•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

re alignment of gps scopes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2003 - 05:55 PM

Hi I note that there are a lot of problems with getting used to go to system on gps models.Can anyone explain the correct way that telescope should be set.As I understand it the scope should first be levelled and the control panel needs to be positioned facing north .

#2 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 26 September 2003 - 07:28 PM

Yes and No, the Control panel needs to be south and the mount should be level. If you are standing facing the control panel you should be facing north. Also on the front of the tripod you will see two scre holes on top of each other. This is where you bolt on the Arm for the wedge. I always align those screw holes so they are facing North. That always puts my mount in the basic same position everytime I setup and if you ever get a wedge you'll be use to setting it up that way already.

Charles

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2003 - 05:48 PM

thanx charles The chappy who told me is the local astro shop owner but I believe that his scope is the basic lx 200 model so perhaps it is different for those models . I,ve just bought a 14"gps hes bring it over tues for me !!!. A bit scary I shall read thru the quick start 50 times before attempting to take it out of it,s box.I,ve done a lot of reading thru web sites etc and here to glean as much as pos. and as i said quite a few get into troble with all. etc . thanx for your advice I,m in uk by the way colin

#4 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 27 September 2003 - 06:01 PM

thanx charles The chappy who told me is the local astro shop owner but I believe that his scope is the basic lx 200 model so perhaps it is different for those models .

Precisely. The earlier LX200 models were set up with the panel to the north and the user facing south. The GPS models are as Charles describes.

You'll like the 14" but if you're lucky you'll only ever set it up once!

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2003 - 03:53 PM

I have just taken dillivery this afternoon Wooooooo it is really fantastic . yes you r right there it took two of us to get it up on tripod it is heavy I now have to quickly build my take off roof shed .The next time it goes up should be permanant Colin :foreheadslap: :foreheadslap:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics