•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hmmm...what is Meade up to?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
80 replies to this topic

#1 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 December 2004 - 12:14 PM

Check out the Meade Home page, upper right corner.

Meade

#2 TedKord

TedKord

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 December 2004 - 12:59 PM

Probably the 5000 eyepieces. They've got me curious...

#3 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 December 2004 - 01:05 PM

I don't think so they have already announced them and they have them on their site.

I'll take a wild guess....a Big sturdy GEM for 8-14 inch scopes.

Or maybe a self launched "Mini Hubble" that explodes at liftoff, but Meade says a firmware update will correct that problem and offers insurance for to those who have not exploded yet :grin:

Or maybe...

#4 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 28 December 2004 - 01:52 PM

I'll take a wild guess....a Big sturdy GEM for 8-14 inch scopes.

Hmmm. An updated LXD750... I want one!

#5 Bluemeanie

Bluemeanie

Viking 1

Posted 28 December 2004 - 05:40 PM

The LXD-75 1/2 ? :lol:

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 28 December 2004 - 07:40 PM

Rumor has it that its an R/C style scope.

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 28 December 2004 - 08:10 PM

Acually, very interestingly, (and I have no idea if this is correct) but I heard somone very authoratativly say that Meade is TOTALLY redesigning their LX200GPS SCT's!! WOW, woulden't that be unbelivable!!

Awaiting your thoughts...

Rob S.

#8 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 December 2004 - 08:38 PM

An Elite Meade dealer has phoned Meade and all he would say is that they are not dis-continuing the LX200GPS scopes?

An RC style scope would be interesting as would a big beefy, acurate GEM. I guess we will find out soon. :)

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:54 AM

Please educate me - what is an "RC style scope"? Does it has anything with the Ritchey-Chretien optics (e.g. http://www.rcoptical...om/16inch.html) - to do, or does it has something with being "Remote Controlled" to do?

And - why should the new scope (?) from Meade have a GEM (German Equatorial Mount)?

I'm just eager to learn more :-)

...Eirik

#10 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 December 2004 - 08:12 AM

Hi Eirik,

These are just wild guesses on my part. :)

Yes The RC style scope I'm refering to is the Ritchey-Chretien type Cassegrain reflector. Again just a wild guess.

I also guessed a GEM so Meade could compete with Celestron's CGE (GEM) mounts.

I suppose we will find out on the 3d! :)

#11 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 30 December 2004 - 08:00 PM

Same as Grizz said I also ment Ritchey-Chretien but thats just speculation and rumor we will find out on the thrid I guess!

#12 20/20

20/20

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 31 December 2004 - 09:03 AM

I bet it's a Ritchey-Chretien telescope. They're probably doing it so that they can compete with Celestron's C20 Astrograph or whatever it's called.

Just a few more days...

#13 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 31 December 2004 - 09:09 AM

In light of this, should I not take delivery of my LX200 10" and wait for a possible new Ritchey-Chretien? I'm sure it will cost more, but reading the advantages, it sounds very interesting.

#14 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 31 December 2004 - 09:25 AM

In light of this, should I not take delivery of my LX200 10" and wait for a possible new Ritchey-Chretien? I'm sure it will cost more, but reading the advantages, it sounds very interesting.

I wouldn't defer a telescope purchase based on a product announcement. The Big Two tend to pre-announce gear just to keep folks from buying what the other outfit is currently offering. Meade announced their 14" LX200GPS more than a year before deliveries began. Remember when Celestron announced their Nexstar 14GPS in an effort to retain market share and then never released it? If you don't want to be without a telescope for an indefinite period I'd suggest getting something now.

#15 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

Posted 31 December 2004 - 10:44 AM

I agree with John. I ordered an LXD-55 last year for the mount. The delay was so long (thank goodness) I cancelled the order. Ordered a 14" LX200 and got it right away. From what I have seen there is a solid market for good used equipment.

#16 conus

conus

Gemini

Posted 31 December 2004 - 08:42 PM

In light of this, should I not take delivery of my LX200 10" and wait for a possible new Ritchey-Chretien?

Not unless you're willing to part with 20k or so just for an OTA and another 12K to mount it. No matter who makes an RC it will be very expensive, but I don't think that's what they're doing.

#17 imjeffp

imjeffp

Aluminum Falcon

• ***--

Posted 31 December 2004 - 10:24 PM

Maybe it'll be 10 and 12-inch LX90s?

#18 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 01 January 2005 - 02:56 AM

I'm a novice, but I'm learning. You guys are all right, I'm sure. Will continue with LX200 10" order (should be hear within 14 days I'm told. Can't wait.

#19 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 02 January 2005 - 08:32 PM

Hello!
I'm sorry for bad English, it is not my native language.
Someone speaks that Meade will announce a new line of telescopes with Richey-Cretien optics. I don't think so. Now are all RC-telescopes in the market are very expensive. And in general I don't see any reasons, for which they should fall in the price very strongly to become thing, which "will change face of the amateur astronomy". Besides I saw and compared the pictures, which received using 12" Meade SCT and 12.5" RC telescopes. Yes, in general the RC-systems are a little bit better. But I don't see such outstanding difference between these systems for which all people at once would rush to buy more expensive RC systems. The LX200 line of telescopes (and also the new line announced by Meade) is focused on astrophotography. By the way, simple and trivial variant of RC optics isn't suitable for serious astrophotography, and special, expensive "corrected RC" is necessary... It is very expensive and complex... No, I think the Meade will speak in the announce not about the new RC systems...
The second widespread assumption - Meade will announce new German Equatorial mount with precision mechanics to strike out the CGE line of the Celestron telescopes. This opinion might be true... But I do not think so. It seems to me, that precision mechanics in the class of the amateur telescopes don't have serious perspectives in the present situation and in the future.
I don't understand why the people, who bought to themselves precise mounts (which sometime have a price at 10 thousand dollars) have the plans to use it with the optical tubes (which are priced at 3 thousand dollars). :) It is delirium! The film photography is come from the past of the World, and it doesn't have the future! Readout noises of the modern CCD chips are reduced dramatically and there are one million advantages for photography with rather short exposures. Processing of such pictures using modern "image recovery" software yields phenomenal results! If we have a QUALITATIVE system with two axes, then it is perfectly indifferent, one motor or two motors is working permanently...
And consequently there is in general no sense in equatorial mount in the modern and in future world. We have only one problem without GE - a problem with rotation of the field (if we would be fixed on a long-exposure photos). But this problem can be resolved using field de-rotator about 350$, instead of precision equatorial mount for 3 thousand dollars and higher. If Meade's de-rotator seems to someone an inexact - then is possible to design (much smaller in the size than equatorial mount :)) and MUCH more simple, MUCH cheaper new "micrometric de-rotator", conditionally for 700$ (instead of current 350$). So I don't think at all, that Meade will go aside GE mount design. Though this assumption is closer to true, than the assumption about the RC system.
Certainly, already for a long time Meade should replace the plastic wheels and washers in gear system to stainless steel gears and bearings. I think they will make it at last. Situation where we need to buy the Peterson's packages with the substitutes for Meade's mechanic parts is abnormal and cannot be continued. We don't need to f**bleep* with a screwdriver for replacing the plastic gears to the stainless steel gears. In all mechanism something will be improved in new line of telescopes... But, even if the Meade will be made a full redesign of the gear system, if on-axis encoders ("a la Celestron") will be added, then these all modifications cannot change "the face of the amateur astronomy"... And Celestron will tell to us: "yes, Meade is done it! But our system already have all these details five years ago!".:)
Therefore, I risk making another guess:
Meade will supply the new line of telescopes with flip-mirror system (or a semi-transparent mirror) for fast and possibly automatic switching between viewing through eyepiece and a new integrated middle-class CCD camera. New integrated CCD will give to the user (together with a telescope and the corresponding software) the following new features:
- Automatic initial alignment of the telescope by automatic finding and centering of the alignment stars.
- Automatic focusing of the CCD camera itself and all eyepieces parfocal with it or a separate CCD-matrix.
- Automatic and really micrometric precise guiding: instead of use a high-quality mechanics and precise adjusted equatorial mount (screwed into ground :)), Meade achieve SAME or BETTER guiding accuracy using CCD-chip and corresponding software for adjusting to the mistakes in the work of the more cheap mechanics (for backlash correction, PEC elimination and so on).
- At once, from a moment of purchase of a telescope, user will have a high quality (in current terminology) color CCD-camera (of the class of ST-7 or better), supplied "in the box" with the telescope and with excellent software with it. And he/she will see the sky IN COLOR, as on popular pictures!!!
Certainly Meade also will announce of the availability of the new 5000-th line of eyepieces (TeleVue declared discounts for own eyepieces because they are afraid of a competition between the Naglers and new Meade Super Wide eyepieces).
Here is my guess...
P.S. It would be interesting if Meade announces an acquisition of the Santa-Barbara Instrument Group, but company such as Meade usually do not know whom to buy, and not the fact, that SBIG will be sold by its shareholders. :)
P.P.S. Very much less probably, but theoretically it is possible (0.001%), that Meade will present adaptive optics for its own hi-end systems. These systems have a deformable mirror (or other type of wavefront corrector) and Hartman's wavefront detector, capable completely eliminate virtually all instability of the atmosphere - but this is really fantastic guess... :) People in serious "strategic" company told me absolutely unreal price for these systems today (unreal price for amateur astronomy, not for military users). So it still the big fantasy... :)))
Thanks, Julius.

#20 JSnuff1

JSnuff1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 January 2005 - 10:17 PM

You certainly have some very valid and interesting points in there...we shall see in a few hours =)

#21 ghostrunner007

ghostrunner007

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 January 2005 - 10:25 PM

Right on just as saved up for a new scope I can buy a NEW Meade Design.

Mike

#22 mtnmedic

mtnmedic

Late for dinner

Posted 02 January 2005 - 11:56 PM

Wow, Julius...great points! With regard to the RCs, I couldn't agree with you more. I have a funny feeling that this announcement is going to be more about user-friendliness than advanced goodies. The market is about drawing in new hobbyists and to make, say, an 8" SCT even simpler to set up and use would be a big thing. There are some things that could be improved in just about every mount and scope design out there. Now, what seems LIKELY is the addition of USB and even possibly WI-FI / Bluetooth capability, as home Wi-Fi / Bluetooth systems are sharply on the rise. Will that "change the face of astronomy..."? Probably not. While the addition of better networking would be great, it's probably not the "big" thing they're going to reveal.

I'm banking on a moderate-sized aperture SCT that is of radically new design and simplicity in use.

#23 Tim13

Tim13

Viking 1

Posted 03 January 2005 - 12:01 AM

Hmmmmm..... Maybe the success of the low cost Orion ED80 has drawn them back into the low end apo market with a new glass supplier?

Tim

#24 mtnmedic

mtnmedic

Late for dinner

Posted 03 January 2005 - 12:26 AM

Ya know, that's an interesting thought. And it certainly fits my criteria for something that is "user friendly" and easy to setup/use.

Nah. Probably something like "Point it at your street light and it will GOTO and track everything perfectly." LOL! :foreheadslap:

#25 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 03 January 2005 - 03:47 AM

Julius - your guesses seems very likely. I agree with you - Meade will (or at least SHOULD) attack the amateur astronomy market with new (computerised mount w/ CCD & image recognition) technology, and not do what the others already have done. If they don’t, I think your idea for a “telescopes with flip-mirror system (or a semi-transparent mirror) for fast and possibly automatic switching between viewing through eyepiece and a new integrated middle-class CCD camera” is so brilliant that somebody else will launch such a telescope in the (near) future. In that case you should have patented it!

But - the time is now 09:45 (European time) Monday 3rd - and no news from the Meade web site..???

...Eirik

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics