•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

setting up an Edmund fork

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 November 2004 - 06:36 PM

Hi.

Can anyone give me some hints on how to set up an Edmund fork mount by myself? Thus far it's been a two person job.

Joe

#2 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators

Posted 09 November 2004 - 08:59 PM

Don't be discouraged if you don't get a quick response. Those scopes are pretty few and far between. Our club has an 8" but I've never used it myself.

#3 Ken

Ken

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 November 2004 - 02:27 PM

Joe,

Do you have the manual for the mount? If not I can scan my copy and email it to you. I have the 6", but from what I recall they are identical except for the width of the Yoke and Cradle. I have always assembled mine alone. The only part that I recall would be difficult is setting the latitude, which on this mount is prettty much a set once and forget it operation.

I keep the Yoke attached to the Tripod Cap once I set the Latitude. To assemble I spread out the legs with the tensioner only "somewhat" loose. I then set the Tripod Cap and Yoke onto the legs and by rotating the cap and rotating the legs apart secure the legs to the tripod cap. I then thread the center screw and tighten the tensioner. Note that regardless of the tension adjustment, the tripod cap will slip if you dont space the legs equally. It's difficult to describe but you'll get the feel for it. At a point as you spread the legs, the tripod cap will "lock" into place. Once everything is tight I slide in the tube. The only problem I have ever had is not having the tangent arm clutch secured, which allows the tube to rotate and strike the bottom of the yoke.

Hope this helps some.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics