•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Minus Violet Filter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#26 SAL

SAL

Vanguard

Posted 01 November 2003 - 09:26 AM

Joe: Thanks for the helpful information. I, like you, am not really all that bothered by false color, as I only notice it on really bright objects. But I have read that these filters make it easier to find correct focus. This makes them sound useful to me. I would like to err on the side of better color balance I think. Sounds like the contrast booster might be the best way to go. Thanks again for the information… (Scott)

#27 Jacques

Jacques

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 November 2003 - 11:05 AM

One more thing

The contrast booster also acts like a skyglow filter. So being a contrast enhancer and skyglow blocker, it's also useful in a reflector (as many folks own both scopes, that's something to think about).

#28 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 01 November 2003 - 02:35 PM

Hi,

I am definitely interested in a 2” filter for my 5” however I’m not sure what to get now.

The Orion V-Block is $89.95.
Baader Planetarium 2" Contrast Booster Filter is $78 and not available yet?
Baader Planetarium 2" Moon & Skyglow Filter is $55 and in stock (at AT&WB)

Which one would be best? I just want to leave it on.

Regards,
Stacy

#29 Jacques

Jacques

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 November 2003 - 02:55 PM

Heya Stacy,

I would not recommend the Moon-Skyglow as the only filter for your achromat. I have both the Contrast Booster and Moon-Skyglow. The Skyglow does a good job in darkening the sky background but also has the tendency to enhance chromatic abberation on bright objects. I expect the Contrast Booster to work very well on your scope (at F9.8?). Furthermore, you can also use the Contrast Booster on your newtonian. It performs very well on my achromats at F10 and F8.

Btw. I'm planning to sell the Skyglow cause the CB does essentially the same thing with the bonus of violet blocking.

Good luck with your choice, it's still kinda tough :question:

Jacques

#30 IDONTSEEIT

IDONTSEEIT

Apollo

Posted 01 November 2003 - 11:34 PM

Hi folks,

I've never heard of, and don't know anything about a "Moon-Skyglow" filter, but to me, it sounds like it will dim the views somewhat, ala moon filter, which is just an image darkener for the most part. I don't know if that's something I would just always leave in my diagonal??? It sounds like it may make it difficult to see some DSO's and dimmer objects like faint clusters, but maybe YMMV.

There appears to be some price disparity in filter prices, the 1.25" contrast booster is about $40, and the 1.25" v-block goes for about $60-80. Where as, Stacy says that the 2" V-block is $90 and the 2" contrast booster is $80. I wonder why this is?

#31 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 02 November 2003 - 01:15 AM

I wonder why this is?

Marketing! I guess? The 2” is quite a bit larger, so the coatings and raw materials must cost at least $5 more! :lol:

Here is a bummer. I decided to clean up my dusty Sirius NEB-1 filter that I never use, to sell it on Astromart. I forgot they use NO protective coatings so I totally ruined it. Live and learn I guess! :help:

Stacy

#32 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 02 November 2003 - 08:27 AM

Guys,
The V block filters work best for high mags and hi mag focusing mostly, if you want to use the refractor for moon and planets then you would leave the filter on always if you however, do mostly DSOs then yes take it off as its not needed on low light objects. Depends on what you view mostly. I would think most want variety depending on if the moon is new or out. Its a nice filter to have if you use an achro refractor but isnt necessary for everyone. Dave

#33 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 02 November 2003 - 08:32 AM

I know what ya mean Stacy,
cleaning optics is a gamble. I never clean anything im intending to sell anymore, I ruined a 90mm lens that same way once myself and had to buy a replacement just to sell it. I just tell the buyer now if its mint or is dusty. Dave

#34 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 02 November 2003 - 02:06 PM

Hi Dave,

The sad thing is that I KNEW not to touch it! Could have got maybe $50 for it. Now it's a nice piece of glass in a cell. :foreheadslap:

Regards,
Stacy

#35 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 02 November 2003 - 07:02 PM

Yea, me too, been there done that. We both are wiser for it now tho. Dave

#36 Blair

Blair

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 November 2003 - 07:37 PM

Hello Bob and Dave,
Thanks for getting me to buy Orion's V-block filter. I use in front of my diagonal and what a difference it makes in my 90mm/1000mm Japanese made achro. On Rasalgethi I was able to go to 200X tonight without the primary being distorted in color and having a purple halo. Also, the secondary's blue tint looked more blue. Also, was able to go to 200X on the Double Double as well. Thanks again. :roflmao:

#37 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 03 November 2003 - 01:43 AM

It's a terrific, effective filter! I have the Orion. Jeff Teng really displayed this kind of filters great qualities for visual and photographic use. He now owns a Takahashi 130 apo by the way. He certainly is an inspiration to budding young astrophotographers like me. :)

Michael

#38 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 03 November 2003 - 08:14 AM

Yes I like that filter a lot too. Id sure like to try out the Lumicon contrast booster filter too tho just to see if I like it as much or even better. One of these days Ill try one out. Dave

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics