•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Mayflower telescope

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2004 - 02:38 AM

On the recommendation of the nice guys on the Beginners Forum, i am reposting my inquiry here:

ciao ragazzi. i am new to the forum and have what is probably a stupid question but some people with experience with older telescopes might be able to help me. I recently reacquired the telescope I bought for my late father 26 years ago. The instructions are nowhere to be found. I think a piece is missing but I do not remember what it looked like. I have a couple of nephews who represent a whole new generation of skywatchers. The metal tag on the telescope says "Mayflower Astronomical Telescope Achromatic Coated Lens, D = 60mm, F = 700 mm" and "Made in Japan." There is a sticker on the tripod that says "Coast." That is all the meaningful information I can find. There is a tension adjustment and something labeled "Geared Elevator." I bought it in Long Beach, California in 1978 at high noon which meant I had a long wait for darkness so I could test it out on the moon. If someone knowledgeable about the unit can e me privately, I will telephone and maybe be talked through the process of organizing it. I do think that a piece is missing--something that connects the white tube to the black part that has the tension adjustment on it. Or maybe I just do not understand which way and when to turn the black knobs. ciao//optomh

#2 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:31 AM

Can you post a photo of exactly what you have? I have had both the Mayflower #814 which was the deluxe alt-azimuth 60 mm telescope with the quite interesting extended fork mount with a cradle that allows for tube balance within, as well as the #820 80 mm equatorial. Once again, a photo would be of great help.

Barry Simon

#3 Remy Bosio

Remy Bosio

Uber Curmudgeon

• In Memoriam

Posted 24 November 2004 - 01:06 AM

Hi Barry, back in the early 80's I remember refurbishing a Mayflower 80mm. for Paul Chatelain, the planetarium director.

I believe it had a unique color similiar to the Sears Discoverer line. I may be wrong, but I remember a sort of grey on grey paint scheme.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics