•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Seeing Amazing Things in an 80mm Scope

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2003 - 08:25 PM

Tom;

I posted my initial review of the Stellarvue AT1010 elsewhere on this forum. A couple of comments on your requirements in a "grab and go" scope.

Since you already have a bigger scope, I suggest sticking to an 80mm or less. I almost bought the Orion 100mm f6 and am glad I didn't. After getting the Stellervue I went back and reviewed the dimensions and weight of the Orion and it's heavier tripod. I think it would have been just that much bigger that it would be a significant hassle to move it. I'm over 6 foot, it definately would have been a too much for my 5'2" wife. Also since you have a scope capable of high power without color problems maybe an ED or APO type is not needed.

Some background on why I chose the AT1010 may help explain why I chose as I did. As a newbie buying my first scope I did some visiting at a local star party, and 2 shops, Seans Telescope in Battleground and Anacortes Telescope in Anacortes. My goal is to learn the sky a little better and "just look at stuff." Not very technical huh?:question: At the star party I tried a couple of Dobs and didn't like the "nudge nudge" type of operation. Went to Seans (at night, ya gotta love a scope store open 4pm to midnight) and tried a couple of long tube refractors and a Cassgrain type of scope on EQ and alt-az mounts. Liked both type of mounts and scopes. At Anacortes I tried a Celestron ST-80, a Williams Optics Megrez 80 and a Stellarvue. Megrez was to much money, and I couldn't see much difference in the daytime color abberations between any of them. Decided to find a good used Orion or Celestron 80-90 scope, short or long whatever I found first. Didn't want to by a Mak or Cass type due to the cooldown problems. One thing I do hate is cheap optics (had some bad binocs a while ago drove me crazy trying to focus)I was going to use whatever I bought and go on the wait lost for an Orion 80ED. Weeelll... Stellarvue anounced their sale, some money came available I hadn't planned on, so I jumped on it. I haven't heard of too many people being disappointed in it even if they get a bigger, better, faster scope later.

Hope this helps, as always YMMV.
Good Seeing

Keith

#27 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 October 2003 - 11:35 PM

Well, I decided to buy the Celestron/Vixen 80 afterall! I just need a mount for it now...what do you guys suggest? would the Orion SkyView Deluxe Equatorial Mount handle it quite nicely? Is this considered equivelent to a CG-4?

#28 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2003 - 01:23 AM

Tom,

I talked with Orion about that mount for the 80mm ED I was considering and they said it would handle it well.

Keith

#29 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2003 - 10:17 AM

Thanks Keith, I need a diagonal also...this has added up to the same cost as the Orion SkyView Pro 100 that I was looking at...hmmm... 80mm f/10 vs 100mm f/6...hmmmm...

#30 Blair

Blair

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 October 2003 - 09:43 PM

So Tom, backed out ... going to get the 100mm f/6? :question:

#31 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2003 - 09:57 PM

yep, backed out :(

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics