•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Recommendations For A Guide Scope For My 8" LX200

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Steve Saturn

Steve Saturn

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 09 October 2003 - 11:41 PM

I'm looking for a good guidescope to use with an autoguider on my 8" f10 LX200. I'll be using a CCD camera on the main scope with an f6.3 or f3.3 focal reducer. Any recommendations? I'm looking at a Meade AR-5, but it seems like it would be awfully ackward. I'd appreciate any helpful thoughts. Thanks.

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 23 October 2003 - 10:37 AM

Steve - I have a Meade 8" on an LXD-650CDS EQ mount all tricked out for CCD work (I have been doing mostly visual work with my LX-200 10" and have not yet gotten serious with the CCD). My guidescope is a 90mm (500mm f.l.) Maksutov-Cassegrain (a ProOptics spotter scope from Adorama). I obtained a dewshield advertised for the ETX-90 which is exactly the same outside diameter. I painted it gloss white to match and affixed it, more or less permanently, with metal tape (that silver heat-transfer type). This tube assembly is mounted in a GuideStar adjustable ring system. Dew heaters are used on everything.

Since the autoguider wants the guidescope to be at least half the focal length of the main scope, it will probably be necessary to use a Barlow. I like this arrangement, at least for now, but an appropriate slow refractor would have been a good choice.

A word about the GuideStar mount: I really like it. You can point off-angle without losing stability. I bought another one for my 10" just so I could piggyback my Celestron rich-field refractor. Regards - Paul G.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics