•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Booming Bolide over Indiana...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 dgs©

dgs©

James Webb Space Telescope

• topic starter

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:19 PM

See the Indystar article.

Wouldn't that have been neat to see? :grin:

#2 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:38 PM

Glassthrower is probably on the road as we speak :lol:

Carol

#3 The bear

The bear

Apollo

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:19 PM

it was jets from what i read....
doc

#4 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:41 PM

It was swamp gas. ;)

#5 The bear

The bear

Apollo

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:00 PM

actually we had a earthquake this am and i think ...there i go again.. the noises was announcing this was coming. it happened this way before in Illinois history i just read. i live in indiana very close to where it started?.
doc
but it was interesting i experienced one other in panama (not florida) when i was in the service.

#6 The bear

The bear

Apollo

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:01 PM

come on people show us your stuff somebody should have saw, found, experienced something interesting in this hobby.
doc

#7 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:42 PM

come on people show us your stuff somebody should have saw, found, experienced something interesting in this hobby.

I have a piece of Trinitite - which is a remnant from the first atom bomb test at the Trinity test site at Alamogordo New Mexico in 1945.

When the atomic bomb detonated, it sucked thousands of tons of desert sand and debris into the mushroom cloud. This debris was then irradiated and melted, before it rained back down to Earth. It fell like blobs and hardened on the desert floor. The side facing up is smooth and the bottom side has an impression of the ground. The greenish tint is from iron in the desert sand. The copper-orange tint is from copper in cables and within the device itself - these are elemental remains of the actual bomb, rigging, and gantry. This particular piece weighs about 4 grams and is about the size of a half-dollar.

It is mildly radioactive, but it is safe to properly handle in small quantities for limited periods of time. All of the very dangerous isotopes that were present had short half-lives and were long ago reduced to relatively-harmless decay products which emit only low-level radiation.

Up until the early 1950's, the public could visit the site and collect this material, and a sizaeable amount made it onto the collector's market. Then the government stepped in, fenced off the site, and bulldozed all of the trinitite into a big hole and buried it. It is now illegal to remove tritinite from the site, but it is legal to possess samples that were procured before the prohibition. It is now quite scarce and hard to find.

"...I have become Shiva, destroyer of worlds..." - Robert Oppenheimer.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2337148-trinitite-1.jpg

#8 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:42 PM

Another view... (my hand was amputated hours after this photo was taken) (*just kidding!*) ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• 2337151-trinitite-2.jpg

#9 The bear

The bear

Apollo

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:16 PM

ouch that is so cool isn't it amazing human beings in all their possibilities for learning the mysteries of the world have figured out. how mest to to end the world we know within minutes. i used to worry about this a lot growing up in the "Big One" era. now i worry about where they are putting all of this stuff and who has access to it. especially the Russian stuff.
doc

#10 The bear

The bear

Apollo

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:17 PM

oh and glassblower i think they have a pill for that falling off problem or a suave.
doc

:dabomb: :getem:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics