•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dual-Core or Quad-Core?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
78 replies to this topic

#51 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:29 PM

I built custom peecees for many years (read: overclocked). The HSF on the CPU was important, but where I found my niche was in case cooling, which seemed to be overlooked by competitors. I've sent PCs out with as many as 13 fans, all running slowly to hold down the noise.

The airflow in the case is more important (IMHO) than the effectiveness of the CPU HSF. Core logic cooling was also important, and was (less so), keeping RAM comfortable.

#52 stefsaber

stefsaber

Aurora

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:59 PM

I built custom peecees for many years (read: overclocked). The HSF on the CPU was important, but where I found my niche was in case cooling, which seemed to be overlooked by competitors. I've sent PCs out with as many as 13 fans, all running slowly to hold down the noise.

The airflow in the case is more important (IMHO) than the effectiveness of the CPU HSF. Core logic cooling was also important, and was (less so), keeping RAM comfortable.

13 fans?! That must have been an impressive sight! :)

#53 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:18 PM

The customer dictates, and I, a mere Pawn in the Hands of Customers, do what's necessary. That unit was long ago, in the days before 92mm fans, much less 120 and 140mm fans. Nevertheless, that particular PC has never come back. Actually, one of my specs was that if someone wanted a PC overclocked to that extreme, I made him acknowledge that noise wan't an issue. Actually, that one with 13 fans was pretty quiet, although it took me some "messing with" to get that result for noise as well as decent airflow. To be honest, that one was actually a PITA, but it did work very well, and the customer was happy.

#54 unkastro

unkastro

Vostok 1

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:27 PM

Flight Simulator X utilizes all four cores of my 6600 using XP on my computer, running all four close to 100% at times. So it seems it can be done....somehow.

#55 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 28 July 2008 - 01:48 AM

Well, I finally ordered the three 500GB NS Seagate drives, becoming resigned that they would NEVER go on sale (since they're commercial ["enterprise"] drives)...the New PeeCee will be physically built in the next week. Less certain is how long it'll take me to rebuild the software....for those not involved in the PC repair/upgrade realm, slapping together a new Box is nothing...the labor is in configuring the software (treat your Local PC Guy with some delicacy, huh?). In my case, around 30 hours...

#56 daev

daev

Technically Enlightened

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:59 AM

That's a compelling reason to keep installed software on it's own drive. Most software will run from a copied directory, leaving you to only make filetype associations. At least that would save a lot of time on the software that doesn't require a "proper" install.

dave

#57 sang33ta

sang33ta

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:34 PM

q9300 it's every power efficient and runs cool. The old Quad was a little devil!

#58 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:35 AM

That's a compelling reason to keep installed software on it's own drive. Most software will run from a copied directory, leaving you to only make filetype associations. At least that would save a lot of time on the software that doesn't require a "proper" install.

dave

I always do that, and typically partition a hard drive into 5 logical drives. OS on C:, Utils and drivers on D:, Comms (email, etc.) and images on E:, games on F:, and "whatever" on G:, etc.

Even so, most Windoze software needs reinstallation to make the appropriate registry entries, and that's what it took (30 hours) to config my new laptop....but that includes partitioning and formatting the drives, and so forth. I used to be able to do it in about 20, but I've just loaded more stuff onto the desktop. I just don't trust MS's transfer routines, so do all of it manually.

#59 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:18 PM

Here is a machine I built about a year ago. I went dual core, because the quads were at the time too expensive, but I will upgrade this fall to DDR3 memory and a quad Core. I'm running Vista Ultima. No problems with the system and it does heat up my computer room. It caused me to ditch my two 21 inch monitors for a single 26 inch HD flat screen to reduce overall heat output in the room. The Graphics Card is an EVGA 8800 GTS. I also plan on buying a second one and bridging them.

Charlie

BTW, Ron ...I thought you were always an Apple Person? What are you doing with a Dell? :lol:

Attached Thumbnails

• 2551477-computer.jpg

#60 daev

daev

Technically Enlightened

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:46 PM

Charlie, Three Mile Island called. They want their cooling tower back.

That looks a lot like my MB there... Gigabyte?

And that 8800? I just killed off Crysis, and even with a single card I was getting 20+ FPS after hacking the game to allow ultra graphics settings in XP. Impressive vid rig, that.

dave

#61 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:19 PM

Well, the last of the "bargin" components (although they were the only not-on-sale components I got) arrived today - three enterprise-class (subset "NS", 32 MB cache) Seagate Barracuda 500 GB HDDs, to be set up in RAID 5. Actually, the Intel E8500 Core 2 Duo wasn't either, but Intel's price slashing impelled me.

The Graphics Card is an EVGA 8800 GTS. I also plan on buying a second one and bridging them.

Charlie, I hope you have a mobo with the nVidia core logic, as Intel supports only ATI's Crossfire. Which is odd, as ATI is owned by AMD...

#62 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:47 PM

I have the ASUS P5K Deluxe MOBO and it does support the NVidia Core Logic (I believe). I spent most of my research finding a Mobo that would get me through at least two upgrades.

Charlie

#63 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:02 PM

Hi Dave, Thanks for the comments. The Mobo is a ASUS P5K deluxe Wifi. I love ASUS Mobos. I have never had a problem with them. I will only have to change the mobo if I decide I want DDR3 memory.

BTW; That is a ASUS Cooling tower and because of its height forced me to buy the Thermalake (spelling) tower. I love the tower. It has plenty of fans on the top, front, sides and back and supports liguid cooling. I am thinking about running a liguid cooler on my next upgrade.

Charlie

#64 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:21 PM

I have the ASUS P5K Deluxe MOBO and it does support the NVidia Core Logic (I believe).

Charlie

That mobo uses the Intel P35 Northbridge; the upside is that the new 4850- and 4870-based ATI graphics cards are superb.

#65 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:15 PM

It's getting a bit crowded in here; last week, I got the three HDDs for the RAID 5 setup, the last components. Originally, the Noctua NH-C12P was arranged, but there wasn't enough clearance in the case (one of those "upside-down" arrangements). SO I got another Noctua, the NH-U12P, and while it fit, the DFI mobo's HSF for the Northbridge didn't. A bit of minor surgery cured that, and here's where the build stands today:

From the top:

The Noctua CPU HSF
The DFI included Northbridge HSF
To the right: The Corsair Dominator RAM with its fans
Next, the eVGA nVidia 8800GT
Bottom PCIe slot: 8-Channel RAID card, to be run at RAID 5.

The soundcard (Creative X-Gamer Hi-Fi) goes in between. This is my first from-scratch build in several years, and the volume of the geek-style aftermarket parts caught me off guard!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2558630-PC 080308 001.jpg

#66 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:57 PM

Charles; I've been slumming. :ohmy: Was going to build again but with the outlet store at Dell there was simply no way I could build something affordable compared to them.

A new Mac is in the pipeline at some point and the PowerBook is still running strong (the PowerBook and an IBM A31 both recieved 7200rpm hard drive upgrades last year - breathed new life into them :woohoo: ).

#67 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 04 August 2008 - 02:22 PM

Rusty have you considered the ThermalTake Case. It has room for the space shuttle. :lol: It is what I have and other than being HEAVY I love it. Best case I ever had. Check out this link on Newegg.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811133021

Charlie

#68 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 04 August 2008 - 02:32 PM

Ron, you know I just had to jab you over going with a Dell when for years all you talked about was the Apple. :roflmao:

Been there and have that T-Shirt though, sometime an outlet store just has a deal so good you really can not pass it up. All our family's laptops are from HP's outlet store. Not the best laptops, but great customer service.

#69 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:37 PM

Rusty have you considered the ThermalTake Case. It has room for the space shuttle. :lol: It is what I have and other than being HEAVY I love it. Best case I ever had. Check out this link on Newegg.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811133021

Charlie

I considered many cases, and ended up with the Lian-Li V1200 Plus II, which has more volume even than the ThermalTake.

Oddly enough, I was scrounging for a 40mm fan, and ran across two TT Golden Orbs (one still in the box!), which back in The Days, were the creme de la creme of aftermarket HSFs for overclocking. I guess I just throw nothing away. :grin: This peecee is on its third or fourth mobo, and is still in the Lian-Li PC-60USB I bought years ago.

#70 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:27 PM

I like the case especially those wheels. I wish mine had wheels because it does wigh a ton.

Charles

#71 Mattbtn

Mattbtn

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:07 PM

Lookin like a nice setup Rusty...you got it booted yet?

What kind of Memory cooler is that?

#72 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:23 AM

The RAM cooler is stock Corsair Dominator - clips onto the tabs of the RAM slots. The Northbridge cooler came with the mobo (except the fan was missing, so the scrap box came into play).

First Light should come Friday or Saturday - Project of the Week is retiling the master bedroom shower, about 90% done. Finish placing tile tomorrow, and while the mastic cures, flash up the new peecee. Have a few connections to make (FDD, Monitoring Center, and a CD-RW drive, and it's Go For Launch). With all the software and drivers to be installed and configured, I'd guess about 30 M/H to bring this one fully online.

Then, of course, comes the overclocking... (I can't help myself...) The Core2Duo E8500 is stock at 3.16 GHz; I think 3.6-3.9 is doable. I'd certainly like the 50% OC I used to get from the Celeron 300s, but I'm a realist. :grin:

#73 bsim

bsim

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:56 PM

That's a nice setup. I ditched the Creative cards, including my X-Fi. Too many driver issues. If you're going to use Vista, Creative finally released drivers.

The 8800GT is a nice card. You're not using it for games, right? :) My 8800GT is only used for serious applications :crazyeyes:

I may upgrade my processor to an E8500 for the heck of it. Currently, I have the E6400 which is honestly more than fast enough for everything including any games.

#74 Mattbtn

Mattbtn

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:56 PM

I remember being very very hesitant to install my X-Fi card when I upgraded to Vista, but after seeing that the drivers were available and not many complaints posted online, I gave it a go and haven't had any issues.

Rusty that's a nice cooling setup...I've never been one for overclocking but I should probably look into it once I upgrade my CPU Cooler. What temps does your system normally operate at? My CPU typically runs around 90ºF with the stock heatsink, and the chipset sits right around 99ºF or so.

#75 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 08 August 2008 - 12:20 AM

bsim, so far the only games I would use the 8800 GT for are pretty lightweight. Doom 4 is the heaviest, which the 8800 can handle without a sweat. If worse comes to worse, and I have to upgrade, the ATI/AMD 4870 is out there...:grin:

Mattbn, I don't relate, as I run my stuff at Celsius. Anyway, using conversion tables, your CPU is running at 33°C and the chipset at ~37°C. In Geek terms, both are quite cool - 55°-60°C are reasonable with stock cooling. To stress test the cooling, one has to run for a time Prime 95 or other app that stresses the CPU and ancilliaries. I run Prime 95 to "burn in" the Arctic Silver 5 thermopaste I use, which needs to "settle in" before optimum performance.

Once the max temp on Prime 95 is determined, one can know how to proceed. Note that the stock Intel HSF is woefully inadequate for overclocking even in the slightest. Prime 95 should reveal that in around 15 minutes...one feature of Intel CPUs is that if they over temp, they throttle or shut down; AMD CPUs can commit suicide...

Also note that overclocking depends not only on Northbridge and CPU cooling, but also on the facilities built into the mobo BIOS. Intel mobos (except Skulltrail), fuggedaboudit...

Actually, the main reason I decided to replace my 5 year-old P4 2.6/3.0GHz is the bogging on astrophoto processing - which is substantial.

This peecee will have my ratholed XP Pro installed...then I wait for elebentity billion hours for the patches and "upgrades" to download...

I got the X-Fi card only because my Audigy2ZS is very old. That, and the fact the X-Fi was on sale (Yeah, I'm weak that way...)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics