•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

This is the Best Laptop for the Field!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
91 replies to this topic

#51 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:46 AM

Looks like my U305 was refresed into the U400 series. I get about 3-3.5 hours with it. They do have an extended battery - which I don't have.

My only complaint is that the lid scratches VERY easily (and my keyboard squeaks a bit).

T

#52 AlexDJ30

AlexDJ30

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:27 AM

Well i think maybe the size in laptops on the field is not important, but yes i prefer something smaller and lighter than a big size laptop (with all bell and whistles). Like i said maybe this is not the best for the field..but does afine job of doing it, the display i think the only problem i did encounter of software was google earth doing some warning, but after that it did work fine (then why the heck send a warning message on the screem?? LOL), the resolution is OK for this size..you dont need more resolution (unless you play games). This lapt its not intended for gamers..if it was for that then i prefer a desktop with twice his power at the same price.

Tom i think you will like this acer one, of course i think all major comp companies (HP, Toshiba, a compaq,dell, gateway) will be coming with very cool small models, but like i said i have an aspire one and i have been happy with it, the size, the HD, and the speed are very nice for what I do (i dont do any gaming or high processind demanding applications), if you inted to do gaming or intesive processing this laptop to be all in one, its not the choice.

#53 Senpai

Senpai

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:24 PM

I purchassed the EeePC 701/4G. Wery cheap but working great. Not so worry about it in the field...
And... wery small power adapter, like from the cell phones...
Tried to guide with FT245-based autoguider and ProGuider II.
StarCalc and C2A works great...

#54 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:40 PM

My Asus 1000H came today. Played with it briefly. 10" screen is as small as my 44 year old non-glass wearing eyes can handle, not bad. Good bright display. Not sure what astronomy application I'm going to get into but will eventually play around with some beginner astro imaging and load some star chart software for the field. :)

Here's a image of the EEE 1000H with the 13mm Ethos! :cool:

Attached Thumbnails

• 2646497-Asus 1000H.jpg

#55 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:53 PM

Shweet!

That thing looks really small.

T

#56 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:12 PM

That thing looks really small.

Nah, that eyepiece is just really big... :grin:

Keyboard is comfortable enough to type with two hands, though I'am not a touch typist... more like a hunt and peck keyboarder. ;)

#57 AlexDJ30

AlexDJ30

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:13 AM

the aspire one should be smaller..in fact 1 inch less (8.9 screen size)

#58 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:56 AM

I dunno. that Bezel is pretty large on the acer. Course it looks pretty big on that asus too.

#59 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:43 PM

Computerworld review of 4 minis

Asus Aspire One
Asus Eee PC1000
HP Mini-Note
Sylvania G Netbook

http://www.computerw...ticleId=9114478

No major revelations ... just interesting to see them side by side.

#60 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:41 PM

Here's a video review of

HP 2133
Acer Aspire One
Asus eee 901
MSI Wind

You can see them side by side and get a feeling for their respective sizes.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=0CuxV-jsrk8

#61 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:00 PM

Cool!

Another interesting video on those netbooks:

http://news.cnet.com...erColumnArea1.2

BTW, using my Asus 1000H to write this post :D

#62 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:19 PM

Ok, here's a new contender.

Asus N10

http://www.jr.com/asus/pe/ASU_N10JA2/

It's actually got discrete graphics (and onboard to save power - reboot to switch).

I'm very very tempted - except for $800, I'd like a core 2 rather than an atom. Still tho, I'm on the verge of canceling my Aspire 6 cell, 160 gig preorder....

#63 karlpenney

karlpenney

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:49 PM

I'm gradually acquiring the pieces for an autoguiding setup and one of these little notebooks seems like it would fit nicely. I'm looking at an Aspire ONE with XP and 6-cell battery.

Any of these sub-notebooks should be able to run PHD no problem, right? I'd also like to use DSLR Shutter at the same time to control the camera. Anyone tried something like this yet?

I wonder how these fare in cold weather, say -5C? I suppose the issues are no different than with any other laptop.

#64 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:36 AM

Ok, here's a new contender

A gamer's netbook! ;)

#65 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:49 AM

Yup. My question is how bad is the atom - in terms of running games - really. It would be nice to have a decently powered netbook. Of course, we're left with the question - is it worth an extra $400 premium.... :crazy:

Karl, I would think the would have little problem with PHD. Their capabilities are about what you would have gotten in a top of the line notebook 3 years ago or so.

T

#66 groz

groz

Vanguard

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:17 AM

Any of these sub-notebooks should be able to run PHD no problem, right? I'd also like to use DSLR Shutter at the same time to control the camera. Anyone tried something like this yet?

If the sub-notebook has a 600 high screen, it'll probably be ok. Neither of those programs will work correctly on one of the ones with the 480 high screen. phd clips the bottom part of the window, all the buttons are gone, and unretrievable. dslr shutter does similar. Neither allow the window to be resized to fit the small display. My asus r2h tablet would be an ideal unit for use at the telescope, except, virtually none of the software for astronomy works well on it's 800x480 display and touch screen, with no mouse or keyboard.

#67 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:54 AM

"Nearly" every unit in this class displays at 1024x600. The Sylvania G and the original Eee are the exceptions that I can think of off the top of my head.

#68 AlexDJ30

AlexDJ30

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:19 PM

well tom the ptoblem is that acer didnt expecttoo many orders for the aspire one netbooks, of course tom this netbooks are not for intesive gaming (heck for that buy a desktop or a very powerfull laptop), The Atom is fine for running low class games tom (its 1.6 ghz, in some reviews they compared above the celeron of the same class and speed)..dont expect running on this little netbook games like Crysis, Call of Duty 4 and so on , older games like ages of empire III and that can be played at a decent frame rate, the problem is the videocard on this netbooks, non of them at least use ATI or Nvidia, maybe in a future we will see both companies entering the arena of the netbooks but for right now only intel are doing their video chipsets.

#69 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:27 PM

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the comments.

Yeah, my comments were more along the lines of wondering if the Nvidia discrete graphics solution in the asus n10 would be enough of a boost to play some older games with the atom it ships with.

I understand the atom ranks about like a pentium M. Still, there are few to no benchmarks out there anywhere that show it's performance with the nvidia solution (probably because this is the first discrete graphics / atom notebook).

The GMA950 chipset is pretty bad as per 3d support. Intel's x3100 is a little better, but you're right - nowhere near as good as nividia or ati.

I dunno. We'll see if I actually get the PC this week. If I don't then I'll probably give some serious consideration to popping for the Asus N10.

T

#70 AlexDJ30

AlexDJ30

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:35 PM

Tom i think this little netbook should use ATi or Nvidia cards (Intel has been far off from gaming cards on my list long time ago), maybe they are not using it because it will increase the price by 20 to 30 bucks (saying that intel chipset is much less expensive) and they dont expect lots of people using this little guys for playing, more like doing office, surfing the internet, hearing mp3's some movies compressed and thats it, not for playing games, doing autocad or photoshop LOL.
Tom i think acer have low inventories because everywhere i look most of them are sold out, they didnt expect to sell very fast this little machines, or have a great impact, but everybody here in mex are eager to have one and they backordered here in mex.

I think this netbooks could come with ati or nvidia card a that would be around the graphic cappabilites of a gamecube (nintendo) and beeing inside ssoldered on the motherboard..i dont expect more of this little machines.

#71 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:14 PM

I think the main reasons it isn't commonly used have to do with increased costs (as you get at) - note the Asus N10 commands a $300+ premium vs the Acer One - and power draw - it's worse for battery life.

I think you're right, that isn't the intended market for this thing, but me being me, I still would like one. :)

Thanks

T

#72 AlexDJ30

AlexDJ30

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:22 PM

Yeah Tom..i think the market for this laptops mainly is using the Internet, foing office documents and PDF, hearing some mp3..and thats it..maybe some less sofisticated photo software (not photoshop but the freeware around the net)... but maybe in the future we will see very powerfull little netbooks,.
I was dissapointed by Dells offering of the mini laptop, the lack of big HD is out of my list. I just hope other brands (like toshiba) enter the marked of this little guys.

#73 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:34 PM

I've heard Toshiba is planning on offering one.

#74 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:49 PM

I've heard Toshiba is planning on offering one.

BINGO... http://www.engadget....ming-to-the-uk/

Though I have to say it's becoming impossible to differentiate between the various models and manufacturers... The specs are very close.

#75 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:41 PM

Well, after weighing, re-weighing and weighing once again all the pros, cons and specs of the various netbooks... I ended up buying one of these:

http://www.bestbuy.c...=30&loc=KW-1152

All the netbooks were attractive, but the price point and features for the Sony won out...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics