•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Could these be meteorites?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Saturn

Steve Saturn

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:59 PM

OK, I admit. I don't know the first thing about meteorites. I found these out in the desert in south central California over twenty years ago and thought that they were unusual enough to hang on to. A CN member told me about this forum a few minutes ago, so I thought I'd throw this post out for general discussion.

I just tested them with a magnet. No attraction. I did find them with a metal detector, which, as I recall, gave a pretty strong response. Could these be meteorites or just refugees from some earthbound ore deposit?

Thanks for your input!

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• 2339334-Photo-2.jpg

#2 Steve Saturn

Steve Saturn

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:01 PM

Here's pretty much the same shot with a quarter thrown in for scale.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2339338-Photo-1.jpg

#3 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:32 PM

Hi Steve!

Welcome to the Space Rocks forum. :)

In the last photo, the two specimens to the right of the quarter are almost certainly not meteorites. They don't look like anything I have ever seen in person or in photos. If they are not attracted to a magnet, then it's a safe bet they are not.

The two on the left, going by appearances only, could look like weathered/oxidized meteorites of some type, possibly iron. But if they are not attracted to a magnet, then they are certainly not iron meteorites. Even the most heavily oxidized will show some attraction to a magnet.

So, if I was a gambling man, I'd put my money on them being terrestrial in origin. The bubbly-looking one could be welding slag or some kind of industrial slag. But without seeing them in person and doing some more intensive tests (like a nickel test), there is no way to be sure just by looking at photos.

Whatever they are, they are oddballs for sure and I would probably pick them up and keep them as well. I have a drawer full of oddball suspect "rocks". They are not meteorites, but too interesting to discard.

Regards,

MikeG

PS - keep looking!

#4 Steve Saturn

Steve Saturn

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:43 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply! Don't worry, I'm not disappointed by your thoughts that they're of terrestrial origin ;). Although you can't really tell by the photo, they're all pretty flat (less than a 1/4" thick). That seemed unlikely to me for something that might have fallen from the sky.

They're all quite heavy for their size and were found within a 50 foot radius. I do think that they're naturally occurring though, since I found them walking around in a god forsaken spot in the middle of nowhere.

Steve

#5 meteorite

meteorite

Viking 1

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:57 PM

Hello Steve,

I concur with Mike. They look like meteor"wrongs" to me!

No magnetic attraction, no meteorite. There are a few meteorites which have little, if any magnetic attraction, but they are ultra rare and are primarily silicates

Sorry :-(

-Walter Branch

#6 Steve Saturn

Steve Saturn

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:39 PM

No problem Walter. I look forward to receiving the real one :^)

#7 Jamie76

Jamie76

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:20 PM

That one bubbly looking one could be hematite. I didn't realize Walter Branch was a member of CN. I used to be a visitor to the meteorite forum on Meteorite Central but there was too much bickering. I remember your posts as being very informative.

#8 Steve Saturn

Steve Saturn

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:34 PM

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the reply!

I don't know my hematite from a hole in the ground, but I'll definitely Google it and take a look. Thanks for the tip!

Steve

#9 molniyabeer

molniyabeer

Confused and Asleep

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:47 PM

A quick test for hematite: take a piece of unglazed porcelain tile (the back side of most tiles usually works) and try to scratch it with the sample. If it's hematite, the sample will leave a distinctly red streak on the plate (no matter what color the bulk sample).

Clear skies.

#10 meteorite

meteorite

Viking 1

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:22 AM

Hi Jamie76,

Thanks very much!

Hi Molniyabeer,

Yep, that's the test for hematite. The unglazed underside of a toilet tank cover works well :lol:

-Walter Branch

#11 Steve Saturn

Steve Saturn

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:35 PM

Thanks guys. I'm gonna pull the lid off my toilet tank when I get home! :woohoo:

Steve

#12 molniyabeer

molniyabeer

Confused and Asleep

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:00 PM

http://meteorites.wu...du/meteorwrongs

Try this link for more "could this be a meteorite" info and pics. Neat stuff.

#13 Steve Saturn

Steve Saturn

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:47 PM

Great website. Thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics