•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

re early delivery 14" gps

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2003 - 04:02 PM

charles its here i have seen anything like it god its heavy :jump:steve from the scope shop happened to call round to the house and caught us in he just happened also to have the tripod in the boot .big enough :shocked:now all i need is a roll off shed making it to fit scope :confused: He then came back round later this evening with scope woooo :cool:now got to read quick start. steve is coming round next weekend to help me get set up (so he says) think he just wants to peer into the 2" lens i have bought ha :lol:he gets the dosh and the first look . very gratefull to him for his help :question:all the best colin

#2 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 22 October 2003 - 09:10 PM

Did you get the wedge for it also? That fourteen inch is a monster and definitely no portable. That is why I'm selling my 12". It is just too much to lug around. I'll miss it but I get much more use from my TAk. You definitely have to get into imaging now that you own a Hubble class scope.

Charles

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2003 - 07:40 AM

I have the 10 inch LX200 classic....
I find it quite easy to cary around....
How much differnce is there between the 10 - 12 ?

Maybee I find it light because I am 6"6 210 lbs age 27...
I will probably be complaining in a few years ...
:grin:

#4 Echo

Echo

Gemini

Posted 23 October 2003 - 11:09 AM

Hi,
The 10" is my limit. The 12" is not that much heavier, it's just awkward in my opinion. I think this is because the forks are further apart. Would you agree with this Charles?

#5 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 23 October 2003 - 11:34 AM

I'll agree :)

The 12 is not that much heavier. But it is alot more clumsy, awkward, and unbalanced. While just picking it up and mounting it on the tripod is not that much more of a chore, moving it any distance becomes a little more interesting and something you may not want to do all the time.

#6 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 23 October 2003 - 12:29 PM

Another MAJOR difference is that neither the 12" nor the 14" has fork arms sufficiently long to permit parking the OTA pointed down. It must be aimed UP while moving it and that makes for a very awkward load.

#7 Echo

Echo

Gemini

Posted 23 October 2003 - 12:38 PM

It really is a shame about that. I'd love to have the extra aperture but unless I win the lottery and get a 16", I'll stick to something I can lift by myself. I think I gave the salesman a heart attack trying to lift the 12", so it was worth a try to see the look on his face. (Horrified!)

#8 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 23 October 2003 - 06:07 PM

The 12 inch like John states has forks too short to rotate the OTA down between them. It makes for a really unbalanced load when trying to lift. It is just too big for me especially when trying to load it on a wedge. Plus my wife quick complaining when I quit using Bertha because she was always the only on I had to help set it up.

Charles

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2003 - 06:19 PM

The 12 inch like John states has forks too short to rotate the OTA down between them. It makes for a really unbalanced load when trying to lift. It is just too big for me especially when trying to load it on a wedge. Plus my wife quick complaining when I quit using Bertha because she was always the only on I had to help set it up.

Charles

I've seen that picture that you have for an avatar somewhere..and it especially clicks with the name of the scope "Bertha." Do you have a website up somewhere? :question:

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 November 2003 - 11:44 AM

I would love to take "Bertha" off your hands but at the moment I can...
a. not afford it
b. dont want to sleep outside with the dog for the next month.

My wife tells me I already have to many toys.

:tonofbricks:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics