•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Question: 100mm Orion f6 vs 102mm Celestron f5

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2003 - 03:40 AM

Hi All;

I am the newbie with some questions. :bow:

Are there any major differences in these scopes? Won't they both have about the same color correction problems at high power? Is one better built than the other?

Any hands on info would be appreciated.

I like the fact that the Celestron is shorter (easier to haul around) Orion seems to have great customer service (a huge benefit) and their package deals seem pretty good (both price and completeness)

I am looking forward to conversing with you all.
Blessings
Keith

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2003 - 06:42 AM

With a smaller aparture scope I would want the longest focal length possible for the color correction. At least an f/10 or f/11.

Smaller diameter scopes even if they are long don't usually present that much of a mobility problem like their larger cousins.

#3 Bill Grass

Bill Grass

Prince Regent

Posted 13 October 2003 - 04:19 PM

I have the Orion 100mm f/6 scope, and I have really been enjoying it. Unfortunately, I can't compare it to the Celestron, since I don't have any experience with the Celestron. I'd like to hear what other people have to say about this.

#4 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam

Posted 13 October 2003 - 06:18 PM

From what I understand of the two scopes:

1) They are both manufactured by synta. Therefore QC is probably about the same. Orion may or may not do a better job of controling what they get - I suspect not much, but I could be all wet.

From owners I hear the following (and it makes sense)

1)the f6 version takes power a little better

2)the f6 version deals with simple eyepeices better

3)the f6 version has less false color (although I suspect this isn't huge)

There isn't much of a difference in length - probably 4-8 inches. To me, that 4-8 was too much only because I wanted to fit it in as small a case as possible. Personally, if I'd wanted a scope that long, I'd have gone with the Orion 80ed instead of the f6 - BUT I have a TV102 already.

Tom T.

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2003 - 01:28 AM

Thanks for all the answers.

Any major differences in the build quality? Things like plastic parts on one that are metal on the other, etc.

I was about set to get the Orion when I started reading about Tom's adventures with the Celestron. The shorter size would make it easier to take camping, etc. However as my only scope the longer Orion seems like a better idea. Decisions, decisions! :question: That is a great thing 'bout the net, forum discussions.

Blessings
Keith

#6 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 14 October 2003 - 02:22 AM

A friend of mine just got the Celestron in :cool:, seems OK so far, but tomorrow we'll test it for sharpness (we'll have a 7.5mm Ultima and a good barlow). It did show us the Ring Nebula from extremely light polluted skies. It easily split Almaak and Polaris, but we didn't have enough power :bawling: (10mm EP for 50X) for the double double. With a 25mm EP the double double and Vega were comfortably in the field of view together.

Included finderscope is kind of useless, but when a 25mm only gives 20X it's not really needed. Focuser a bit stiff. Included 45 degree diagonal had a crack, fortunately we had another one.

One thing about portability -- consider the mount. My friend bought a mount from Orion for his Celestron (no brand loyalty there) and now he has a very portable scope but if you factor in the mount (similar to the LXD55 except they include a polar finderscope) it's much less so.

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2003 - 10:08 AM

Can you use use the regular tripod for stargazing? That would solve some of the portability problem, I think.

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2003 - 12:10 PM

Stelios,

What mount did your friend buy? Is it good and stable?

What mount were you refering to as being like an LXD55, the one Celestron includes with the scope?

I am still torn between an azalt and Eq. I like the 1 knob tracking of a properly aligned Eq, but many people seem to us an azalt for "jumping" around the skies.

Blessings
Keith

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2003 - 12:29 PM

Keith, it seems the EQ mount would be better if you want to add atleast an RA motor so you can track a particular object for a while or do some photography.

#10 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam

Posted 14 October 2003 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for all the answers.

Any major differences in the build quality? Things like plastic parts on one that are metal on the other, etc.

Keith, they are both from synta so build quality is going to be about idenitcal on these two.

Personally, if it were my *ONLY* scope, I'd probably go for the 4" f6 version. (Actually, that's not quite true - if it were my *ONLY* *ONLY* scope I'd probably go for an 8-10" intelliscope dob)

Tom T.

#11 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 14 October 2003 - 02:15 PM

What mount did your friend buy? Is it good and stable?
What mount were you refering to as being like an LXD55, the one Celestron includes with the scope?

I am afraid the actual mount was an Orion closeout. He got it for $130. But it was VERY similar to the Orion EQ-2 mount. I wouldn't call it very stable, but stable enough for a scope that is usually used at 50X or less.

I am still torn between an azalt and Eq. I like the 1 knob tracking of a properly aligned Eq, but many people seem to us an azalt for "jumping" around the skies.

For low-power usage (as is likely with these short-tube refractors) I don't quite see the *need* for an equatorial mount. But the equatorial has the flexibility of being usable with a much longer focus instrument when the addition of a drive for tracking can make all the difference in the world. IMHO if you will be using powers of around 100X (and up), you will feel the lack of an equatorial mount with drive. I have used equatorial mounts for the last 30 years, and have never felt the need for an alt-az, but I do prefer looking at distinct objects rather than "sweeping around".

#12 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2003 - 10:05 PM

Thanks all for the ideas.

Stellarvue put their Nighthawk on sale for $399. I took the plunge. :jump: Seems like everything I read about these scopes, no one ever regrets spend the money on it. Way more than I was planning on spending, :o but they ARE built well. I have never regreted buying good tools. So I guess the waiting begins, should be here Monday. (I live in the Pac N.W. so it will be raining and cloudy. ) I bought the whole package. The only question I have is about the EQ mount and its steadyness. It looks a little on the small side.

Hey Honey, has UPS arrived yet?:praying: (Keith, counting the hours)

More to follow.
Blessings
Keith

#13 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 18 October 2003 - 02:51 AM

I hear good things about the NightHawk. I would love to hear how you like it.

Regards,
Stacy

#14 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2003 - 11:16 PM

Stacy;
Me Too! It is due here Monday by UPS. So I guess a general warning should be issued to all astronamers in the Pacific Northwest:

WARNING- Cloudy Nights ahead, New scope checkout in Progress! :jump:

#15 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2003 - 12:00 AM

Keith, My forecast calls for rain for the next week! It's your fault!!! :flame: :p

#16 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2003 - 04:40 PM

UPS shows it arrived in Redmond yesterday. (man this is worse than waiting for christmas) :p

Tom;
So whose fault was the past few days? :shrug:

#17 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 19 October 2003 - 09:54 PM

Everything around here goes through Redmond it seems ...

I'm in Woodinville, where are you located?

#18 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2003 - 06:15 PM

Stacy;
I am in Tumwater.
Tracking shows it still in Redmond. (not that it would do me any good today anyway!) :bawling:

#19 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2003 - 07:02 PM

What did it do, get caught in traffic? Yeah, the weather outlook for the week isn't too promising, is it?! I just got my webcam adapter...and I can't use it!

#20 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 20 October 2003 - 11:55 PM

Yes! Talk about rain! DUMPED all day! I just bought a AR5 OTA from a nice man in Gig Harbor. Maybe someday I'll get to use it! I even bought a 45 degree correct image diagonal so I can have a cloud party. Bored? Me? Naw. Still havent been able to try out my Celestron EPs or my new Meade 14mm UWA!!!! :bawling: :confused: :help: :tonofbricks: :crazy:

#21 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2003 - 12:13 AM

I had sunshine this weekend, sorry you didn't get any of that...was able to locate M27 for the first time. I love Gig Harbor...learned how to kayak there...beautiful place. Hope you get a clear sky soon, Stacy...hang in there...still have the ORion 80ED with you or did you return it yet?

#22 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2003 - 12:51 AM

It arrived! :jump:

We left for a dinner engagement at 5:10, it arrived at 5:22.:waytogo:

It's all assembled, took awhile, (it's also my first scope).
Rain, rain, go away; come again some other day.

Oh well, guess i'll go play some bass.:yay: (always wanted to use this Graemlin)

Blessings
Keith

#23 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 21 October 2003 - 01:34 AM

OK Keith,

Just don't do anything silly like clean the optics or take it out in the rain. :)

Sunshine in Portland? Who would have thought??? I'm forgeting what sunshine looks like.

We got FIVE inches of rain today! That's more than we normally get for the whole month of Nov.! Maybe if it all comes down in one day, Keith and I will be able to play with our new toys! :o

Regards,
Stacy

#24 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2003 - 10:29 AM

It is clear as a bell this morning! Will it hold out until tonight, I can only hope! Had I known the weather was going to be like this, I would have gotten up early to do some early morning viewing...drats!

Hope your skies clear tonight, Keith!

#25 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2003 - 12:04 PM

How many days until it's overdue for delivery? On more than one occasion I've seen UPS 5day stuff shipped from fairly close arrive at the local warehouse late day 2/early day 3, and sit there until morning the 5th day.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics