•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

WidowMaker's observatory project under way!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
683 replies to this topic

#676 Paula E

Paula E

Non-standard Title

• -----

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:05 PM

PemPro2

There you go!

#677 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:33 PM

Mike, that's a beautiful picture! Sounds like you and your wife have been very busy and getting wonderful results for all your work. You are an inspiration to us all!! :bow:

#678 WidowMaker

WidowMaker

Catchy Title

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:44 AM

Why thank ya, Maam!

I just got back in and did a bunch of exposures on the Horsehead nebula and M78. Im gonna try combining them and hopefully Ill have something worth looking at.

How exciting!

Thanks again Everyone!

#679 RobVG

RobVG

Viking 1

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:58 PM

Hi Michael

It's so cool to see how you surpassed your goals with your observatory! That image of M42 is awesome!

I'm happy for yah man...

#680 WidowMaker

WidowMaker

Catchy Title

• topic starter

Posted 21 November 2008 - 05:51 PM

Thank ya, Rob and everyone else!

Well, I think my M42 was beginners luck.
I tried the Horsehead nebula and M78 but my focus was off so bad that even Dean couldnt fix them. It was hard to tell how bad my focus was from under all my blankets and coats!

Man I hate freezing!

The wife and I are trying to figure out a way to create a warm area.

We thought about just partitioning a section by the North wall off with like a tarp or something and letting me put a heater in there.
The wife thinks that maybe If I could make it through this winter, then we might just do another (gulp!) concrete slab right where the tripod is now (closer to the dob slab), but this time just do a nice sonotube hole, instead of 80 bags of concrete.

Thats got to be easier than what we did last time!

We can still try using the pier slab we already made by the North wall and just use Pempro or some other method of polar alignment without being able to see Polaris, but I hate the idea of not being able to see anything in the Northern sky. Ya know?

So...right now though its all about just trying to stay warm! Im huddled up on the couch typing this with long johns on, blankets, and three lazy dogs all over me keeping me warm.

Im so weak! :lol:

#681 Spoonsize

Spoonsize

DURHAM 157494

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:03 PM

I know what you mean...I was going to go out tonight, but I just looked and the temp dropped 3 degrees in the past half hour.
It's down to 13 degrees F and headed lower.

UPDATE>>>

This morning, Saturday at 6AM the temp was 5 degrees F.

So, if it's above 32...get out there and image, I would if I could.

#682 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

In Memoriam - R.I.P. (1943-2016)

• In Memoriam

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:14 AM

I DO NOT IMAGE....BUT I observe from a slotted dome...

I stay nice an warm wearing a Gerbring heated motorcycle jacket liner over a t-shirt and pull a hooded sweatshirt over the jacket liner... maintains a constant 101 degree temp all night long and a pair of Gerbring Heated motorcycle socks over a pair of regular socks...(cold feet kill me) .

I can't believe that with a Roll Observatory sitting there with no roof over your head that you would run into thermal problems by being 3 degrees warmer then normal unless the Temp was way below zero.. If I radiated that much extra heat I guess I could just put on a heavy winter insulated jacket over the Jacket liner to retain my excessive body heat ????....next purchase may be heated glove liners..LOL

Anyway it sure is cheaper to buy heated clothing then to construct and heat a warm room... LOL

Bob G. .

#683 WidowMaker

WidowMaker

Catchy Title

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:12 PM

Hmm....I think youre on to something there, Bob! :thinking:

Im with you, I cant take the cold feet. Anything but cold feet.

#684 hansolo

hansolo

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:00 AM

alot of places like kmart cabelas bass pro sell the battery operated hunting socks

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics