•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Oct08 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Oct08 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll! (608 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Image/Sketch is our Winner?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#26 mihai_sarb

mihai_sarb

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:56 AM

I think that for me (as for many others here) the contest is so close this month that the vote is just a matter of mood (tomorrow I might have voted something else...).

But detail on Io? That won my vote today... (still thinking of the cold nights in Finland for that Butterfly...)
:bow:

#27 RGB

RGB

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:39 AM

Hard to pick a winner IMHO. They are all incredible. Good luck to all and congratulations to whoever wins.

#28 jelwot

jelwot

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:12 AM

They are all outstanding achievements, but M27, wow that is realy something special.

#29 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:59 PM

WOW! What fantastic photos & sketch.

I was torn between the Butterfly Nebula and the photo of Jupiter.

The Butterfly Nebula just got it by a nose (but it was AWFULLY HARD to choose).

As already mentioned, the photo of Jupiter looked just like a Voyager image. How on Earth (no pun intended) did you manage to get such a superb photo??!?

Congrats to all the finalists :bow: (makes me want to give up any pretensions of imaging now)!

Art

#30 ilias200400

ilias200400

Lift Off

Posted 12 November 2008 - 01:40 PM

Didn't know which one to choose, but I also voted for the mooon sketch. Amazing!

#31 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 November 2008 - 01:50 PM

This is cruel and unjust punishment to have some one choose only one winner!

What he said! Man, this one was TOUGH! I finally chose the DSLR of the Horse Head and Flame Tree Nebulas. But if the hand sketch of the young crescent, Jupiter and Io, or the Finnish Butterfly Nebula win, I won't cry. All these are just spectacular entries and worthy of praise. Three cheers for ye artesan blokes. Hip, hip, hooray!

#32 sunnynights

sunnynights

Sputnik

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:29 PM

More wonderful presentations and another difficult choice. Richard's just had that "floating in air" visualization that I find so appealing, and so rare, in a good view, so I voted for this one. Thanks.

#33 DDJ

DDJ

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:54 PM

All of these are grand. I'll never photograph these but I hope to view them. Thankyou for all your fine views of the universe

#34 rumples riot

rumples riot

Gemini

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:27 AM

This is one of the toughest competitions that I have yet entered. The images from all the other categories besides the one my image is entered are simply fantastic work. Whom ever wins, this is so well deserved. Congrats to all other competitors for superb images.

#35 Richard Scott

Richard Scott

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:24 PM

Rumples…
I agree with you on the quality of the other contestant’s offerings. All of them are first rate.

I have followed your work on Jupiter for a while, and I don’t know anyone who has surpassed your captures. Setting aside the favorable location in the sky, You The man!

I have never made an imaging run off before, and when I saw what my M27 was up against, a sigh of resignation followed.

I have no doubt that any of them could make APOD.
Whoever wins this, well done my friend!

Richard

#36 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:05 PM

To all

[quote from Waytoxic] >

"The photographs were great, but the sketch was fantastic. I have trouble drawing stick men. The sketching is a lost art. I liked it the best."

Thank you -

I want to reiterate that sketching art is not really lost; it is just that the digital photography world has oversaturated the internet (ie; cell cameras are everywhere now) which renders hand drawn art as a unique artform again.) Anyone can take the time to try it and practice a little. It only costs your time say, away from a rerun TV show on any clear evening! Perhaps a little initiative and passion of desire to do it. :question:

To those who voted for my sketch, thank you very much; the moderator Charlie, allowed me some extra time to squeeze this entry in just past the date deadline, although I did the entire sketch in about 15 minutes (the terminator line was very roughly rendered in only a 5 minute period with a 14" lunar disc at a remote location due to clouds approaching fast on Halloween evening. I never finished the dark side until later from scratched in reference lines and the earthshine was not completed until another few minutes from quick memory after the moon was obscured by clouds. I had already photographed the nearly finished pastel image that night within minutes of the deadline; so I feel that for those who liked it and voted, to keep in mind that it was my least favorite work of any that I have rendered of celestial attempts at pastel sketching for the past two years, possibly due to time constraints, it turned out somewhat animated and not as surrealistic as I had planned.

So here is the actual final image that I missed getting entered, to photograph until daylight the next morning. - Mark >

My Gallery >
http://www.cloudynig...r=37924&cat=500

Brief photo tutorial below>

Posted Image
Posted Image

*Also, as many asked what else I have done with art; my entire life of art and astronomy can bee seen here >

www.myspace.com/marksolarprophet

#37 cvedeler

cvedeler

Vanguard

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:30 PM

Wow! Pretty amazing work everyone! I'm privileged to have my Horsehead image among such an awesome Dumbbell, truly amazing Butterfly, a Hubble-Like Jupiter and remarkable Moon sketch.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words about my image. Great equipment makes all the difference.

#38 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:16 PM

As always, my great respect to the Sketch entry -- they never seem to win, but they are never fail to impress!

Actually, there have been two months where the sketchers did indeed win the overall contest. ;)

It's tough to do when there are so many wonderful camera/webcam images, though. You guys are amazing! :bow:

#39 WadeVC

WadeVC

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:48 AM

Holy Shmoley...they are all awesome! :jump:

But alas, I have a lot of respect for the talents of the many fine astrophotographers here, but Mark got my vote with his Moon Sketch.

Although only one person can win the contest, the rest are certainly not losers by any means.

Best of luck to ALL the finalists!!

#40 mark47

mark47

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:43 AM

In my book they are ALL winners!! :question:
:question:
:question:

John :bow:

Which to choose?

Fantastic images, one of the strongest contested for a long time. IMHO.

Mark

#41 Thierrys

Thierrys

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:09 PM

They are all great but the sketch is superb! I think I'll
go with it.

#42 StarmanStarman4

StarmanStarman4

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:15 PM

Since I'm typing this on 19th December, I assume the contest is long over! But who cares, I have to say the Horsehead Image looks like a Rembrandt, it should be hung in the Luvre (I'm European, but I still don't know how to spell it), but Mark's Moon Sketch captures that which The Moon doesnt' actually have 'Atmosphere'! He's managed to include in his sketch that feeling of awe, majesty, desolation, wonder, that you sometimes get when you gaze on The Moon and see it as you first did when you were 10 years old! Superb!

Also, Is this Mark Sibole the Astroimager of the year of recent years? He can draw like that too? He must have skipped the queue at the Talent Shop! Brillant!

#43 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:25 PM

StarmanStarman *Edited Dec 21 2008

I had to reread your comment again; I thought I'd add that of you like the "moon with atmosphere", then you should see my most recent one that Spaceweather.com posted. There is even more atmosephere here as a real street scene below the conjunction of the moon-Jupiter-Venus >

http://www.spaceweat...dec08_page3.htm

Or direct link to sketch >

http://www.spaceweat...dec08_page3.htm

Thanks for the compliments on my art. It is really quite easy. There are no tricks. You just get passionate and do what your heart tells you to. It does help to get a head start in childhood though as I see many adults wait till middle age and then ask, how do you do this? They are dismayed when I say stop watching TV when you are about 7 or 8 years of age and take a closer look at reality. Parents, get your kids to start looking through a telescope no later than age 9 ~ 12 but have them start to sketch by age 4 or 5. I believe that the best have really started early in childhood while the others were distracted with perceived technology. Also, what do you mean by, I skipped the queue at the talent shop? I believe "talent" is partially inherant and mostly self taught. As an art teacher responded once in class when a young student asked, how do you make such great art? The teacher exclaimed as he pointed to his temple, it takes a little of this, and then pointing to his heart he said, and it takes allot of this. I believe that pretty much says it all.

As for me being the astro-imager for photography; I am not sure which venue you saw my past astrophotographs in. I have had a couple featured as full page print in Astronomy magazine in Sept and Dec 1994; my Robs Tree photos from central Oregon with star trails (see my gallery link below here). Perhaps your spelling of my name is confusing me with someone else. I see you wrote [Mark Sibole]. My last name is spelled Seibold. I have lived in Portland Oregon all my life, but things may change soon.

Thanks much for the comments on the art as it helps direct me to what I should or might be doing with it. I get requests for its possible use on book covers, company logos, etc. I am not really set up to produce it as such but possibly need to as I am now out of work as of last week. Not to convolute here, but I spoke on NPR's Talk of the Nation earlier this week about the whole situation. I am the opening caller. I would like advice from any of you as I find that my art is drawing awareness. What should I do? -Mark >
http://www.npr.org/t...toryId=98339217

Also see this >
www.myspace.com/marksolarprophet

My Gallery>
http://www.cloudynig...r=37924&cat=500

#44 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:21 PM

Also, Is this Mark Sibole the Astroimager of the year of recent years?

No, although the name is very similar. ;) Mark Sibole's site is Mark's Tin Shed Observatory if anyone is interested in seeing his work.

I have to admit, Mark, I thought you were Mark Sibole the first time you contacted me about sketching and was surprised to see the sketches when I knew of Mark Sibole because of his images. :lol:

#45 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:33 AM

Erika

Yes the name comes in many forms. Just to explain here:

I am not sure of Mark Sibole; as I just looked at his site; beautiful astrophotos! but there is another exact Mark Seibold who is a horse shoe throwing champ in Indiana. I see his name come up in searches. When I was in the 5th grade, age 12, someone brought I think a Newsweek magazine to class; they asked if this 12 year old who looked a little like me was me in the article. It is not.

Also another Seibold, J Otto, is a graphics artist illustrator whose work has been on Nordstrom department store bags, childrens books and more.

Joseph Seibold is a shoe and sandal company in Germany. My name or similar versions may all be relatives of some distant ancestry. The name is out of Bavaria Germany as Seiboltsdorf (for "Seibold's Village" but originally Sebald from the 1200's century in Grmany) and seems to be the inception of many creative German artists.

Now I should follow up to describe to a newcomer who currently asks for advice in the Sketching Forum as to how to get started in sketching art.

Mark

#46 StarmanStarman4

StarmanStarman4

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:40 AM

Here I am late again with the comments! Thanks for the clarification Erika - yes two different but equally talented Mark's. Mark, my comment about skipping the queue at the talent shop is a Scottish way of saying 'your very talented'. Erika, your solar sketches are amazing - I haven't seen sketches of the sun before. Must take great concentration and memory to sketch a constantly changing view - well done! Good luck Mark on the job hunt - I'm in a similar boat but have been very lucky with stepping stones appearing just when I need them. Best Regards, James

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics