•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LPI vs Mac

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#51 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:59 AM

Ok this is just a hunch for a DSI to work on a Mac, just plug the DSI into your Mac and open up iChat, go into the options and see if the DSI has been recognized, it is a Sony Super HAD CCD chip so it just might work with OSX 10.3+, also I have a suspect possible driver that might work (remember this is just a test) Starlight Express Cameras may have a Mac driver that just might work, I dont have a DSI yet so I cant do any of this yet, I am yet to trace a possible Starlight model.
Anbody who tries any of this please post results.

#52 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 March 2005 - 03:55 PM

Im not having much luck tracking down the internal components on the DSI and my local dealer dosent have any in stock till about the 3rd week of april so Im at a stalemate for trying to figure out what to do for a Mac driver, does anybody know any sites that have the DSI taken apart or schematic or any internal info?? thanks

#53 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 13 March 2005 - 11:41 PM

Ok I was at my local dealer and ordered the DSI and expecting to get it in 3 to 4 weeks, when I get it I will butcher and **** the unit as I have other plans to add much better cooling to the DSI, so I will then know whats inside and set a course of action BUT just maybe the DSI might work with the new Tigers OS, my sources have indicated that many more SONY drivers have been added so it will be interesting to see what happens with Tiger, the word is that Tiger will be released in April, the Sony drivers added are for webcams and camcorders.

#54 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 15 March 2005 - 10:43 AM

Keep us posted Goggles.

I still cant get the DSI to work in Virtual PC 7. I keep getting DSI error.

Have you set your mac to "maxium performance" in power
management?

M

#55 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 15 March 2005 - 07:08 PM

Keep us posted Goggles.

I still cant get the DSI to work in Virtual PC 7. I keep getting DSI error.

Have you set your mac to "maxium performance" in power
management?

M

Absolutely, I tried max performance. The DSI does not work with a Mac under Virtual PC (Latest Version).

I'll consisder myself a Mac "semi-expert" having had one (not the same one mind you!) for the last 15 years or so.

I tried everything to get VPC to work with the DSI --- it's a no go my friends.

The only hope we have is if Goggles, our CN Mac tech expert here, finds us a correct driver or if as he says Tiger has a driver built in.

However, even if we do find a Mac driver, us more "enlightened" Mac folk will have to find a workaround solution for Meades software in order to use it live with the DSI - if that is possible.

I tried using the DSI with my Pee Cee and it was a most frustrating experience.

#56 Jeeva

Jeeva

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 May 2005 - 09:46 AM

hi guys, this is my first ever post in this forum. I tried running the meade lpi on my ibook with mac osX using the sonix drivers AND it works!!! I can see an image of a tree ( tested during the day ) in the "monitor" window. I know this is a late post and apologies if this announcement is rather "old hat". But I love macs and I am excited. :grin:

#57 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 01 May 2005 - 11:35 AM

Jeeva you must be a satisfied Mac Head, Im glad to see it works, when I get some time, Im going to try to tweak those drivers and see if I can get any improvments, what kind of imaging software are you going to try with your LPI and Mac?.

HEY YOU OTHER MAC HEADS!! THE GUYS WITH A MEADE DSI, if you have picked up Tiger yet plug your DSI in and tell us if it works.

#58 Jeeva

Jeeva

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 May 2005 - 02:35 AM

I'm using Keith'sAstroimager and I am able to get an image via the LPI thru a USB connection. Also true for webcam monitor and BTV carbon which I have downloaded.

#59 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 05 May 2005 - 12:57 AM

Hey guys. I'm running VPC 7.0 currently on one of the new PB 15" with 1GB RAM, but have also run it on an iBook (the 14" 937(?)mhz version) It works just fine for regular apps like Office, etc. Opens pretty fast and goes just fine, so I can't imagine it wouldn't work well enough to control your scope. Just don't try to run DOOM 3 in emulation and I think you'll be fine! :)

JPH

#60 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 04 November 2005 - 03:37 PM

I am running the LPI on my iBook g4 with the sonix driver and getting good results. The interface of the Sonix driver is pretty basic and I am wondering if the real Meade software gives access to extra features. Particularly the exposure settings, placing the Sonix driver on 100% exposure time does not seem to significantly increase exposure. I am going to try Kieth's AstroImager next. Virtual PC is my last resort only. Here is my first night out result from Monday, 10/31. Taken with the LPI and a Meade ETX 90

Attached Thumbnails

• 671990-Mars.jpg

#61 imjeffp

imjeffp

Aluminum Falcon

• ***--

Posted 04 November 2005 - 04:41 PM

That's a very nice image through the ETX-90.

I agree on the exposure controls. There's some play between gamma and contrast--try using the waveform display to set them. I don't see any effect with the "exposure time" setting either.

The camera/driver is obviously using some sort of auto-gain control, which is obvious when you move around on the moon. I haven't found any way to disable it.

The Meade software does offer more controls, but I couldn't stand the 1 fps performance using VPC.

#62 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 21 November 2005 - 11:54 AM

This from the 17th, taken with my ETX-90 and the Meade LPI attached to my iBook g4. The sonix driver settings on the mac as follows: Gain 100%, Exposure 100%, Brightness 35%, Contrast 100%, Sharpness 85%. The frames are stacked in Keith's Image Stacker and processed in Adobe Photoshop CS.

Attached Thumbnails

• 697390-Mars11-17-05.jpg

#63 imjeffp

imjeffp

Aluminum Falcon

• ***--

Posted 21 November 2005 - 03:28 PM

You're seeing what I see--the bright areas are totally saturated with no detail. I added a 13% ND filter to try to take care of that.

#64 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:32 AM

Well it could have somthing to do with the 100% saturation setting I used too LOL. I tried turning down the gain, which seems to blow out the detail a puts a bigfuzzy haloaround the target, lowering the brightness further helps but the result looks WAY oversharpened with no edges at all, again maybe lowering the sharpness setting would help? I will keep trying.

#65 calegg

calegg

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:55 PM

The Sonix site may need you to navigate to the link fully to download the driver (from their home page http://www.sonix.com.tw choose support then downloads and choose video controllers-> PC-Cam Controller and finally SN9C102) Their site is using a session variable that if absent will prevent the download hence some will have to navigate fully depending on browser and what their site is doing. You don't have to register.

Additionally the download may come missing it's file extension of .sit if it is missing the extension the Mac will think it is an Mpeg file by accident.

After that it can be used with ScopeDriver or Equinox6 quite nicely.

#66 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:05 AM

Calegg, welcome to Cloudy Nights and thanks for digging up that old post! That's one thing I like about this site - the old stuff is still there! :)

CF

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics