•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

7"MCT cooling

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 October 2003 - 12:56 AM

Daniel Mounsey in his rewue Nexstar 11 vs. Meade 7" LX200 wrote:
The 7" on the other hand was a breeze to cool, unlike most reports I've heard. I pointed the tube down for less than an hour and it was completely ready to go , and star tests clearly revealed this. It has a cooling fan which I found to be 100% effective. I'm usually careful when it comes to this issue. Cooling issues appeared to plague the Nexstar 11 for at least two hours during my observations. Just as an experiment, I attempted to run the Meade's fan during my observations and confirmed that it does cause some turbulence to the images as the manual stated, so I left it off and the image was perfectly fine.

On the other side Richard W. Beasley in Meade 7" LX200 F15 Maksutov-Cassegrain wrote:

I love this scope, but the cool down time is burdensome. Most nights the scope does not cool down , even after 5 or 6 hours. If I could figure out how to solve this problem, this scope would be worth twice the price.

:question: :question:

#2 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 01 October 2003 - 01:43 PM

Could it be that the cool down temps were drasticlly different in each case? Maybe one was going from 75 deg to to 65deg and the other was going from 75deg to 35deg? That would help explain the huge difference in cool down times.

......and maybe not :)

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 02 October 2003 - 11:32 AM

If anyone's interested, a 7" LX200 just went up on Astromart:
http://www.astromart....asp?cid=220022

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2003 - 10:21 AM

Ive got a 7" Mak and yes, it does cool down slow if kept indoors in a heated enviorment then moved outside in colder weather. So I now keep mine in a unheated garage and the cool down is pretty much non-existent now. Not everyone has this option tho, to be honest if I HAD to keep my scopes in my house id only use a refractor period as wintertime cooldowns would be redicules if at all on Maks and Schmidts going thru extreme temp swings. Dave

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics