•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sep08 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Sep08 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll! (295 member(s) have cast votes)

Please Choose our Winner!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#26 To_masz

To_masz

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:46 AM

I vote for markseibold.

#27 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:59 AM

Sorry guys, voting ended on the 15th. Check in here every month around the 9th for the poll.

Charlie

#28 Ishtim

Ishtim

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:33 PM

Great work everyone... :bow:

#29 rph

rph

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:20 PM

My vote goes to jeepizoid. Lovely image.

#30 charlie g

charlie g

Ranger 4

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:07 PM

marksiebold holds my vote, the various aspects of Luna (marks two sketches here, my various niteface encounters with Luna recently), all thats going on up there with robotic missions of many countries...marksiebold gives a majesty to exploration, lore, and imagination.

All the artists give great projects, thanks all! charlie guevara NJ,US

#31 dcello

dcello

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:11 AM

Great stuff from everyone! The contest ought to be over with everyone first in their category, but...
Gotta go with Jim Lafferty's for purely subjective reasons of course. The main one being that I don't notice Jim Lafferty in the image itself. It has a sense of purity which transports your imagination across space.
For the very opposite reason I really love iceman's photograph too!
It's interesting that it took roughly 1.6 seconds to make as opposed to the 6 month epic project of Cygnus, which is also amazing.
The moon images are also super so my criterion is simply that today I'm in the mood for some deep space!
Congratulations to all for the top-notch quality of their work.

#32 charlie g

charlie g

Ranger 4

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:54 AM

My vote for markseibold sketches of Luna. I find an appropriate granduer as well as unstated relation between ourselves and our Luna. Those haunting desolate shadows so studied imply explorations now going on 'up there' by howmany different countries/human cultures right now?!!!

All the entries share a skill level and enthusiastic shareing which energizes my refractor visual observing. Thanks all. charlie guevara NJ,US

#33 Rigo Jorgensen

Rigo Jorgensen

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:41 PM

wow, # 2 and 3

#34 hdzmail

hdzmail

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:25 AM

iceman

#35 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:54 PM

These are all great images. Toughest choice yet. I voted for the Moon Mosaic because it was produced by a beginner and it is an awesomely-detailed shot - perfectly exposed. The sketches are great, too along with all the other images. I'd sure like to see photos and sketches compete in their own "categories" so we could give an image in each medium a #1 vote.

Well, thank you Big Eye! . . . And all the others who complimented my lunar sketches. One quoted that my sketch is worthy of a museum! Will someone tell me what museum I should send it too? (;

I just read all these as I was locked out for over a week without my log-on password. Something funny happened on a 6,000 mile 14 day road trip across the continent. I lost my log-in capability. I just received my temp password from a moderator, so I am back, if some wondered why I was not responding lately.

I want to thank all of you for your kind and inspiring words about my 2 recent lunar sketches that apparently, according to Big Eye, would have come in as #1, (if) it were a separate sketching forum from a general photo imaging/sketching forum contest.

I have wondered the same before and maybe made mention with others interjection here as to why photography and sketching are not separated as entirely differing processes in an imaging contest. I have always felt that it is unfair to compare a hand rendered sketch to a photographic machine produced image. Otherwise, as recent NASA research scientists said in an NPR interview, as soon as we have travel capability to go to Mars, we are going to consider taking artists along to do hand sketched and painted renderings of the view standing on the surface. What does this tell you?

As I said, I am more than appreciative of the fine comments from those who recognize the [artistic process] of sketching. I too have delved into many hours previously in the old world of wet film process and have achieved some published awards some years ago; Astronomy magazine published and awarded a couple of my works in 1994 (se my gallery), yet I now find that the artistic process of creating from a totally blank canvas or pastel paper, to be a rewarding experience that is beyond reproach of the technical process of a computerized camera and programming that is aiding in producing an image. Conversely, I would agree that the digital images with said processing here are all beautiful and accomplished works in imaging in their own right. Especially the moon mosaic from a beginner, as many responded. Now I want to copy Jim Lafferty’s nebulous photograph in pastels! Isn’t that a throwback?! Beautiful photographic work Jim!

It is also interesting to note that my sketches came close to a tie for second against the computerized camera imaging. What does this say about the [artistic process] of sketching? I am not bragging here. Putting subjectivity aside and humbly appealing to the new sketchers wherever they may be: I just want those newcomers to sketching to understand that anyone can do what I am doing with pastel chalk on paper in 2 or 3 hours with a little practice and yes, a lot of mistakes! I hope that I can inspire a few more. (; I know that it can be intimidating at first. Ask any good artist if they ever made a mistake. You are in for some great humbling stories. As all those who others consider accomplished artists, most likely started out just like you new beginners. Believe me; I have made many mistakes and I still make them. These recent two sketches, I never considered finished because the moon set!

And I’ll leave you with this. Here’s the worst mistake you can make. Been thinking about sketching but thinking you do not have the talent to do it? Procrastinating? Please, just pick up the pastels and start. In the process of the beginning struggle, you will learn within seconds or minutes. You will teach yourself things that you never thought possible. It is part of the great process of creating . . . Read the tutorials here from the likes of Rich Handy and the all the others that contributed to the book: Astronomical Sketching- I would especially direct your attention to page 88. Sol Robbins comments about the observing and sketching process in great detail. His words on that page are undeniable. By the way, I started sketching maybe when I was 5 or 6. I just bought the book last month. All who contributed from the CN site have some very poignant words in that book. I recommend that even those who think they know it all, should read parts of this book. You will be surprised what can be learned from it, whether you arre an amatuer or professional.

-Mark

I kept a Canadian 20 dollar bill since I crossed the boarder at Niagra Falls last week because I was so impressed with a tiny printed quote on it:

“Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?” ~Gabrielle Roy (1909 ~ 1983)

My Gallery >
http://www.cloudynig...r=37924&cat=500

Also see this for more varied art and my life of sorts >
www.myspace.com/marksolarprophet

#36 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:55 PM

To all

Sorry I accidentally posted twice after not being able to log on for a week!? I did not realize that there were two pages of responses. Thanks again to all who commented on the artwork of my sketching. - Mark

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics