•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Burgess 1026 refractor and new Eyepieces

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2003 - 03:37 PM

Hi,
Bill Burgess sent a 1026 for me to test. This is a 102mm f/6 refractor.

He also included 3 new eyepieces to appraise.

The 1026 is an attractive scope with all metal dewcap and collimatable lens cell. The dewcap has dozens of grooves machined inside with a very flat black paint. This is very effective against stray light. The collimatable cell is reminiscent of Takahashi.

I found 3 internal baffles. It uses a 2" rack&pinion focuser with an 1 1/4" adapter. Ar first I found a great deal of play in the focuser. By adjusting 2 set screws, the play was eliminated.

This telescope comes standard with a 2" diagonal and an 8X50 finder.

The telescope is rather beefy and heavier than most telescopes of this size.

The Objective has full multi-coating. Earlier spectrometer tests showed that these objectives have a throughput of better than 98%.

Rings and dovetail and 2 eyepieces are included with the OTA and priced at $299.

The new eyepieces are seperate from the above.
They are a 20mm, 12mm, and 8mm. The 8mm and 12mm have FOVs similar to my 19mm Panoptic. The 20mm has a much wider FOV, probably at 75 degrees. The eyerelief is good on the 20mm and 12mm, but the 8mm may be too tight for eyeglass wearers.

I will be testing the telescope and eyepieces as soon as it clears. I will also do some imaging, though I've come to feel that imaging tends to hide telescope faults rather than accentuate them, unless the aberrations are extreme.

Al M

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2003 - 07:58 PM

Hi,
Here is an image of the telescope.

Al M

Attached Thumbnails

• 10993-Burgess1.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics