•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 2045 SCT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 18 November 2004 - 11:49 AM

Anyone here has the Meade 4 in SCT?

I purchased mine in 1986. It came with a table top tripod, 9& 25 mm Meade MA eps for ~ $625. Bought a 2X shorty barlow but found 222X too dim for anything except the moon. Doesn't work with 40mm EP either. I can see the CO as a dark spot in the FOV...

I have it mounted on a heavy duty QuickSet Sampson tripod with the Fork/base in Alt Az mode. It's my grab- and-go scope. I like the built-in fine motion control in the fork mount. I wish more scopes are offered with Alt-az mount and fine motion controls...great for quick looks without fussing with an EQ mount. Works fine with a Thousand Oaks Solar filter too.

ERik D

#2 tegea

tegea

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 December 2004 - 03:41 PM

Yes ! I had one for about 15 years. It was a Meade 2045D.
I used it with the table tripod, and after that, mounted it on an ETX 90 tripod.

It was overall a very fine concept. I loved the fork mount. It allowded me tu use the scope in azimutal for bird spotting in my garden when the sky was cloudy.

I had problems with the optics for many years : astigmatism problem. Images were not sharp, so i did'nt use the scope on planets. One day, i decided to put every thing apart, and i solved the astigmatism problem by turning the front optics and the secondary mirror. The scope then perforned as good as an ETX 90.

I sold the scope back in 2003 to one of my friends. I regret it because it was so little and easy to take in a backpack.
I would like to find some equivalent. There is the EXT 90, but it has too much plastic, and no manual move.
I would like to find a Lomo Astele 95 to mount it on a Manfrotto Tripod, but Lomo is not sold in France.

Well, I would have kept my 2045D !

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:35 PM

I always wanted one of these scopes but never was able to get one. I imagined the tremendous portability and wide range of available accessories influenced me. I think also that this scope somehow influenced my purchase of an Orion 90mm Mak last summer.

Joe

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 09 December 2004 - 12:47 PM

A friend has one of these, same thing, optics not too good. It went back to Meade but still the same problems.

Seems to me the C-5 is not a whole lot bigger but offers more consistent optics and more aperture to boot...

jon

#5 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 09 December 2004 - 04:07 PM

Seems to me the C-5 is not a whole lot bigger but offers more consistent optics and more aperture to boot...

jon

IIRC when I purchased my Meade 2045 back in 1986 the Celestron C5 was priced close to $1k. The Meade seemed better made than the 4 in Bushnell SCT for over $500. Back then a 4 in achro refractor was a major investment. These days one can get the Orion 120 F/8.3 with Skyview Pro EQ mount and tripod for ~$550. We enjoy a lot more choices and much better value too. ;-))

ERik D

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 09 December 2004 - 04:41 PM

No doubt there is a lot of stuff out there these days. But there is something special about the C-5 IMHO. No plastic, the darn things are pretty solid except for the corrector of course...

jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics