•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

new telescope is in the pipeline but I am confused

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 royalflash

royalflash

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:11 AM

I got back into astronomy recently. I hadn´t done much since I was a young boy when I had a small refractor and dreamed of becoming an astronaut.

30 odd years later I bought an old Meade 2080 SCT to test the waters and have enjoyed using it. I have done some planetary imaging with my Philips SPC900 webcam and have now bought a Canon 350d DSLR. I would like to do some astrophotography of DSO´s and it would be nice to get a more capable scope. I live in a fairly light polluted area and I have to set the scope up every time I use it in my garden or travel 30 minutes to a reasonably dark sky site (so no big scope on piers are in my immediate future).

It would be nice to have a scope with Goto + better tracking + better guiding, i.e. motors for both axes + better image quality. The 25 year old Meade is OK but it is basic in terms of electronics and the optics have endured some abuse). I have gradually sold the idea to my wife and she has now given me the go-ahead to buy a new scope :jump:(budget around 2000 euros= about 3000 US dollars but they don´t buy as much here in Europe).

The trouble is all the different options keep going round and round in my head.

The most sensible thing seems to be to get another SCT as I already have some SCT specific equipment (the right focal length eyepieces/ focal reducers..etc). Hence a celestron C8 would seem a good idea. They are relatively cheap here at the moment (980 Euros for the OTA). The prices really seem to shoot throught the roof after 8". But then I read that the quality control is not so good and 10% have bad image quality. Also the focal length is quite long and not ideal for astrophotography (but you can use a focal reducer). Also a statistical analysis of winning images here on CN seems to show that SCT´s in general are not producing the best DSO images.

Then there are the Newtonians but they are relatively big and cumbersome compared to the SCTs (better mounts needed) and need lots of tweaking (maybe wouldnt get used as often). Also there are, of course the focussing issues for astrophotgraphy in that they don´t always have enought travel. But they seem to statistically produce more winning DSO images. I was looking at the Orion UK Newtonians and they are quite light and compact for Newtonians.

I sometimes toy with the idea of a refractor but they are so expensive and it is hard to give up aperture so that seems to be out.

As for the mount I seem to be moving towards a GEM although I have never used one. I quite like the fork mount of the Meade I have now (I have a wedge) but to buy a new one (e.g. a Meade LX200) would involve additionally buying a new wedge (which seems to be necessary for astrophotography) and this adds to costs significantly. Also with the fork mounted scope you seem to be hostage to the electrical system. Any problems with that and the whole scope is useless (I get the impression from reading many posts that the repair possibilities are not so thrilling). The celestron CAM therefore seems to be a possibility or the HEQ5 with Goto. These look more modular than the fork mounted scopes. I don´t know which would be better though.

This is a crucial time- a fork in the road that will determine my future in astronomy- Basically I seem to be going in the direction of C8 on a CAM or an HEQ5 Goto mount. I would greatly appreciate hearing anybody else´s experiences or tips.

#2 Spoonsize

Spoonsize

DURHAM 157494

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:39 AM

T'were me, I'd go with an Orion Atlas mount, and then get whatever dovetail adapter I'd need to dismount the 8"SCT optical tube from the existing mount and use it on the Atlas. I'm certain, in the future you will want to get away from the SCT for imaging due to it's need for constant collimation. In the meantime, the Atlas GEM will give you years of use and pleasure, IMHO.

#3 walt r

walt r

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:49 PM

Well lets see: You have cameras, you have a wedge mounted SCT.
But you realize that SCT's may not make the best or at least the easiest to use AP scope.
Newtonians tend to be big which then needs a huge mount.

What to do?

A 80 to 100mm APO or ED refractor is fairly light, has a shortish focal length and a lowish f/. These are are good attributes for AP. A 60-66mm lower end refractor would work for guiding. All this could go on the modest GEM mount, be easy to set up, not cost a fortune, take very nice images with the minimum of frustration.

Any help?

#4 Mike D

Mike D

Viking 1

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:47 PM

What to do?

A 80 to 100mm APO or ED refractor is fairly light, has a shortish focal length and a lowish f/. These are are good attributes for AP. A 60-66mm lower end refractor would work for guiding. All this could go on the modest GEM mount, be easy to set up, not cost a fortune, take very nice images with the minimum of frustration.

Any help?

I'll second that opinion. I wouldn't give up on a refractor just yet. An 80-100mm apo will probably be your best bet.

#5 yg1968

yg1968

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:25 PM

The Atlas is also sold by Skywatcher as the EQ-6 Pro. If you get a Skywatcher Equinox 80ED, you would have a good setup for imaging. Eventually, you will also need a guide scope (the Orion ST80 would be an affordable choice). I would keep the SCT for visual use and planetary imaging.

#6 royalflash

royalflash

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:45 PM

thanks for the input- things have moved on a bit- after your comments I really started to look at refractors more seriously. I saw a Willam Optics 110 Apo refractor and may have put in an offer but it was at the other end of the country. But then I stumbled across a nearly new C9.25 on a local astroforum for less than half price. I just couldn´t resist it. It has even been professionally fitted with cool down fans. It is the only way I could get such a large aperture scope with some pretensions of portability and remain within my budget so I put in an offer and it was accepted it. I am picking it up tomorrow.

So I just need to find a suitable mount now. This is probably the most critical part for imaging. I will keep an eye out for the Atlas/Eq-6 pro and similar mounts.

I have already put the old Meade 2080 LX on ebay.

I just hope I can change the poor SCT stats for producing winning DSO images soon.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics