•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iPhone/iPod Touch Astronomy Software

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
97 replies to this topic

#76 Moggi1964

Moggi1964

Soyuz

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:05 PM

I just watched the whole (long) video of the Starmap Pro.

WOW!

What a stunning piece of software. Amazing.

I wish them success.

#77 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:51 PM

It is very good software. StarMap Pro has a number of really nice features, partly thanks to the interface of the Ipod Touch/Iphone (that is the Macintosh way).

I have been learning it over the last 3 days and it has most of the equivalent functionality as Astromist on the Palm, and is much much faster, and the developer is working on scope control and additional features already for an updated version.

I expect this to be the Premier product to buy for handhelds from what I can now see of it. There are still some things it doesn't do that Astromist does, but for the most part it has most of the features that I believe many people would want.

Timm

#78 Nick Cook

Nick Cook

Apollo

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:28 AM

Now all we need now is the next generation iPhone that is rumored to be getting a magnetic compass built in. Combing that with the GPS and accelerometer will mean the developers should be able to do some very cool stuff. Hold the iPhone up to the sky and they should be able to match the display to what you're looking at.

Just getting the top item on my wish list out there! ;)

Nick

#79 RacerX

RacerX

Sputnik

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:24 PM

Owning Starmap since it's been out, I certainly agree that an upgrade option would have been nice.

Given that, I made it about 1/2 way through the demo vid of Pro and once I saw the Telrad option :) I was sold on the Pro version. The author's certainly been busy; what an amazing set of features. I'm heading over to get the Pro version right after I'm done typing this :)

#80 rob288

rob288

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 May 2009 - 05:21 PM

Version 1.1 of Starmap pro now out, its got scope control, now and heaps more including Comet detail, awesome software.

#81 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:53 PM

Version 1.1 of Starmap pro now out, its got scope control, now and heaps more including Comet detail, awesome software.

Is the upgrade automatic and free?

Thanks
Timm

NEVER MIND - It is updating automatically now - I'm such a newb with this IPOD Touch - LOL

#82 Astraforce Paul

Astraforce Paul

Vanguard

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:21 AM

Post deleted by Paul_R

#83 Astraforce Paul

Astraforce Paul

Vanguard

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:25 AM

As Gilda Radner used to say, "Never mind!"

I posted the wrong link. The one I gave was for the regular Starmap. Here's the one for SMP.

http://www.star-map....ProVersion.html

It gives the updated features.

Only 1 question, then. Is there an about screen in SMP, for checking on version number?

Ah, found it! It's under More... Help (the gang of 4 that begins with Lamp), and then Credits (scroll all the way to the bottom).

As to some of the new features...

1) the wifi look-up has potential (thus far the DSOs I've tried have mostly a dozen+ alternative catalog IDs and not much new info)

2) telescope control has no interest to me (gotos are too noisy for my taste), but I can understand the appeal

3) the addition of mini-photos for the Messiers is wonderfully helpful (good, e.g., for figuring out which galaxies in the Virgo cluster are which!) (maybe the brighter or most familiar NGCs can be next).

#84 GJJim

GJJim

Skylab

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:41 AM

Cool use of the ad hoc network capabilities, but this scope control feature also opens a can of worms. There doesn't seem to be a prompt to confirm the slew, any way to cancel a slew, and unless the operator is standing next to the scope, there is no feedback on the display that shows a slew is in progress. This control feature is certainly a good start but IMO the author needs to give a bit more thought to the details and consequences of moving big, expensive pieces of equipment around in the dark.

#85 Thomas Pfleger

Thomas Pfleger

Vendor - Eye&Telescope Software

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:38 AM

Is the upgrade automatic and free?

Your device will notify you when an application update is available. To download and install, select to do this in the AppStore application on your iPhone. This procedure is not specific to Starmap, it's this way for every app. The update is free of charge.

Tom

#86 GlenM

GlenM

Gemini

• -----

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:26 PM

Just updated mine. Even better now.

What an excellent piece of kit. I have been amazed by this software. Looking forward to future possibilities with my ipod touch.

Also updated GoSatWatch at the same time. Very nice update.

#87 Nick Cook

Nick Cook

Apollo

Posted 19 May 2009 - 01:57 AM

Feels increasingly like a copy of Starmap Pro will be landing on my iPhone soon! ;)

#88 GlenM

GlenM

Gemini

• -----

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:02 AM

You will certainly like it Nick.

#89 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:40 AM

Does the iTouch have the same capabilities as the iPhone?
I am considering getting a Touch. I've been looking for an excuse for the last 6 months. Actually, I want something that I can use to control a goto mount so I will wait a bit to see how the Bluetooth thing plays out.

Rob

#90 Brian Gibson

Brian Gibson

Vostok 1

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:54 AM

Yes, the second generation iPod Touch has the functionality required to run Starmap Pro and similar applications. It runs the same OS as the iPhone. It also has Bluetooth built-in which will be enabled once the iPhone 3.0 OS is released this summer.

Brian Gibson

#91 Astraforce Paul

Astraforce Paul

Vanguard

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:15 AM

iPhone includes the cell phone, camera, better speaker, etc.

Otherwise, as to software, they're functionally equivalent. I run Starmap Pro on my iPod Touch 2G and it works quite well. It's still not up to the ease of use and features of Planetarium on the Palm (that's partly the limits of Apple's tap-driven interface which isn't quite as good as Palm's menu-based one).

Planetarium has custom catalogs, fov precise selections, magnitude options for different fovs, more control over DSO display (by specific catalogs and objects), etc. One of its spiffiest features is using Graffiti to change directions and altitude (trace out an S on the screen and the view changes to the south; trace out a 4 and the altitude is set to 40 degrees).

In my observing, I use Planetarium running on a SONY Clie SJ33, an old color Palm OS 4 device, which works superbly. It also has the advantage that it only costs $50 used, which means one doesn't have to worry about dropping a $230-300 device in the dark! :)

As to Bluetooth, you're smart to wait and see what people report... sometimes BT is a bear and sometimes the implementations are not fully compatible.

#92 NewAstronomer

NewAstronomer

Soyuz

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:17 PM

Right now my laptop's/PC are windows only. I imagine I could use VNC thin client iPhone app and control software running on laptop to move my scope if I wanted (of course my slew maxes at 8x). Anyone doing something similar?

#93 bartine

bartine

Vanguard

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:44 PM

Just found SkyVoyager - through Carina Software - version 1.3 for $14.99 for the Ipod Touch.

Has anyone used it?

This app is supposed to provide WiFi scope control through their "SkyFi Wireless Telescope Adapter". It is supposed to work with a slew of goto scopes - seems to require a serial connection- the SkyFi controller is not too bad at $149.95.

This is supposed to interface with:
Meade LX-200 Classic and GPS
Meade LX-90, ETX, LXD, LX-400 ACF
Meade Magellan I and II
Celestron Ultima 2000
Celestron NexStar and NexStar GPS
Celestron CGE, GTO, CPC, SLT series
iOptron SmartStar/GOTONova
Orion Sirius, Atlas, SkyView Pro, Intelliscope
Takahashi Temma 2
ServoCAT Argo Navis, Sky Commander, Losmandy DSC
Astro-Physics GTO, Losmandy Gemini, Vixen SkySensor 2000

#94 dwright

dwright

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:04 PM

See this current thread:

http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1

#95 bartine

bartine

Vanguard

Posted 11 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

I have an iPod Touch - downloaded SkyVoyager. The goto functionality for outside use is not valid with the Touch because the iPod touch does not have a compass.

I am totally bummed...

#96 calibos

calibos

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:41 AM

I didn't think Sky Voyagers Goto control relied on the compass? Are you sure. I know that the dynamic sky view functionality is reliant on the compass, ie. Where you hold the iphone up to the sky and the screen displays the area of sky you are pointing the iPhone at. I didn't realise Goto was reliant on the compass though.

#97 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:52 AM

The telescope control in SkyVoyager is not dependent on the compass. Scope control from an iPod Touch works just fine. I think bartine was referring to the "point-to" technology where the device shows the area of the sky that you are pointing it to. This does require compass support.

If you just have an iPod touch, you can still use the inclinometer to display the sky at the correct altitude. You will need to figure out the azimuth yourself however.

#98 dcreemer

dcreemer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:46 AM

I have Sky Voyager and love it. I managed to get it to talk to my telescope (Nexstar 8) one time, via my MacBook. But since the MacBook was nearby anyway (and running the real desktop version of Voyager), I didn't see much point. I mostly use it (and Starmap Pro) for their dynamic chart capability.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics