•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jul08 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Jul08 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll! (649 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Image is our Winner?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:07 AM

Welcome to the July 2008 Cloudy Nights Imaging/Sketching Contest poll!

Each month the best images selected from the individual Cloudy Nights Imaging and Sketching forums will be presented for the userbase to vote on. The monthly winner receives the coveted Cloudy Nights t-shirt! At the conclusion of the poll, the entry with the highest total will be the winner of the contest..

Please choose your favorite out of all the images. This poll will remain open through August 15th at midnight EDT.

Here are the entries for July!

Beginning Imaging's Finalist - Nils_Lars:

Posted Image

M20 - 30 mins of 3 min subs with 5 flats 1 dark shot through the C6S at 6.3 on a CG-5 with a unmodded 400D

Film Astrophotography's Finalist - huckabuck:

Posted Image

Orion and surrounds

this was taken from my dark sight near the Savannh River. 35 miles from Statesboro Ga. i used an Olympus om-1 with a Zuiko 135mm 1:2.8 lense. lense set @ F5.6 and exposed for 7 mins. Fuji Superia 400 asa. hand tracked using my home-made plywood eq mount

DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing's Finalist - weatherandsky:

Posted Image

On July 5, 2008 I had the pleasure of observing and photographing the stars at a local conservation area and dark sky site in Binbrook, Ontario, Canada. I imaged this scene with an unmodified Canon 40D, Sigma 17-70mm lens (17mm @f2.8) and standard camera tripod with no tracking. This is a stack of 15x20sec exposures @ ISO 800 on the Milkyway down to the tree line, and another single 20sec exposure on the rest of the landscape below to create a two frame composite. Stacking was done in Deep Sky Stacker and processing was done in PS with layers. I was really lucky that the the water was beautiful and still enough so that the stars casted a nice reflection in the water.

CCD Imaging & Processing's Finalist - Jared:

Posted Image

M13--The Great Globular in Hercules

July 12th, 2008 at Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park, California
Astro-Physics Mach1 GTO mount, Vixen VC200L telescope @ f/9, SBIG STL-11000M camera
x2 five minute exposures for luminosity; x1 each exposure for RG&B
Captured in Equinox Image; calibrated in Maxim DL; post processed in Photoshop CS3
Dark frames, synthetic flat frame, Lucy Richardson deconvolution

Solar System Imaging's Finalist - iceman:

Posted Image

Jupiter with GRS, Europa and Shadow, Ganymede and Io.
12" newt, 5x powermate, DMK21AU04 on an EQ6.
Central Coast, NSW Australia

50 seconds each channel, ~600-700 frames stacked in each channel using Registax. Further processing in Registax, AstraImage and Photoshop CS2.

Sketching Forum's Finalist - markseibold:

Posted Image

Moon, 2 days past full July 20th 2008 Midnight ~ 2 AM, observed through Nexstar 5i with 32mm Plossl and 12mm Plossl for close-up inset image in detail.

*Sky clear, calm; seeing estimated as 9/10.
*Temperature 63 deg F dropping to 58 with dew point rising fast.

Observed through a Nexstar 5i at low and medium magnification, my original intention was to render this sketch as the whole moon.

Materials used:

Canson Mi Tientes medium tooth Blue Indigo paper of 20” X 24”.

Old antique pastel chalk sticks in square sticks and round include Sargeant, Grumbacher, Eagle Prismapastel, and various carbon greys as Swan Stbilo CarbOthello brand; I have purchased a few new ones as small square sticks. These are NuPastel. I have never used a blending stick. Only cotton swabs, Q-Tips and occasionally my bare fingers although I abstain from that as I know that it destroys the paper surface. I have never used a fixative on any of my works so they are vulnerable to smearing, thus kept stored until determination of whot to do with them in many requested prints now. Occasionally but not too often I accidentally smear some chalk in the void blank areas. I will lightly clean off or erase those areas with a dampened cotton swab before photographing the work with a 5.1 megapixel Sony Cybershot under north daylight or photoflash at night. If exposure is insufficient, I will drop brightness in Photoshop by a fer points and raise the contrast an equal amount. Color balancing is done with the camera settings per the ambient light- True north UV daylight or photoflash.

This was the first time I also used new chalk pencils by Faber Castell in snow white and a Swan Stabilo in cream white.

Much of the color on the whole moon was left as unblended with the exception of some small portions as you can see. That image is to be somewhat impressionistic yet I have rendered the actual craters and maria as accurate in position and placement as I could in under 2 hours (25 ~ 30 minutes of that time was spent on the close-up inset detail which actually became the final work for this forum.) Finally my left hand was omitted from the lower potion of the work with Photoshop erasure so as to not clutter the subject matter, hence the vignetting in the lower edges of the blank blue indigo paper.

Good Luck to all our finalists!

#2 Dick Lipke

Dick Lipke

Viking 1

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:52 AM

Thank you weatherandsky,I never thought I would be able to see what Heaven would be like while still alive,but you made that possible.THANK YOU!

#3 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:09 PM

Oof! Tough choice.
Jared's has the technical excellence. Truly stupendous for an 8" and I see that Vixen lives up to its reputation.
Weatherandsky's image is the type I'd buy and frame and sit and stare at for hours.
and Iceman's image of Jupiter looks like a flyby photo.
How do you choose?
:foreheadslap:

#4 genbo

genbo

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:28 PM

I really appreciate the hand sketching "markseibold" did. The picture brings out a beautiful 3d effect. It shows his talent and patience for the art.

The rest are wonderful photos!!! Everyone did a great job.

#5 NyxAither

NyxAither

Apollo

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:19 PM

Beautiful film astrophoto from Huckabuck! Taken with a homemade mount and hand tracked as well! Beautiful work from everyone!

P.S.- I really think Nils_lars has graduated from Beginning Imaging (-:

#6 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:59 PM

I was in awe of weatherandsky's when it was an APOD choice, and I am still in awe of it.

#7 Mark Jenkins

Mark Jenkins

Messenger

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:05 PM

Agreed!

It was a tough choice between it and Jared's excellent M13.

Iceman's Jupiter was in that tough choice as well. Simply superb!

#8 Sol

Sol

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:30 PM

Really difficult as usual. I could pick four right off that would be my top choice just on how they grab me visually. M13 is dazzling and technically perfect, Weatherandsky is simply beautiful, Jupiter and the moons look like they were taken by a space probe! Mark Seibold's artistry and fine use of texture and colour is outstanding - hmmmm, what a choice.

Mark

#9 Mark Costello

Mark Costello

Soyuz

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:35 PM

Trying to pick out the winner from this bunch is giving me a headache, they're all too good. The Milky Way photo reminds me of that etherial look deep sky objects as I catch them just in or above a bunch of trees. The photos of Jupiter and M13 are extremely detailed and sharp. After looking hard at the sketch of the moon I'd swear I was looking at a globe.

But I have to really tip my hat to the first two entries when I see what they were done with. I'm finally going with the photo of M20, the nebulae just look as they are floating in space.

#10 ChrisSant

ChrisSant

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:35 PM

all are fantastic images good work guys!

#11 Davidgojr

Davidgojr

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for those amazing images and sketches. It's almost a pity that I can only choose 1 to vote for. Keep up the great work!

#12 Starnek

Starnek

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:42 PM

The sketch is really well done. It is also one that I would frame and put on my wall. This month was really a tough choice, but I think that the sketch is the best I've seen in a while.

#13 mjmccoy64

mjmccoy64

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:27 PM

Tough choices. Seem like the images just keep getting better and better.

#14 Red_5

Red_5

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:39 PM

awesome selection as always ;)

#15 Villeponteau

Villeponteau

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:04 PM

All the pictures are great, but I like the Milky Way picture the best.

Villeponteau
Zhumell 10" DOB

#16 stephenramsden

stephenramsden

Soyuz

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:14 PM

The Milky Way shot is magical.

#17 bc1954

bc1954

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:14 PM

Absolutely beautiful work by all.
I concur with the idea that Nils has moved beyond "Beginner" status.

Regards,
-Bruce

(edited to remove redundant info. -bc)

#18 AstroPhys

AstroPhys

Apollo

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:06 PM

Beautiful work. They are ALL winners and each unique. Congratulations!!

#19 milky_way

milky_way

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:19 PM

I like very much the Milky Way shot.

#20 Carol L

Carol L

Cosmos

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:21 PM

Beautiful film astrophoto from Huckabuck! Taken with a homemade mount and hand tracked as well!

My feelings exactly... :bow: it certainly got my vote! :waytogo:

#21 docpete

docpete

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:01 PM

Huckabuck did a fantastic job. Love the pinpoint stars only film can provide. The homemade mount (like those I used to read the plans for in Astronomy, Sky & Telescope) did a nice job!

#22 kmsu

kmsu

Vendor / Maxvision

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:40 PM

I like to be the 3nd

Very beautiful!!!

#23 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:06 PM

It's to bad you have to pick just one!! The images are all so beautiful!!!!!!!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

#24 sunnynights

sunnynights

Sputnik

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:22 PM

---All selections were superb choices. The Beginner's and CCD entries had a magical 3-D quality, the film entry gave a wonderful result especially with classic imaging methodology, the Jupiter image was something I'd expect from a spacecraft, and the sketch was a delightful composite.
---Here's a question: Does weatherandsky plan to market this image and if so (and I hope it is so) where can we purchase one?

#25 UKJim

UKJim

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:31 AM

MarkSeibolds sketch for me. It requires concentration and careful observation to draw, let alone render in pastels. I am sure everyone would learn the Moon's features far quicker if they sketched.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics