•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bausch & Lomb Optical Co.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#26 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:07 AM

All glass is radioactive unless it goes through a special manufacturing process to remove the isotopes. We lost a whole weeks startup of a new wide field IR detector because someone did not do their research and put a standard research grade glass window in the instrument which resulted in the detector seeing nothing but snow unless we pointed the telescope @ a bright IR source. Yep, it was the radioactive isos in the glass window that was the culprit and it would set off a Geiger counter. I think plat glass windows will do the same.

#27 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:00 PM

You guy's are amazing. This information is all new to me and VERY interesting.
I had many of these lenses years ago and built telescopes with them, even a gigantic binocular that would simply blow your mind. I sold them all to a pro photographer.

Robert

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics