•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Kids love meteorites!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 molniyabeer

molniyabeer

Confused and Asleep

• topic starter

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:33 AM

Last night I participated in an open house at the Endeavour Center, a space/science teaching facility near our base. I set up a display with several meteorites from my collection and also had a variety of unclassified NWA stones for sale.

The kids seemed really interested in the display and the three biggest hits were my Campo iron (maybe 10 lbs?) and my lunar and Martian fragments. At the end of the evening, two "tween" girls even brought their frinds back to take a picture of them holding the lunar/Martian samples (still in their cases, however). That kind of enthusiasm in youngsters is just great to see.

I found a great deal on the NWA stones in bulk on ebay (Bower's Trinitite Collection, no connection to vendor) and was able to put a pretty low price on the resale. Kids (and some adults) got to take home a real meteorite for just a buck or two. The Endeavour Center got some good fund raising and further cementing the idea in yound folks that space science is cool doesn't hurt either!

Clear skies.

#2 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:56 AM

Steve: What a great idea! So glad it was a success; & also glad you shared your evening with us!

Carol

#3 The bear

The bear

Apollo

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:51 PM

great news the more involved the better i look forward to showing the neighborhood kids and parents some views as i am sure they will come over and ask what you doing. then i will show them the meteorites when i get them.
doc

#4 abbsconey

abbsconey

Vostok 1

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:55 PM

w.t.g. Steve. :applause:
I'm hoping someday to have a better knowledge & collection as well, of meteorites so i may do the same for the Scouts or even an addition to our observatories public outreach program.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics