•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CN Report: The Denkmeier BIPH

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#51 BrendanF

BrendanF

Ranger 4

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:14 PM

The August 2008 issue of ATT has a bunch of info on the BIPH (pp 18-19).

Among the info is the statement that the BIPH has a field of view that is equivalent to 42-mm eyepiece (type of eyepiece unstated, but I would guess normal 50 deg. AFOV type).

#52 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:16 PM

The FL looked a bit shorter than that. Doug said they had not determined it as yet.

T

#53 MikeV

MikeV

Sputnik

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:11 PM

I too was at that small N.E. gathering mentioned in the above post by Mike C. I was happy to finally get a chance to attend a viewing session to really see what BIPH could do. I was a bit skepical as I have used Generation I & II night vision devices before and have not been impressed. This was a totally different experience. The fine resolution surprised me as did the lack of scintilation I was expecting. There was some, but it was quickly forgotten as you got lost in the image that was presented. Now this does sound like a lot of hype, but the device is really that good. The most memorable objects for me were the edge on galaxy NGC891 and cruising the Veil which presented itself in startling detail. All the wisps and intricate detail of the Veil were there for the taking and the dust lane in NGC 891 was astounding.

The most interesting part of using the BIPH was how easy it was to incorporate in a night of viewing. It was swapped in and out of the telescope as easy as changing an eyepiece. The BIPH simply got out of the way and I really enjoyed looking at all kinds of objects going back and forth between a regular eyepiece and BIPH deciding which method looked better. It was a lot of fun and certainly one of those special nights of observing that I will remember for a long time.

Cheers,

Mike V.

#54 mythaeus

mythaeus

Explorer 1

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:14 PM

I am ready to sell a whole host of my equipments, including my TV Binoviewer to get me one of these :). I live in Philadelphia, PA so short of NYC, it's as polluted as it can get.

I am still a little unsure about the manification of the device. For example, if I stick the BIPH into my TV, what magnification will I get? How about in my NexStar 6?

Also, does "effectively triple your aperature" seem way too good to be true? If I get one of these, my TV-85 now becomes a 255mm refractor in light gathering?

Al

#55 StephenH

StephenH

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:49 PM

Will this work with the Power x Switch Diagonal #S2 w/ filter switch? If so, I'm sold.......

#56 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:22 PM

Please note:

The BIPH will now be offered through Doug Baum's company - Night Vision Astronomy, Inc. instead of through Denkmeier as previously stated. Night Vision Astronomy can be found on the web at: http://www.nightvisionastronomy.com

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics