I rescued off craigs  and I need to repaint   the finder scope anyway... I have learned from others  that the old Sears type teal color if hard to match for touch up paint   even nail polish

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 16 August 2018 - 06:47 PM.

• AstroKerr likes this

#159 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:56 PM

Great thread. Good old information. I have to say though, that it kind of brought a tear to my eye when I saw the posts by Ron Ravneberg. He was a dear friend from the 80s and 90s and we spent a lot of time on the phone talking about building dobs. He died within a month or so of my father and my favorite aunt in 2009. RIP Ron.

• Mr Magoo, Defenderslideguitar and AstroKerr like this

#160 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

• Loc: San Fernando Valley, California

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:53 PM

I too miss Ron Ravneberg. We discussed Fecker Celestars. I still maintain a Celestar Registry for anyone who has one and is not in the Registry. The Registry is dedicated to Ron.

Lew Chilton

• tim53, Mr Magoo, rolo and 2 others like this

#161 Caldwell-14

Caldwell-14

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: North Lincolnshire

Posted 23 December 2018 - 03:10 PM

I am loving the purple livery, very nice touch. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics