•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Texas Star Party April 19-26, 2009

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
405 replies to this topic

#51 neutronman

neutronman

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:43 PM

Howdy all,

The recent Okie-Tex was my first star party. I had a blast and decided I need to go to the TSP. Since my wife is coming along this time, and the word "motel" is music to her ears, we happily got drawn for the motel.

Next question... what are these rooms like? I could find no info or pics. Just curious.

Also, are there any areas better than others for imaging?

Thanks!

#52 Dr Benway

Dr Benway

Vendor - 3D Printed Parts

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:02 AM

Rick,

The ServoCAT is working fine, the Couch Potato Telescope is the bino chair like Ed's. The Mini Tower is the Grab n Go mount that handles all my different telescope configurations.

John,

A lot of people like the Upper field for imaging. I stay in the lower field (by the Highway), because it's not very serious and more fun, IMHO. We do great imaging there, too.

John

#53 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:20 AM

Howdy all,

The recent Okie-Tex was my first star party. I had a blast and decided I need to go to the TSP. Since my wife is coming along this time, and the word "motel" is music to her ears, we happily got drawn for the motel.

Next question... what are these rooms like? I could find no info or pics. Just curious.

Also, are there any areas better than others for imaging?

Thanks!

John,
A lot of imagers prefer the upper field primarily because you have a little more horizon (especially if you are going for those Hydra and Centaurus areas) and the power lines are out of the way. The TAS imagers often set up in the middle west side of the upper field.

The hotels are rustic (i.e., no TV or telephone) but clean, comfortable, and roomy. We are staying in one of the hotel rooms, also. One recommendation, if the days are very warm (which is hard to tell in late April), get the A/C going in the morning or it will never catch up!

The rooms also have porches, which are great for just relaxing. They are all within reasonable proximity of the upper field, which will be helpful, also. They are also within reasonable proximity of the Vendors' Building, which can be a blessing and a curse, depending upon your level of self control in the "Candy Store" (a term one of my friends from PAS uses for that facility).

#54 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:53 PM

I did get my email, by the way, it just got caught up at the server spam filter level and I didn't see the spam report until a couple of days later. Look forward to seeing my old friends again and meeting new ones! :D

#55 Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:49 PM

I've made every TSP since 1991, except 1992, and am thinking this year I might not make the trip. I did get accepted, but the long drive from Indiana, the economy, my now much older vehicle getting up there in miles, etc. might make me take a break this time. However, we have been having a very brutally cold winter with no end in sight and I need to get out of here and go somewhere warm! April can't come soon enough. So, I just may decide to come after all. I did just submit my vacation request for that time slot so I just need to talk myself into actually making the drive.

#56 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:25 PM

Drive, Tom, Drive ;)

#57 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:35 PM

Don't forget the traditional CN milkshake social at about 1:15 p.m. Tuesday at the Fort Davis Drugstore. We'll meet near the registration desk at 1 p.m., unless Steph decides to change the plan.

#58 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:57 PM

I got a bunkhouse.

#59 fireman

fireman

Viking 1

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:34 PM

I stayed in the rooms last year... The rooms are nice. The showers are really small! Like someone else said, if it's hot, get the A/C running early and keep it running. You migh also bring a floor fan just to get the "cool" air running around the room. They also have towels, coffee maker (4 cup). You and the wife will enjoy them.

See you there...

#60 jmartin

jmartin

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:40 PM

Okay, what are the family cabins like. Anyone have any idea.....

Thanks.

#61 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:58 PM

I've made every TSP since 1991, except 1992, and am thinking this year I might not make the trip. I did get accepted, but the long drive from Indiana, the economy, my now much older vehicle getting up there in miles, etc. might make me take a break this time. However, we have been having a very brutally cold winter with no end in sight and I need to get out of here and go somewhere warm! April can't come soon enough. So, I just may decide to come after all. I did just submit my vacation request for that time slot so I just need to talk myself into actually making the drive.

Tom, I could always use a co-pilot. I'm not too far from you and sure we could work something out. I leave very early on Friday morning and get there Saturday as I volunteer to work a couple days. I leave for home on Saturday and get back late Sunday.

Dean

#62 Dr Benway

Dr Benway

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:59 PM

Rick, are you bringing the teardrop trailer?

John

#63 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:58 PM

Don't forget the traditional CN milkshake social at about 1:15 p.m. Tuesday at the Fort Davis Drugstore. We'll meet near the registration desk at 1 p.m., unless Steph decides to change the plan.

You'll have to run it without me, Darrell, I won't be getting there until 3 or 4 on Tuesday this year due to being at NEAF over the weekend and not getting home until Monday afternoon, thus not hitting the road to TSP until Tuesday morning. Best way I could figure out to get to do both NEAF and TSP...

#64 Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:16 AM

Tom, I could always use a co-pilot. I'm not too far from you and sure we could work something out. I leave very early on Friday morning and get there Saturday as I volunteer to work a couple days. I leave for home on Saturday and get back late Sunday.

Dean

Thanks for the offer, Dean. I'll pretty sure that one of my buddies will be making the trip with me if we decide to come this year. We usually leave very early Thursday morning and make it to Ft. Davis by Saturday afternoon. I like to stay in the State Park on Saturday night before heading over to the Ranch on Sunday.

#65 Alvin Huey

Alvin Huey

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:47 AM

Hi Tom,

Did you make reservations at the park? If not, it is full already. You can try Hotel Limpia...my buddies got two rooms there for the 4 of us.

\Alvin

#66 Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:51 AM

Hi,

I just checked online about campsite availability at DMSP and it showed campsites were still available. I did reserve a campsite for the 18th. I booked one of the campsites on the loop near Indian Lodge for $13. This is where I usually spend Saturday.

#67 Alvin Huey

Alvin Huey

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:18 AM

Hi Tom,

Sorry, I thought you were talking about a room versus a campsite. All rooms are gone as we tried to reserve two rooms.

Great. Hopefully we run into each other at TSP.

I'll bring only the 22" and 6" refractor. The 30" stays home. Don't want to haul a trailer 1500 miles.

#68 Dr Benway

Dr Benway

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:51 PM

Tom,

Thanks for mentioning the State Park camping! I just booked a slot for my trailer on Saturday. I am only 324 miles from Ft. Davis, but that saves me a lot of driving in the dark Sunday morning.

John

#69 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:25 PM

Good idea John, I just booked a spot too incase I do not get signed up to work.

My confirmation does not give me a site number, did you get one?

#70 Dr Benway

Dr Benway

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:59 PM

Hi Dean,

No number; it said "site will be assigned upon arrival". It will be on an Indian Lodge loop somewhere. It's good that you got a site. I contacted John Huntsberger and he is planning to stay in his VW Eurovan at my site Saturday night. I will glady take your site if you go on to the Ranch on Saturday. Just don't cancel the reservation either way.

John

#71 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:11 PM

Ok, sounds like a plan.

#72 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:36 AM

You'll have to run it without me, Darrell, I won't be getting there until 3 or 4 on Tuesday this year due to being at NEAF over the weekend and not getting home until Monday afternoon, thus not hitting the road to TSP until Tuesday morning. Best way I could figure out to get to do both NEAF and TSP...

A party without Steph isn't a party. We'll reschedule our CN milkshake social for Wednesday, same time and place.

Of course, Alvin and Dennis and Len and I may go for milkshakes anyway on Tuesday, and Monday, and Thursday, and ... ;)

#73 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:13 PM

Cannot come again this year. I guess maybe next year, or 2011 since I plan to retire mid 2010 if at all possible.

#74 Unknownastron

Unknownastron

Viking 1

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:53 AM

We got our confirmation on the weekend. We will be in a motel room on the ranch this year. We decided hauling our 5th wheel trailer that distance was too expensive and slowed us down. We have used the trailer for 5 years in a row and even though gas prices are (currently)down from last year the prices last year scared us away from the low mileage of hauling. About half the week of the cost of the motel room will be paid for by savings in gas.
We look forward to seeing all of you there again.
Clear skies and Clean glass,
Mike and Anna

#75 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:19 AM

Looking forward to seeing you there, Mike!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics