•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Large format (4x5) astrophotography

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#51 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:10 PM

I think the hook is set. You have the DSLR - mount it - no auto guider required - set timer - press shutter. Next shot. Challenge - little - satisfaction in the effort - little - overcoming the odds - easy.

Film - well you description of what you have - and what you would like to do tells all. Enthusiasm, a challenge, and above all - FUN at doing something which grabs you. The world of ANALOG. That which is recorded in the True Light. No conversion software required.

Welcome to the Funny Farm.

Igor

#52 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:19 PM

I'm sorry I missed reading your post earlier. Simpler times and making things work without spend a ton of money = FUN. The satisfaction one gets from enjoying a hobby is what keeps us going.

Ever think of getting back into it in one form or another? I'm thinking this forum could really get going with the small group of enthusiasts by simply sharing these stories and enjoying each others experiences.

It's our world - the solitude - the single minded determination - the enjoyment of the night sky. No telemarketer will bother you in the middle of it. Ours to enjoy. Yours to share.

Igor

#53 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:23 PM

Knock - Knock - Joseph. Your turn for a story or two. In reading Robert Reeves book on Astrophotography I find photos and mention of your name.

Please share more stories with us. Group therapy for those of us who are still - OUT THERE. Great story on the astrograph. Enjoyed it.

Igor

#54 Rick Thurmond

Rick Thurmond

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

I just put together a 4x5 camera for astrophotography. The camera and results are at http://www.rickthurm...iewAstrophotos/

#55 Eric P

Eric P

Viking 1

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

Rick, those are fantastic images.

#56 Kona

Kona

Sputnik

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:47 AM

Rick, you and I are birds of a feather. I have the exact same lens that I use for the exact same purpose on a slightly different camera and mount. Try stopping down to f/8 for a few exposures. It'll eliminate the coma in the corners that you're getting at f/5.6.

#57 Hikari

Hikari

Viking 1

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

Rick, a telephoto should always have a shorter flange distance than the focal length. It is actually part of the design that defines a lens as telephoto.

View camera lenses are no optimized to be used wide open.

Very nice camera.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics