•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

looking to buy power supply for 10" LX200GPS

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2003 - 03:17 PM

I am looking to buy a Radio Shack 12 volt a/c power suppy
#22-504 for my 10" LX200GPS. This is rated at 3amps. Is this unit ok to run my scope off of? My NS11 came with a ac adapter but plug/unit will not fit or run the Meade.... :question:

Mike......

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 11 October 2003 - 03:55 PM

Hi, Mike.

You might look at the one offered by www.scopestuff.com; it does a nice job and appears to be better suited for outdoor use and comes with the correct cable for the scope. The Radio Shack job you mention should do OK as far as the telescope is concerned.

#3 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2003 - 04:19 PM

Thankyou for responce. It's for home viewing when not using the NS11GPS. I rather use house current than battery at home. And I think I can run both scopes on the unit. Since I already have dc cable for for LX200 that can be used on the Radio Shack unit, I dont feel like waiting Scope stuff delivery in 2 weeks. Radio Shack is 1/4 mile from my house so trip is real fast! Like you said it looks like both units can do the job.I just needed that confirmation.

Mike........
:waytogo:

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 01 December 2003 - 09:28 PM

Hi Mike,

Your Radio Shack power supply should work fine.

We (ScopeStuff) ship about 95% of our orders same day, and most of those ship by USPS Priority Mail for USA customers. I don't understand your reference about waiting for delivery in two weeks. We can't beat 1/4 mile from your house, but we try hard to keep it to a few days!

Jim

jimh@bga.com
www.scopestuff.com

#5 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 01 December 2003 - 09:37 PM

We (ScopeStuff) ship about 95% of our orders same day, and most of those ship by USPS Priority Mail for USA customers.

Hi, Jim.

I can report that the stuff gets to Ohio amazingly fast - every time! :jump:

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 02 December 2003 - 07:01 PM

Hi Jim, Your stuff gets to Portland amazingly fast as well! Been meaning to send you an email of thanks but now that you're here...Thanks! I got my Antares W70s safe and sound and they perform wonderfully!

Regards, Tom

#7 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 06 December 2003 - 12:59 PM

Hi Jim: Didnt mean anything personal there. I have heard from a few people on how good/reliable scopestuff is and I am not knocking it. I was just impatient on getting a power supply asap for that week. All the deliveries I have been receiving this year for my scope supplies never made the expected due date lol. Next time I will give ScopeStuff a chance. The sky here has been terrible (NJ) this fall. Now I am looking outside my office window today (yes I am working today) at the biggest meanest snowstorm I have ever
seen to date. Boy I wish I was in the desert right now!

Mike.....

#8 Echo

Echo

Gemini

Posted 06 December 2003 - 03:04 PM

Mike,
Boy I wish I was in the middle of the snowstorm right now! We're socked in with clouds so I might as well get some fun snow to go with it.

#9 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2003 - 11:54 AM

Hi Echo! No you dont want to be in all this snow. Those clouds in desert gotta move on soon. But here snow will stay awhile - that means no viewing :p. I did get a chance to use 31mm Nagler on the LX200 10GPS. There was a little bean affect and a little color distortion too but on whole its a cool EP. Worth the price? Depends on your pocket. Now that the EP fever is over for me this year, its time to get the JMI case and some software and a laptop. I read a members note asking if you can enter the RA/DEC of a target manually on the LX200. I honestly havent tried it. I did it with my old 8" LX200 classic. Have you tried it the gps models?

Mike....

#10 Echo

Echo

Gemini

Posted 07 December 2003 - 12:41 PM

Mike,
My scope is a classic but I'm pretty sure you can enter the Ra and Dec manually on any version. Thanks for the word on the Nagler. I think my next purchase is going to be a Vixen 10mm lanthanum. I need a better eyepiece at 250x to find planetary nebulae and these appear to have decent eye relief. I'll still take the snow! It actually wouldn't last long enough here. As soon as the sun comes up the temps rise too. I think you'll be pleased with the JMI case once you get past the price tag. I got a good deal on my HP laptop over the summer. I bought a discontinued model but it's fully loaded. Between the Christmas sales now and the pre-inventory sales next month you may find something cool. Are you going to get Starry Night Pro?

#11 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2003 - 02:39 PM

I havent decided. But I hear its a good software. Can I use Starry Night Pro on laptop to run scope? It either that or purchase the Meade software. Oh by the way the eye relief on the Nagler 31 is good. Let me know how the Vixen 10mm goes. How about I pack some of this snow and FEDEX it to you? I will be careful not to scoop up any yellow snow There is alot of deer around here! :lol:

#12 Echo

Echo

Gemini

Posted 07 December 2003 - 05:29 PM

I'd love to have the snow but I bet Earl who drives my Fedex route would not be too happy! Yellow snow not approved!
I do believe that Starry Night Pro will drive the scope. I'd double check that though and not just take my word for it.

#13 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 08 December 2003 - 08:39 AM

By the way: Not getting away from this original post, I purchased the RS power supply for the LX200. It works fine. I did have to go in to Autstar2 to change the slew speed-it was going bonkers. It was really whining and going too fast then it was stopping,going as it was slewing. I checked the speed setting and it was at max so I brought it down to 6 and it ran smoothly after that. I wonder if this was due to the 1.7K upgrade I downloaded? Anyway it's fine now. If you or anyone had this problem please respond....

#14 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 08 December 2003 - 08:51 AM

Thats very strange. The slews speeds should not change between power supplys. Max is max. 8 deg per sec no matter what the power source (excluding dead batteries). I noticed no slew speed changes after upgrading to 1.7k or 2.0e.

#15 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 08 December 2003 - 09:25 AM

I know. I thought it could be the power supply but when I dropped the slew speed to 6 deg. per sec it stopped. Think its the power supply or software?

#16 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 08 December 2003 - 09:41 AM

First I would check the power supply voltage. Make sure its putting out 12 volts and not 18-20. The extra voltage may be enough to spin the motors faster than intended but not enough to fry anything. If the voltage is correct I'd do a reset on the autostar. With a full reinstall of 1.7k as a last resort if all else fails.

#17 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 08 December 2003 - 10:25 AM

Will do. I guess I will have to obtain a voltage meter to test it. I can get one at the Shack. The reload of 1.7k is also not a problem. You mentioned 2.0E. Is this a new upgrade for LX200GPs?

#18 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 08 December 2003 - 10:31 AM

You could bring the Power supply with you for them to check, if you don't want to buy the meter :)

2.0E is what comes with the Smart Mount upgrade. Operationally I don't think its any different than 1.7k except for the Smart Mount menu items and its operation.

I have not had a chance to try it out yet.

#19 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 08 December 2003 - 10:42 AM

I have more info I just got off the net from the 'Shack'.
its 120 vac input regulated 13.8VDC. But states its for 12V/AC power units.

#20 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 08 December 2003 - 12:09 PM

13.8 is fine, actually the LX200GPS scopes seem to like the extra 1.8 volts as opposed to 12v. What I would be checking is that the supply is not outputting more than 13.8. Its possible but not probable just something to check. To narrow down the possibilities.

#21 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 08 December 2003 - 10:49 PM

Mike,

You might look at the output of the power supply with an oscilloscope, or check the AC ripple content with an AC voltmeter, while loaded. (the power supply loaded, not you! ;=)

The power supply might have high ripple on the output, which could make the motors 'sing'. If the ripple were that high, I would be concerned running the scope on it.

Their regulated power supplies are generally pretty good, and are often used for CB radios and the like, where high ripple is unacceptable.

Jim

#22 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 09 December 2003 - 08:52 AM

Hi all: I am taking it (power supply) over to the Shack and have them throw a volt meter on it to test today. If it is within exceptable limits then I will reload 1.7K. I also am placing my order for the SMT software to bring scope up to specs. I will report later on how it went.

#23 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 10 December 2003 - 12:21 PM

Hi all:
I took the unit to the 'Shack' and it tested 13.8. So I wonder now if it was the Meade 1.7K. Now should I now re-download the program?

#24 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 10 December 2003 - 12:58 PM

You could try a reset first. Then, if that don't do the trick, re-load the firmware.

You could also (before the above steps) throw some new batteries in it and see what happens at the Max slew rate. If it behaves well then the PS is still suspect. Like Jim said it may not show bad behavior if its not "loaded".

If it still slews faster than it should after trying the batteries I'd do the reset, reload firmware thing.

Let us know how it goes.

Good luck!

#25 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 12 December 2003 - 05:18 PM

I would recommend what Grizz said about reseting it first. My 12" LX200 when crazy on me about 8 months ago and I relaoded the software but it still went crazy. I then reset it and then loaded the software and it worked fine. Never did figure out what had gone wrong but it worked fine after that. I guess a stray electron had gone stray.

Charles

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics