•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LPI vs Mac

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 January 2005 - 06:19 AM

How DID you do that Marco?

Simply by cliccking on it, no password required.

If you still have problems let me know

M

#27 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 January 2005 - 06:25 AM

Access to OSX and PC drivers has been denyed to non sonic registered users, from yesterday night CET...

Very strange

M

#28 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 January 2005 - 06:54 AM

other documentation

http://sonix.sourceforge.net/

M

#29 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 January 2005 - 10:09 AM

I you have a problem let me know, I have a password, is there any space on this site I can post them?, the site (I just checked now without cookie) will give up drivers without password.
I have tore into the drivers and found many improvements I can make and it can defiantly be accelerated, I have the technical mappings and addresses, now I have to study them and use this V1.0 as a base to start with not to mention I have to get Nvidia and Ati data sheets and they are on their respective sites
This driver is definatly beta

#30 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 January 2005 - 08:10 PM

This driver works well for LPI and G5 iMac, anybody have any problems and what type of machine do you have, I had LPI hooked into usb port first, installed driver and you must reboot.
Now we have to find some resonable software for it.
Hey Joe, go for it, let me know what happens.
Now lets go after the Meade DSI.

#31 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 08 January 2005 - 01:21 PM

Yipeee, worked for me as well, I just clicked on the link:
http://www.sonix.com...wnload.do?d=773
ran the installer, of course did an autorisations check with disk utility (as recommended by Apple BEFORE and after any installation or update) and did not even restart my G4 powerbook before getting all the little software I listed in my previous post to recognise the camera!!

Many thanks Googles :-))

I will be able now to install it on my friend's G3 who asked me to find him a solution. According to the little documentation enclosed with the driver, it works with all G3, 4 or 5.

For those wishing to find a videocam software, I would recommend try a search on

www.versiontracker.com

Good luck and starry night to all.

#32 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 08 January 2005 - 01:42 PM

I forgot to mention that there is even a driver for MacOS 9.x under:

http://www.sonix.com...wnload.do?d=772

Sonix is doing a serious work, thanks to them :-)

#33 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 08 January 2005 - 02:48 PM

You might be able (dont quote me on this) to use photoshop elements 2 or 3 with the cam, if Im not mistaken there is camera controls on them, the photoshop elements 2 for Windows will operate a digital cam but Im not sure about a webcam, can anybody elaberate on this, you may want to check Adobes site for info on their Elements 3 for Mac.
Do the other Meade boys with Macs know about this? some of them rarely venture down to this forum, maybe we should list the post in the other Meade forums.

#34 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 09 January 2005 - 12:23 AM

I don't have an LPI.

Joe

#35 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 09 January 2005 - 01:29 AM

Joe what kind of imaging equipment are you interested in.

#36 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 09 January 2005 - 10:46 AM

I've had an SBIG ST-7 since about 1996 and have used it on my 8" LX200. I was never successful at getting autoguiding to work despite detailed instructions from many people. I was never able to figure out the exact source of my problem. Eventually I want to use the LX200 as my permanent CCD scope. In the meantime, I got a Canon Sure Shot A75 digicam for Christmas and that's what I'd like to use on my other scopes. I'm currently trying to decide between an attachment like those sold by ScoptTronix or one like those sold by Rigel Systems.

I would also consider a newer, smaller, lighter weight, astronomical CCD camera provided it's guaranteed to work with a Mac running OS X. I've confirmed that some of the SAC cameras are Mac compatible.

Whatever I decide on, it needs to be good enough for my astronomy students to learn to use.

Joe

#37 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 10 January 2005 - 01:58 AM

Save your money Joe and get a reliable camera, the one you mentioned isnt fully supported and you'll spend more money on tylenol than on the camera to get it working. I've been there im sorry to admit :bangbangbang:

#38 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 10 January 2005 - 03:11 AM

Now we have to find some resonable software for it.

http://www.unm.edu/~...w/software.html

Software seems working but you I can't access camera
control panel from within the program.

Other good software is BTV
M

#39 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 10 January 2005 - 03:15 AM

Yesterday I did some more test using LPI under Virtual PC, found that you must run your Ibook in "maximum performance" under power management.

I took some good picture of saturn on my iBook G4

M

#40 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 10 January 2005 - 04:18 PM

You mean the SAC camera?

Joe

#41 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 03 February 2005 - 03:15 AM

This driver works well for LPI and G5 iMac,
Now lets go after the Meade DSI.

Any luck finding the drivers for DSI Goggles?

#42 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 04 February 2005 - 06:25 AM

I haven't touched that one yet, I will get on it shortly as I am buying a DSI

#43 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 04 February 2005 - 10:45 PM

I have tried getting the DSI to work with Virtual PC version 7 (latest version) on a Mac Aluminum Powerbook 1Ghz with 786 ram.

The Meade software boots up and seems to work. The camera is not working.

The computer gives me a mesage that DSI would run better with USB 2 - But of course my Powerbook HAS USB 2.

I then try to open the imaging software and I get a "no imager" or "DSI malfunction" message.

Of course I've tried the USB menu which does recognize the camera.

Any suggestions?

What do you need to know to get a DSI driver for the MAC Goggles?

#44 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 05 February 2005 - 12:20 AM

See my post here also. http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1

#45 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 05 February 2005 - 05:44 AM

I need the CCD chip name or number, if its a Sony chip even better, they are not hard to track down, if I had a map off the CCD chip I can figure out what can be done to make it operational in a OSX Nvidia Ati enviroment, if I had a picture of the chips on the board it would be even better, I may even go out today and buy one if I get time and I have no problem tearing it apart, I will be using it on a Windows laptop but I will be getting a new Powerbook shortly so Im pretty keen on getting the DSI to work on the Mac even if I have to write the driver for it, providing I have chip mappings.

#46 jterry94

jterry94

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 05 February 2005 - 06:59 PM

Hi All,

I wanted to let everyone know that many ccd cameras are Mac Compatible. Almost all of the USB Starlight Express cameras are, as are most the USB SBIG cameras.

iCCD can control the Starlight cameras and does a pretty good job of image processing (IIDSSM). EquinoX can control the SBIG cameras and it saves in a FITS format that iCCD can open and process.

The latest image processed with iCCD was taken with an Starlight Express SXV-M25. You can see it at:

http://mrmac.mr.aps....rlsmall_jpg.htm

I personally image with an SXV-H9C camera.

You can see all of my images at:
http://mrmac.mr.aps.anl.gov/~astronut

For more on iCCD and a link to the best iCCD imager (Nick King):
try http://www.iccd.us

For EquinoX, try http://www.microproj...quinoxPage.html

Also, a good portion of mac astroprogrammers and other mac astronomy users will be speaking at the Macintosh Astronomy Workshop in Sept. in Chicago IL.

The website is:

http://mrmac.mr.aps....acastroworkshop

Even though it says that registration should be open, we have had a couple of technical difficulties that have prevented us from opening registration.
Look forward to seeing some Mac users attend.

Hope this helps some here.

Jeff Terry

#47 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 06 February 2005 - 01:31 AM

jterry: is the software open to changes and expansion, Im assuming the programmer wont allow it but just asking in case it is allowed so interested parties can write in other cameras.

#48 jterry94

jterry94

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:18 AM

Adding other cameras is always possible, if the programming interface is known. I have been concentrating on adding more image processing to iCCD rather than more cameras. Between the Starlight Express in iCCD and the SBIG in Equinox, the majority of common CCD cameras are already supported.

#49 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 February 2005 - 12:47 AM

Keep us posted Goggles.

I still cant get the DSI to work in Virtual PC 7. I keep getting DSI error.

#50 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 February 2005 - 03:00 AM

Im on the case, I was at Meades site and found out that the DSI contains a Sony CCD, now I know what and where to look for information, I plan on purchasing one of them as Im new to astrophotography, after I learn and get better with my Nikon and DSI I will look at getting a higher end CCD imager.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics