•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questions for the Linux users

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#51 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:14 AM

I had installed anti virus before connecting to the router. This is just a browser exploit inherent in W7 that is not in XP. I had to use Cureit to remove it. W7 is getting attacked constantly setting off alarms, where XP is not. And Linux (Ubuntu) is just chumming along squeaky clean. :grin:
Firefox on all three machines.

Jeff

#52 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:40 PM

That's strange in that IE8 in W7 is getting hit while IE8 in Vista or XP may not. We run FF 3.0.18 or 3.6.0 on all machines but also have the NoScript addon installed. Maybe that's why it's not seen here. Our firewall is also the older version 2.1.5 from Tiny/Kerio and we're behind a TP-Link router. The firewall is a little intimidating at first when when you understand the concept of rules, ports, and IPs, it's quite versatile.

#53 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:12 PM

I've been seeing a LOT of viruses lately that spread via USB rather than the network. It's worth checking for that too, if you've been installing stuff from USB. Quick way to check:

- Open command prompt (start menu -> run -> "cmd")
- Change to your USB drive (it's worth checking c: too) with "cd e:" (if it's drive e..) then "cd \"
- List all files with "dir /a"
- Check for something called "autorun.inf"

Alternatively, plug it into a mac or linux box and look for that file. There's a bunch more files to delete, but that at least neuters it until you can do a full scan.

#54 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:43 PM

I have the autorun feature turned off on all CD drives for the very reason you mention. I've also seen cases where spyware was embedded in music CDs via the extended features scenario. I think Sony did this once and it actually installed a root kit which was supposed to prevent CD copies. As I remember, it backfired and stopped all CD copies. That was about the time I turned off the autorun feature.

#55 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:19 AM

Well that just proves that W7 has a "feature" neither Vista or Xp has. :lol: I have been using NoScript for years. It's one of the best "defenses" out there. Since IE is built on scripting, you just cannot block scripts from running in it. But then again, a lot of the core processes in Windows are built upon scripting to execute. That's why it is so vulnerable to the simplest of malware. A browser has to open the doors to even run, which makes the browser itself the first line of defense. Firewalls can only do so much. You cannot block everything, or nothing would work.

Jeff

That's strange in that IE8 in W7 is getting hit while IE8 in Vista or XP may not. We run FF 3.0.18 or 3.6.0 on all machines but also have the NoScript addon installed. Maybe that's why it's not seen here. Our firewall is also the older version 2.1.5 from Tiny/Kerio and we're behind a TP-Link router. The firewall is a little intimidating at first when when you understand the concept of rules, ports, and IPs, it's quite versatile.

#56 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:24 AM

The "autorun" is so annoying I had turned it off a long time ago, and is one of the first things I do when doing a fresh install. Windoze still scans for new media though, it just won't execute the autorun.inf.

Jeff

#57 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:10 PM

You can also prevent autorun by holding down the left shift key while closing the CD drive and waiting until the scan completes. Turning it off is still the best way.

Yes, Firefox and NoScript is a good way to go.

#58 daev

daev

Technically Enlightened

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:57 PM

You can also prevent autorun by holding down the left shift key while closing the CD drive and waiting until the scan completes. Turning it off is still the best way.

Yes, Firefox and NoScript is a good way to go.

Ditto on the above. Side note: One of the first people to publish the "left shift" key trick was actually sent a Cease and Desist letter from the RIAA. Those clowns make such bad press for themselves. :ohgeeze:

dave

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics