•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ohio Never Ending Star Party Eterna Thread, Part 4

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1593 replies to this topic

#26 half meter

half meter

Voyager 1

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:35 AM

Dave, are you volunteering? ;)

Thanks, Steph!

Diane, here is a word picture for you (not quite 1,000 words!)

We're here in Athens trying to make up for the 7 hour time zone change plus 12 hours of trying to sleep on the plane. (I'm fine, but with 6 others in our group, I'm reminded that not everyone adjusts to travel as well.)

We took the subway into Athens from the airport, bags in tow, and then, following the Internet directions to the hotel, walked the final 15 minutes. We came to the end of the road and found no hotel. :( Regrouping, we sat down at a street cafe to a dinner of gyros and pizza :) and discussed our predicament. Apparently we were having a vigorous discussion because a nice spunky old Greek lady passing by understood that we couldn't find the hotel Zafolia (not an international chain hotel.) In broken English she repeatedly said she loved Americans (did the University of Michigan tee shirt make it that obvious? Together with the 7 suitcases, yes!) and that Americans are the best people in the world. Not quite knowing what to make of this full of energy, 4 foot 10 inch tall Greek lady, we engaged her in discussion. She told us to take the #18 trolley (connected to the overhead wires, not the #18 bus, mind you :lol:) and, counting us one by one, insisted that we take 7 of her trolley tickets (refusing our repeated attempts to pay, saying she was not a seller of trolley tickets.) Still bewildered by her generosity and enthralled by her charm, we continued to listen to her stories. After a while she volunteered that she had been to America once -- to Rochester, MN, at the Mayo clinic, and that she had a medical problem but now she was feeling fine. Finally we understood this saint of a lady! She was passing forward her good fortune at being healed in America. What an amazing first impression of a foreign land my 4 kids had just received!

#27 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:19 AM

...here is a word picture....

And a very vivid word picture at that! Good stuff, Gary. :waytogo:

#28 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:09 AM

Gary, I can just picture that great little Lady in my mind! What a wonderful encounter with the generosity of strangers!

#29 Scott Horstman

Scott Horstman

Vendor - Backyard Observatories

• Vendors

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:08 PM

That's awesome Gary. I'm guessing you have your ID all in order this trip :question: :lol:

Hey, we're family too ya know! When do we get to go globe trekking with Gary? :4

#30 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:25 PM

Athens has a square with a statute of Harry Truman, who is regarded as an hero there.

#31 Dob Frog

Dob Frog

Ninjamphibian

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:07 AM

...here is a word picture....

And a very vivid word picture at that! Good stuff, Gary. :waytogo:

Yes, and it gave me goosebumps. That's just wonderful!

I'm so glad you made it safely. Have fun!

#32 half meter

half meter

Voyager 1

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:56 PM

Don'tcha mean frogbumps? :D

My daughter took a picture of this lady so I can post it and spoil all of your mental images of her. (Actually, you probably have it just right -- she's looks like she's from central casting!)

Great weather, great food, friendly people... like BEOTS... I'd forgotten just how much I like it here. I thought Greece wasn't going to match the great time I had in Thailand but they're both top notch places to visit. Once I get to the islands in a week or so Greece may come out on top! :) If you're wondering, English is very commonly spoken here, more so than in Thailand.

#33 dgs©

dgs©

Hubble

Posted 19 July 2008 - 04:13 PM

If only you lived closer to me, I'd have volunteered to baby sit the 30"Ø. :grin:

I once worked with a structural engineer whose family still lives in Athens. He's wisely decided to change careers and went off to medical school. He related how Greeks tend to take looong, multi-hour lunch breaks, including nap time, then return to work later in the afternoon and working later into the evening. That then moves the dinner hour much later... like 9:00 or 10:00 pm. That marks the people eating in restaurants early in the evening as tourists. :grin:
Greek night life starts really late, at least compared to what passes for night life for me anymore. :p

I trust you'll have an album full of pictures to post for us before all the dust settles. :whistle:

#34 oldsalt

oldsalt

Astro Philosopher

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:01 PM

You are right Gary, Greece is a wonderful place. People are top notch too, they will actively engage you in conversation. Don't forget to purchase some "worry beads" while you are there. Local fare is pretty good eating, try the smaller restaurants, more local flavor. Have a great time.

#35 Scott Horstman

Scott Horstman

• Vendors

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:35 PM

Hey Jim. I like the new avitar. I think you have something growing on your shoulder though. Looks like an arm. A girl's arm. :grin:

#36 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 19 July 2008 - 11:26 PM

Them be called warts... :roflmao:

#37 Dob Frog

Dob Frog

Ninjamphibian

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:59 AM

Them be called warts... :roflmao:

Yep! :ubetcha:

Attached Files

#38 Dob Frog

Dob Frog

Ninjamphibian

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:19 AM

What a quiet little thread we've got here. Gary's off to Greece and we anxiously await pictures. But finally Pool and Eriker have returned from their trip and I'm sure they'll have pictures to share and now I can finally type with two hands again, etc. So what's going on with everyone?

#39 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:35 AM

Yeah, how did your surgery go, Di? I guess you're recovering.... :flower: I'm embarrassed to admit I'd forgotten about it. :o Bad Steph. :(

#40 Mike Lewis

Mike Lewis

Ranger 4

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:25 AM

Hi Diane,
In a word.......work......
Makes me cranky :lol:

#41 Scott Horstman

Scott Horstman

• Vendors

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:29 AM

So what's going on with everyone?

Well, I'm at my desk right next to you...duh! :smirk:

#42 csa/montana

csa/montana

• Moderators

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:46 AM

:roflmao: I just love the "togetherness" of you two!

#43 Inkswitch

Inkswitch

Ranger 4

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:22 PM

Work, work, and more work. Also lurking the the ohio star party thread.

#44 stevek

stevek

Apollo

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:23 PM

What a quiet little thread we've got here. Gary's off to Greece and we anxiously await pictures. But finally Pool and Eriker have returned from their trip and I'm sure they'll have pictures to share and now I can finally type with two hands again, etc. So what's going on with everyone?

Here... work & some camping & viewing every clear night. I've gotten my 60 yr old Polish neighbor into viewing with me. I think he's addicted & wants to get a scope. Beach camping next week, then a partial week with my folks @ Houghton Lk the next...then backpacking with Richard in Aug - hopefully with his portable scope.
Best to you & fam..
Steve

#45 csa/montana

csa/montana

• Moderators

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:35 PM

101° here yesterday, so not doing anything outside. (Actually, not much inside either :lol:)

#46 LDb

LDb

Apollo

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:46 PM

Hi Diane and everyone else too

I'm at work reading CN when I should be doing, well, something else.

I've been suffering withdrawal because the NE ohio skies have been uncooperative in recent weeks. Just a few sorta mediocre nights. Nothing to compare with that pristine 3 hours we had at BEOTS. I have had the opportunity to get some viewing in with the Siebert Binos and I really really like seeing with two eyes. So --- I'm getting a second complete set of Brandon ep's for myself.

My son Evan has been in Paris since 7/1 studying Composition. He'll be back in 3 weeks and then it's back to school in NYC 10 days later.

That's about it for me except that I'll be spending a week near Slippery Rock, Pa. at our annual Medieval "War" during end of July-August.

Hope you're all well.

Howard

#47 half meter

half meter

Voyager 1

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:01 PM

Backyard Observatories sure gets around!

Here's a picture from Olympia, Greece at the Temple of Zeus. The hat is positioned where the Olympic flame originates on its trip across 5 continents before ending up at the host city. :) They use a parabolic mirror to reflect the Sun's rays onto the torch to light it. It's no OMI mirror but it gets the job done!

Scott and Di, feel free to use this image in your Greece ad campaign. :D

Attached Thumbnails

• 2534565-DSCN2596web.jpg

#48 Paul Rix

Paul Rix

Gemini

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:20 PM

I'm finally getting back into some sort of normal routine after our trip to the UK. I haven't gone through any photos yet but one of us will post some here in the near future. Needless to say it was an enjoyable trip and it was great to see my family again (first time in five years for most of them).

Today I went to the office to catch up on paperwork. Thankfully there wasn't much, but I was duly informed that it was time for a 'Line check'. Welcome back ! :lol:
So this afternoon I was buzzing around the Zanesville and Coshocton area in a King Air 200 shooting single engine 'raw data' instrument approaches etc etc :scared:. Actually it was a great way to knock off any rust accumulated since leaving for the UK a couple of weeks ago. It felt good to be 'back in the saddle' again.

#49 Dob Frog

Dob Frog

Ninjamphibian

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:29 PM

Yeah, how did your surgery go, Di? I guess you're recovering.... :flower: I'm embarrassed to admit I'd forgotten about it. :o Bad Steph. :(

Not bad Steph, mean ole mod yes, but not bad Steph. ;)

Surgery went well. The dr. removed 3 bone spurs on my wrist and thumb, but also did some surgitizing for DeQuervain's tenosynovitis. This should relieve my hand pain quite a bit. When I woke up from the anesthesia, I had been dreaming that we were setting Stella up and getting ready to view. I woke up happy! :cool: I've learned to use my left hand a lot more and am working on getting my right hand back to normal.

#50 Dob Frog

Dob Frog

Ninjamphibian

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:32 PM

So what's going on with everyone?

Well, I'm at my desk right next to you...duh! :smirk:

:slap:

I just love the "togetherness" of you two!

Yeah, communication is really good. :ohgeeze:

I can't believe how hot it is there, Carol. It's been quite humid here and in the upper 80's.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics