•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

re batteries for lx200 gps

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2003 - 05:51 PM

hi all , :help:
I run my gps scope from a 12volt source .
question: if I insert batteries can i then use sleep mode once i have finished session . Then restart scope without having to realign .As when I turn off now (without batteries) each time I turn back on I have to realign scope . :rainbow:with thanks Colin.

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 17 October 2003 - 05:56 PM

Hi, Colin.

There's something wrong there; I park my LX200GPS scope at the end of the night and turn it off as instructed. When I turn it back on it does go to the alignment options in the menu but I mode out of that and select "objects" instead and it's all set.

#3 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 17 October 2003 - 08:31 PM

John,

Not being on a wedge (yet) I'm asking, after you restart your scope from the park position and mode out of the alignment options, don't you have to select a star, get gps fix, goto and sync on it to get proper alignment?

#4 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 17 October 2003 - 08:36 PM

Hi, Craig.

Mine's in alt/az also. I turn it on, mode out of the alignment, and select an object. It grabs a GPS fix and goes there. I suppose I could synch if necessary at that point but it hits the object just fine.

#5 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 17 October 2003 - 08:38 PM

When you park your scope it saves the GPS coordinates and alignment. The Park mode is for a scope that is permanently mounted, but I use it all the time in my back yard because when I set up I can setup usually within a few inches of the last setup and I use my wedge bracket on my tripod mount as a sight and can align the tripod to north. I have a tic mark on the scope and a tic mark on the tripod so when I mount the scope I just skip alignment. Works great for about three or four start ups and then I really need to do a alignment again. Hey it saves time.

Charles

#6 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 17 October 2003 - 08:45 PM

Thanks guys, I have never tried the park feature since I allways have to break down and set up. I just thought I read somewhere that a sync is necessary but I guess not :)

I'll try it next time I'm out. I usually set up in the same place. Lets see how close I can get it.

BTW Charles thats a fantastic M31 you have going there :)

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2003 - 06:08 PM

thanx for all your guidence chaps. I am hoping to get out later on tonight the moon is looking good but very low at the moment.trouble is as usual loads of low cloud Colin

#8 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

Posted 30 November 2003 - 01:40 PM

Hi Charles:
I would think the scope re-aquires the sky when powering back up from 'park' which would include GPS and alignment. The scope should then go to the last target you were viewing. I havent really used the 'park' option yet Since I dont have a back yard to keep the scope outside. I should have tried it this past summer at the SST. Only problem is I use a external battery. I wonder if I was to put the 'c' batteries in the scope but still use the external battery pack during viewing then park the scope for night and pull external battery plug out, do you think the scope would stay in park mode or all settings would be lost? What do you think? :question:

Mike...

#9 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 30 November 2003 - 03:03 PM

Hi Charles:
I would think the scope re-aquires the sky when powering back up from 'park' which would include GPS and alignment. The scope should then go to the last target you were viewing.

Hi, Mike.

It does remember the previous alignment but will re-acquire GPS for time info. No power is required while in park. What's confusing to some folks is that the controller defaults back to the alignment dialogue when turned back on - and if you press enter to go into the alignment routine then, of course, all the stuff it saved when it went into park is gone.

What's required to recover from a "park" is to power the scope back up but DON'T go into align mode. Press "mode" to back out of that and immediately select an object and do a goto instead. It'll acquire GPS lock and then slew to the selected object.

#10 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

Posted 30 November 2003 - 03:40 PM

Hi John:
Cool. Then power off is not a factor. Gotta try it tonight. I cant believe the sky right now (Eastcoast-NJ) is clear! I will setup and then park it for 30-40 minites. See if it re-aquires GPS lock. Right now I am at work awaiting bell to ring ( at 6pm) to get the @#$##$ outta here! :lol:
Mike....

#11 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 30 November 2003 - 03:56 PM

Hi John:
Cool. Then power off is not a factor.

Yup. That's how I use mine, anyway. I connect the battery, turn it on, mode out of alignment, select an object, and do a goto. It pauses while it gets GPS lock and then slews to it. When I'm done I select Park, wait for it to move to the park position, and power it off when it tells me to.

The CGE I had avoided the confusion; when powered on after a "park" it offered "use previous alignment" as one of the first options.

#12 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 30 November 2003 - 05:53 PM

Was Clear! I setup at 5:00 it was clear...5:52 total cloud cover! :tonofbricks:

#13 Echo

Echo

Gemini

Posted 30 November 2003 - 09:33 PM

Craig,
Sounds like here. It's so frustrating.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics