•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Planet Photo Commentary Through January 15th

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Echo

Echo

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 22 December 2004 - 10:56 AM

Please post your Planetary photo commentary here.

#2 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 24 December 2004 - 10:59 AM

subaro,

I'm assuming you want echo to judge the picture on the right... Either way it looks good and thanks for explaining how you did it for us out there that dream of taking shots :) :) :)

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 25 December 2004 - 06:02 AM

Preston,

To be honest, I didn't really think it was a "real" contest, as I never hardly see many comments in the Planet Photo Commentary section.

If it is though, I would prefer that both shots be taken as the same, since they are the same exact image, only with the one on the right having the contrast reduced to remove the "daylight" from the image.

Thanks for your comments. :)

-Robert

#4 square_peg

square_peg

Postmaster

Posted 04 January 2005 - 10:56 PM

Bird, very nice Jupiter.

#5 Bird

Bird

Soyuz

Posted 05 January 2005 - 08:00 AM

And some very nice Saturns! The competition is fierce

Bird

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 06 January 2005 - 02:43 AM

David,

Awesome Jupiter!
One of the best I've seen this apparition.
Very nice work :waytogo:

#7 David Rivas

David Rivas

Vanguard

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:17 PM

Robert,
Thank you very much.
The same could be easily said about your last Saturn: nice detail (despite the poor seeing) and great, amazing image scale!!!!!! (I'm working to get a nice shot at f/30 and with a 1.5 resampling...perhaps until then I'll be able to do some fight to you with my Saturn shots... ;) )
Although I have to do the same(f/30) with Jupiter, I posted my last f/20 Jupiter shot because it shows some detail at an interesting moment.
David

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:01 AM

I think it would be a good idea to have the same setup as in the Camera forum's monthly photo contest, where people can actually vote on entries submitted.

See below for what I mean:
http://www.cloudynig...wflat.php/Cat/1,2,3,4,5,8,9,10/Number/295110/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

And I'd also like to know so far who has been selecting the "winners" (I haven't seen any announced like they do in the Camera forum).
Is it just one moderator etc.?

I think some changes are needed here to make this more fun and to ecnourage more people to enter, and to also at least make some type of announcment at the end of each month, as well as a poll type of vote as seen in the link above.

#9 Blueshark928

Blueshark928

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:29 AM

And I'd also like to know so far who has been selecting the "winners"

I was kind of wondering that myself. I always see the line '...as selected by our readers" and wonder which readers, because i've never selected anything and im a reader. Makes me wonder if its selected by the numbers of hits or views.

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:46 PM

I would also like to say that if it's not a real contest and just a place for people to look at the latest images, we already have the two imaging forums that serve that purpose quite well.

#11 Echo

Echo

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2005 - 07:35 PM

We have a judging panel of 4 members plus 1 "tiebreaker" judge to pick the winners each month.

#12 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 14 January 2005 - 11:06 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I'm guessing you don't like the idea of a vote by CN members, as they do in the Camera forum?

As John said, the title line does read "as selected by our readers."
Maybe should be changed to "as selected by 4 (or 5) of our readers".... :question: :)

#13 Echo

Echo

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2005 - 01:18 PM

Robert,
It's not a matter of liking it or not. This is the way this forum was designed to run from the very beginning. I can address the tag line with powers that be.

#14 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 15 January 2005 - 09:23 PM

:rolling:

Robert...never mind...

#15 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 15 January 2005 - 10:10 PM

Thanks Echo.
Just thought the voting format they use in the Camera forum was pretty cool :cool: and allows everyone to participate - allowing the members to have a say.

Tom, it was a suggestion, which I take you're not very fond of I guess... :lol:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics