•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LPI vs Mac

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#1 bobbie

bobbie

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 November 2004 - 11:32 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to use Meade's LPI with a Mac computer? Can anyone recall any threads etc that discuss the same. Thanks, Robert.

#2 Bob Pasken

Bob Pasken

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 November 2004 - 04:04 PM

As far as I can tell there are no tools that allow using the Meade LPI with a mac. I use the LPI on my mac laptop via Virtual-PC. I have heard rumors of it working with other tools, but I cann't find anything. If you cannot get Virtual-PC try Bochs-2.2 it seems to work well too

#3 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 15 November 2004 - 07:43 PM

Is Virtual PC really slow on your laptap (which one do you have, VPC and laptop). I have looked into getting Virtural PC but keep hearing stories about it being a real dog. My G4 is not all that fast, be a shame to bring it down to its' knees.

#4 bobbie

bobbie

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 November 2004 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for that gentlemen.

#5 Bob Pasken

Bob Pasken

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 November 2004 - 10:52 AM

I have a Aluminum G4 at 1.3Ghz with 512mb, 60gb and a DVD-RW and a copy of VPC-6.0.1. VPC is running windows-2000 and I can easily use VPC to run Autostar Suite. The USB download of images is a little slow, but once I start a save images everything seems to crank along just fine. I am going to replace a 256mb stick with a 512mb stick over Christsmas and that should improve things a bit since everything seems to be memory starved.

#6 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 17 November 2004 - 03:18 PM

I ordered VPC 7.0 with XP Pro this morning. Expect it early next week so I hope to run a couple windows based astronomy packages from it. Version 7.0 seems to be a bit snappier than 6.0 from early reviews. Guess I'll find out.

I will be running it on Powerbook 863MHz G4 with 640MB. I'm tapped out on memory - won't take anymore. I guess a 1GB stick won't be recongized otherwise I would be tempted to bump it up.

This is going to be a bit weird for sure. I'm not that fond of XP.

Did you have to run all the fixpacks on your W2K install?

#7 Bob Pasken

Bob Pasken

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 November 2004 - 01:00 PM

I don't see an 863mhz powerbook, but I do see a 867 titanium powerbook. According to one of the more expensive places I deal with (www.memoryx.com) they have a 1gb stick for a 867mhz titanium powerbook for $218. Since I NEVER EVER run ANY windows OS on a network connected to the $WORLD. then $HACKER and $VIRUS cann't infect the machine. I have two machines with Windows-2000. One is a cpmpaq laptop that I swap disks out of. I have a 4gb disk with
windows-200 that I use to upgrade my Autostars via StarPatch. When I finish the disk comes out and I put back the FreeBSD or Solaris disk. The other is VPC and windows-2000 on my powerbook. This a little more dicey since I have download at work the Meade software patches.
I download to the desktop and then start VPC after disconnecting the cable.

Just finished backing up my data "disk" 2.4tb of raid-0 in a little over 8 hours on 4 tapes

#8 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 18 November 2004 - 01:33 PM

I see Kingston sells a 1GB, SODIMM PC2100 unit now; over $600. Yikes! Since I just put in the 512MB chip I think I'll wait a bit. That would be too cool to be able to bump up the memory. It got considerbly faster when I maxed it out at 640MB (up from 256MB).

It bothers me a bit that they recommend 512MB for Virtual PC, minimums are rarely good to go with in the computer world.

#9 pollux

pollux

artiste

Posted 23 December 2004 - 08:09 PM

Virtual PC has been/is never smooth.

I have v7 running Win 2K on my DUAL G5 and it's still slow as snail

#10 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 23 December 2004 - 11:59 PM

Well that throws cold water on plan B. Dang! :lol:

How much of the memory do you allot to the virtual PC?

#11 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 24 December 2004 - 08:37 AM

I was dicussing this at work with a colleague as we both write automotive firmware and came up with the conclusion that we could write a driver for OSX but the problem is will Meade give us their chip extensions and operational maps for the LPI, if anybodys got one send it this way and we will analyze it and determine if what how long and is it worth the time to write a driver, I would also like to know who the original manufacturer is for the LPI, this would narrow things down quite a bit for example if Logitech made it we could hack and rewrite drivers to make it work but like I say I need more info if anybody has it.

#12 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 29 December 2004 - 06:57 AM

Why don't asking directly to meade?

M

#13 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 29 December 2004 - 09:11 AM

Couldn't hurt to ask Meade directly. Would it? If they say no you are in no worse position than you're in now. If yes then you are ahead of the game. A NDA would probably be asked for but that's small potatoes.

#14 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 30 December 2004 - 01:31 AM

Before I ask Meade Im going to tear mine apart and see if I can id the parts, I will ask them but I pretty well know what the answer is, I usually have to resort to plan B.

#15 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 30 December 2004 - 08:09 AM

Hi, I'm facing the same problem as you have, and am looking for a Mac only solution, running Virtual pc on a Tibook with 1Ghz/1Mb beeing still far too slow. After a bit of research, I've found a japanese guy who has already taken his Lpi apart and found infos on the components:

http://etx.galaxies....nsidelpicamera/

The chip seems to be a Sonix, part type SN9C102, the tech. specs are here:

http://www.sonix.com...ct.do?p=SN9C101

In the hope it will help you

Alberto

#16 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 30 December 2004 - 09:27 AM

Thanks Alberto, this helps alot, I registered with the site and have to wait 2 days in order to get password access into their database, as I wait I can now atempt to trace this chip to other webcam makers if any, if this chip is used by other webcam makers and they have OSX drivers for them I can get it and examine them along with other people I know will have a look, just maybe we can come up with somthing.

#17 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 30 December 2004 - 10:14 AM

OOkay here it is, a possible Mac OSX driver for Meade LPI, who wants to be the first to try???, I will do if nobody wants too, If you do try it, I am not responsible nor will I accept, liabilty, you are on your own, good luck. http://prdownloads.s...e_mirror=heanet

#18 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 01 January 2005 - 04:32 PM

Well and first of all, Happy New Year to all the readers.

Now, sorry but some bad news, I had already tried following mac software before coming here:

macam 0.8
EvoCam 3.4
KeyCamX_1_0
SquidCam
vigrab-0.9.3

but none of them recognises the Meade lpi. Looks like we'll have to search further...

#19 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 01 January 2005 - 07:38 PM

I just tried it to and its a no go, Im still waiting for access to sonixes database, Im still going to have a look at the drivers in the package and see if there is any Sonix connection, it just might lead to a viable solution.

#20 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 02 January 2005 - 08:49 AM

Post deleted by Goggles

#21 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 02 January 2005 - 12:58 PM

FYI, I'm anxiously keeping up with what you're doing. I'm a Mac user (OS X 10.3.x) and I'm looking for imaging solutions too!

Joe

#22 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 02 January 2005 - 04:53 PM

not a problem I think we will eventually have a solution for the LPI and mac

#23 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 03 January 2005 - 12:12 PM

I just got my Sonix password and I deleted one my posts containing the chip is a 101 but infact the chip is a CMOS 102 in short form the actual # is SN9C102, sorry I jumped the gun abit, it might have been the christmas parties, here is a page containing version 1 drivers for Mac OSX and Mac OS9
http://www.sonix.com...ct.do?p=SN9C102
Good Luck, if the site reguires a password, let me know and I will grab and post them, they also have a data sheet with almost everything you want to know about this chip.

#24 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 06 January 2005 - 05:31 PM

Installed sonix drivers on my mac. Camera as been recognized !!!!! :-). I havent tryed on my telescope, so I cant say it works, but camera alone give some output and is sensible to Many thanks to googles!

Now we have to experiment with this driver, In driver menĂ¹ there is an exposure setting variable from 0 to 100, we must know how many exposure seconds correspond, I wait for your experiments

M

#25 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 06 January 2005 - 09:35 PM

Hmm... It won't let me in to get OS-X drivers w/o a password... Not sure how Marco grabbed the drivers! How DID you do that Marco?

HangGlider

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics