•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Park Forest and the Garza Residence - meteorite!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:30 PM

On March 26th 2003, a fusillade of celestial stone rained down on the Park Forest area of Illinois. Several stones hit a variety of buildings, including a firestation and the Garza residence.

Robert Garza, who was asleep at the time of the fall, narrowly missed being struck and injured/killed by the meteorite.

The meteorite tore through Mr. Garza's roof and tore a sizeable hole in the drywall. It also damaged a vertical blind and window before coming to rest.

Today I received an "impact artifact kit" from the Garza residence. The kit is nicely packaged in a Riker mount and contains : a piece of the wooden rafter, a piece of the sheet rock, a piece of venetian blind, a piece of window glass and a mini-slice of the meteorite itself. It is numbered 82/200 in the series - with lower numbers having larger pieces of the meteorite. This piece is not for sale and is now part of my personal hammer collection.

Here is an excerpt from the Meteoritical Society bulletin on Park Forest :

Park Forest

Cook County, Illinois, USA

Fell 2003 March 26, approx. 23:50 hrs local time

Ordinary chondrite (L5)

A bright fireball was seen by numerous observers in parts of Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin and Ohio around midnight of March 26, 2003. Numerous stones fell, mostly concentrated in the area of the village of Park Forest. At least two houses in Park Forest were struck, as was the Fire Station. Dozens of other stones or fragments of stones were recovered in the area in the hours and days following the fall. Total mass recovered is more than 18 kg, largest stone ~3 kg in possession of finder. Description and classification (S. Simon, UChi; M. Wadhwa, FMNH; P. Sipiera, PSF): Most stones are partly to fully fusion-crusted. Some broken faces show brecciated texture, angular clasts. Cross-cutting dark veins and dark pockets may be of impact melt origin. No visible chondrules in hand sample. Abundant troilite and metal visible in some broken faces. Chondrules and maskelynite are visible in thin section. Mean olivine composition Fa24.7, mean low-Ca pyroxene Fs20.7Wo1.6. Shock stage S5.

And a couple of photos....

MikeG

Attached Thumbnails

• 2298150-garza-1.jpg

#2 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:31 PM

Backside of the kit :

Attached Thumbnails

• 2298155-garza-2.jpg

#3 molniyabeer

molniyabeer

Confused and Asleep

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:33 PM

Nifty presentation. That would be really cool as an outreach tool!

#4 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:24 AM

Steve,

Outreach was one thing I had in mind when I purchased this item. I don't know when I'll get to use it in that capacity, but it would make a fine prop to show people the effects of a meteorite crashing into a house. Sometimes the cosmos reaches out to us and not the other way around. ;)

Regards,

MikeG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics